[1.7.3] Seven Worlds around SLIPPIST-1 (v0.8.0) Update August 8th 2019

Whirligig Girl

On 11/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, AloE said:

1.4.5 EVE spams the log with exceptions SLIPPIST1 = "NullRefference...Object reference not set to an instance of an object" & TRAPPIST1 = " "invalid matrix index!" shown in the following images:

@GregroxMun I have identified that it is planets 1g & 1h that create the error spam that terribly slows things down when they are in view when using EVE.  with version 0.8.0 the error given has a different name than my prior post with 0.6.0 pasted above...I would greatly appreciate your insights as to what I should look for in the configs for 1g & 1h that could cause KSP/EVE to throw such an exception...i would very much like to use EVE with your mod!

EDIT update: it seems to be related to EVE shadows & handling of caster settings for 1f, 1g & 1h...

for TRAPPIST1the exception is not thrown when I remove caster information for 1g & 1h from the SLIPPIST1 "shadows.cfg" & also from "trappist_gravity_model_slippist1.cfg" ...

but for SLIPPIST1 1g also appears to be affected & the exception thrown for 1g is "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I would appreciate your ideas as to what in the caster configs might cause "IndexOutOfRange" exception type problem for 1g & 1h (& also 1f in default SLIPPIST1)

Here is the specific error name in 0.8.0 (KSP 1.4.5 EDU in my case) that spams the console & a link to an album with the video screen record that identifies that it is only caused when planets 1g & 1h are 'in view' = can be below the horizon & cause the error spam: (which only occurs if EVE is loaded, which is why I have kept it out of my GameData folder for now...)

link to album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wcBH3gUvgcGrwtxA6

TRAPPIST1:

1yBGyHa.png

SLIPPIST1:

9NYCkju.png

Thanks!

Edited by AloE

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ravenspetdragon said:

Ladies and gentlemen,  you are about to witness a grown man crying.  I downloaded the ksp 1.6 version and my game won't even load the main menu. All i get is the loading wheel (orbits?) spinning like crazy and nothing else. How di i fix???

In all honesty, I'd start by asking in the support forum rather than here :)

Also we're on 1.7.x now? Not sure why or how you went and got 1.6.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, eddiew said:

In all honesty, I'd start by asking in the support forum rather than here :)

Also we're on 1.7.x now? Not sure why or how you went and got 1.6.

Oh! Sorry. Didn't think about that.

And i (like the dunce I am) bought it on GOG a while back and don't have the money to buy it on steam yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 4:23 AM, SudAntares said:

Does the planets in the hab zone has the scattered ground objects (trees, crystals, geysers, etc) as in the Kerbol system?

unfortunately no, I haven't set up the configs for those.

I love your cinematics by the way! Great work, I especially like the poem in the beginning of the second video! I don't check the forums so often these days, but if you want to get real-time responses to any questions you might have, you can come to my Gregrox Mods discord server linked in my signature.

10 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

unfortunately no, I haven't set up the configs for those.

I love your cinematics by the way! Great work, I especially like the poem in the beginning of the second video! I don't check the forums so often these days, but if you want to get real-time responses to any questions you might have, you can come to my Gregrox Mods discord server linked in my signature.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find you on Discord.

Can you help me?

On 8/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, AloE said:

planets 1g & 1h that create the error spam that terribly slows things down

further exploring reveals that the above appears to be just a couple of the most distant shadow casters...

@GregroxMun I am curious what you found to be the source of the trouble with the atmosphere & ocean settings for scatterer re: 'Scatterer DOES NOT WORK'  -- anything you would like me to keep an eye out for or tinker with?

& the new Principia Frege (Thanks! @eggrobin & @pleroy ) offers some cool new viewing options of the Trappist-1 version of your mod :-)

Constant 'Same Place' Sunrise-Sunset: Trappist-1 Relative Motions (& transit shadow dimming)

Viewing the rapid motion of the inner planets going up to & down from greatest elongation & outer planets rising from dark side & setting to the light side on 1e's trailing 'dusk' line should be pretty wild...I'll have to try creating a simple scenario to explore that.

Thanks to each of you for working together to make this great model system.

