[1.7.3] Seven Worlds around SLIPPIST-1 (v0.8.0) Update August 8th 2019

Whirligig Girl

Download at Spacedock

Download at GitHub

Discuss at Discord

Requires Kopernicus, and Kopernicus Expansions Continued RegionalPQSMods (In version 0.6.0 and 0.7.0, Kopernicus Expansions comes with the mod, you don't need to download it. Make sure you delete the old version of the mod before installing the new version when updating.)

sGnb2Zc.png

The Kerbal Astronomical Union's SLIPPIST instrument (Shadow of Light Imaging of Planets and Planetesimals In the Sky Telescope, not to be confused with the Kerbal brand of Root Beer after which the telescope was named), has just made an incredible discovery this week. The SLIPPIST-1 Star System, around which we previously knew of three Kerbin-sized planets, has been confirmed to be the parent to an additional four planets, for a total of seven. At least three of these worlds are known to be in the habitable zone, the region of space around which water can remain liquid.

uF6e65u.jpg

SEVEN WORLDS AROUND SLIPPIST-1

Rendered in a stockalike art style, SLIPPIST-1 is a Kerbalized rendition of the TRAPPIST-1 star system. Planets have been scaled down to 1/10 scale to fit in the Kerbal universe. By default it replaces the stock system, but there is a setting.cfg that can be used to make the Slippist star system into an alien star system a distance away from the stock system. Seven Worlds of SLIPPIST-1 is an up-to-date depiction of a scientifically accurate TRAPPIST-1. Care has been taken to accurately portray each of the planets without getting in the way of gameplay.

Full album and explanation of the system here.

More Pictures of the Planets:

These pictures showcase Scatterer, which is NOT supported right now.

Spoiler

ieyWe8Z.png

p6kIkek.png

agT1N7K.png

etUQvwP.png

6WBAWrb.png

lKmj3ya.png

hk746P5.png

6WMJemL.png

UliC32n.png

gJLbTs9.png

RdfVQ7D.png

PLANNED FEATURES:

• Asteroids and comets. (Potential early-game landing destinations.)
  • Science Definitions
  • Keep up to date with newer observations
  • Better Scatterer and EnvironmentalVisualEffects compatibility.

INTERSTELLAR CONSORTIUM:

As of v0.7.0, Seven Worlds of SLIPPIST-1 now supports Interstellar Consortium.

There's a settings file in GameData/SLIPPIST-1/SlippistSettings.cfg. Open it with notepad, and you'll find a single setting option: "System Placement = Home." The two options are "Home" and "Exoplanet." If you wish to play from the planet Kerbin and have SLIPPIST-1 be an extrasolar destination like some other star system mods, such as OtherWorlds for example, you must change it to "System Placement = Exoplanet" and the system will be spawned 428 au away from the stock Sun as defined by the Interstellar Consortium guidelines

However, for a more cohesive experience when using multiple planet packs, I recommend installing the IC plugin, so that you can play on SLIPPIST-1 and have the stock system or even play starting from one of the other homeworlds supported by Interstellar Consortium.

LICENSE:

For the beta period at least, Seven Worlds of SLIPPIST-1 is All Rights Reserved.
Kopernicus Expansion Continued is under GNU General Public License.

Edited by GregroxMun

Spoiler

Progress Update:

0emj3RM.png

Hp3biOs.png

SLIPPIST-1d, the closest planet to have a dark side ice cap. 1c is a venusian planet with a hot enough atmosphere to melt the ice, and 1b is either volcanic or has a spin-orbit resonance, take your pick.

Because LandControl is a witch, I create the terrain with a heightmap, procedurally color it with landControl, then edit the map to add the white ice cap. The map goes on both color for PQS and color for scaledspace, and I remove the LandControl coloration.

This method must be reproduced for planets e through g. Despite still having unfinished planets (Laythe, Kerbin-clone, and Eeloo currently represent planets f, g, h) I want to release what I have tonight.

FEATURES

• TRAPPIST-1 analogue with accurate orbits and planetary sizes, Kerbalized as the SLIPPIST-1 system.
  • SLIPPIST-1: A red star with accurate color and reasonably reddish lighting.
  • S-1 b: A volcanic fat Io, covered in an awful lot of volcanoes. (Volcanoes are decorative of course.)
  • S-1 c: A venusian planet with clouds (Kopernicus-based clouds that work by putting a cloud texture in scaledspace and a regular planet in PQS) covered in volcanoes.
  • S-1 d: A hot Duna-like planet with an ice cap on the far side.
  • S-1 e: A mostly procedurally generated Kerbin-like planet, no ice cap or tidal lock yet. (This will happen eventually)
  • S-1 f: A Laythe clone.
  • S-1 g: A Kerbin clone.
  • S-1 h: An Eeloo clone.

DOWNLOAD at GitHub

Edited by GregroxMun

Nice, I was wondering when someone would get inspired!  I have a really odd questions for you.  I would love to try this mod out as if my crew and I where on a ship coming in from a long space journey from Kerbin/Earth.  First off, can you make a version of this without any KSC on any planets?  Second, is it even possible to create a craft file and inject it into the system without the KSC?

If not, maybe its possible to model the VAB, Kerbalnaut Center and a Launch Pad as a Monolith, a rock, and a flat area fill in as proxies for them.  Then we can build the ship and get the crew loaded in the VAB, and then cheat the entire craft/crafts into a incoming orbit, simulating a incoming mission.  Its a perfect system for a sandbox mission like this!  Hope this idea catches your intrest! :D

13 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

Nice, I was wondering when someone would get inspired!  I have a really odd questions for you.  I would love to try this mod out as if my crew and I where on a ship coming in from a long space journey from Kerbin/Earth.  First off, can you make a version of this without any KSC on any planets?  Second, is it even possible to create a craft file and inject it into the system without the KSC?

If not, maybe its possible to model the VAB, Kerbalnaut Center and a Launch Pad as a Monolith, a rock, and a flat area fill in as proxies for them.  Then we can build the ship and get the crew loaded in the VAB, and then cheat the entire craft/crafts into a incoming orbit, simulating a incoming mission.  Its a perfect system for a sandbox mission like this!  Hope this idea catches your intrest! :D

When I release the mod I will include support to put it in another star system "orbiting" Kerbol at 4 light years away (40/10 ly) and I expect @Sigma88 will jump to have more M-class stars in his Galactic Neighborhood mod. Both of those versions will have removed space centers on their planets. It's possible to put a craft in the save file without a space cneter to launch it from, but the space center is how you go to the tracking station Perhaps quickloads could do it. Actually it would be kind of cool to be trapped in a system that has no Space Center, no Kerbin. Only your one space ship operating alone and far from home. That isolation, that feeling that there is no other Kerbal soul in the entire universe except for the ones on your spacecraft...

Remodeling the KSC is however out of the question. I don't even know if it's possible, let alone for me to do it.

10 hours ago, drtedastro said:

what other mod requirements are needed for this?

Kopernicus and its prerequisites.

Edited by GregroxMun

8 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

When I release the mod I will include support to put it in another star system "orbiting" Kerbol at 4 light years away (40/10 ly) and I expect @Sigma88 will jump to have more M-class stars in his Galactic Neighborhood mod. Both of those versions will have removed space centers on their planets. It's possible to put a craft in the save file without a space cneter to launch it from, but the space center is how you go to the tracking station Perhaps quickloads could do it. Actually it would be kind of cool to be trapped in a system that has no Space Center, no Kerbin. Only your one space ship