Edited by AloE
revised initial video & added constant sunrise sunset cycle video

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 12:04 AM, Hadron27 said:

does this work for 1.8.1?

@GregroxMun  fyi...Kopernicus for 1.8.1 seems to have trouble building some of the SLIPPIST planets (Kopernicus builds .bin files for SLIPPIST1, Bravo, Charlie, Echo but throws an error & stops at Delta in the Kopernicus log):

Spoiler
KSP 1.8.1 SLIPPIST1 Kopernicus Cache
hNzTTzo.png

And, to add some more fun for 'night side' missions on the SLIPPIST1 planets, below is a link to a .zip with a decent draft SLIPPIST1/TRAPPIST1  8k skybox made in SpaceEngine Pro

...looks like the TRAPPIST1 planets may currently have Rigel as a 'South Star" (see animation below looking down on the North Pole of Charlie & more images at this album link )

Also, if you use this skybox with "Trappist1 for Principia" ( fyi..@pleroy ) the Skybox is 'ballpark' aligned with transit timings so stars are approximately where they would appear were one to be located 'over there' near the star TRAPPIST1.

Also, I've only tested the skybox using TextureReplacer in KSP 1.7.3 & 1.8.1 & its for around the current epoch--well at least a good guess--using visualizations in NASA Eyes on Exoplanets, SpaceEngine Pro, GaiaSky, & StarryNight8 ProPlus...

The constellation lines do point back towards Earth's solar system & reveal the general distortion in constellation shape as a result of viewing stars at a specific point away from our solar system...

TRAPPIST1 8k Skybox with Galactic Grid, Constellations & Labels (CC-BY-SA download link to folder with .zip options)

OQ4SBQf.gif

Edited by AloE
update skybox(es) folder link

On 3/3/2020 at 6:04 PM, AloE said:

@GregroxMun  fyi...Kopernicus for 1.8.1 seems to have trouble building some of the SLIPPIST planets (Kopernicus builds .bin files for SLIPPIST1, Bravo, Charlie, Echo but throws an error & stops at Delta in the Kopernicus log):

Kopernicus Expansions is not supported by KSP 1.8.1 and Kopernicus 1.8.1-1. I'm currently working on an update to Whirligig World. After that I may tackle SLIPPIST-1 again.

That's a real cool skybox. Can you make one that looks a bit more realistic? Make the galactic plane much much dimmer/subtler and keep all the stars bright, and without any labels? I think it's really cool that you're able to do that, maybe I can have you make a special skybox for Whirligig World sometime. It's not a real system, but I know where it lies in relation to the Kerbol system, and as of now the Kerbol system uses all real stars.

15 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Can you make one that looks a bit more realistic? Make the galactic plane much much dimmer/subtler and keep all the stars bright, and without any labels? I think it's really cool that you're able to do that, maybe I can have you make a special skybox for Whirligig World sometime.

Thanks :-)  I do hope to do that so I've adjusted the link to point to a folder rather than a single .zip...would be good to calibrate it with Scatterer so that at least the bright stars show in the nightside sky from the surface of Echo etc.  I needed to start with the more 'astronomy' related skybox because the grids & Trappist1 'ecliptic' help get me in the ballpark orientation since the translation between the skybox rotation that SE seems to make appears to be quite different from KSP (at least via TextureReplacer) appears to be something like rotation around X (SE) v Z (KSP) axis I think...once I get that tuned well enough then I suspect that making 'matching' more realistic variations should work fairly smoothly...

& yes I'll be happy to make a special skybox(es) for Whirligig World once I get a bit better at controls in SEpro to position & adjust the stars to better match what I intend (so far the 'preview' in SEpro shows a very different look than what you get when you actually generate the actual skybox, so it has been a bit of an iterative process so far)...SLIPIST1 can be the learning guinea pig ;-)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 4:37 AM, GregroxMun said:

maybe I can have you make a special skybox for Whirligig World sometime. It's not a real system, but I know where it lies in relation to the Kerbol system, and as of now the Kerbol system uses all real stars.

likely easiest way then would be if you happen to know or can ID a real star that is near where Whirligig World is located...(or if there is not one, maybe I can figure out how to tell SE to go to a specific set of coordinates...or scroll to a specific distance from the Sun in a specified direction...etc...)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.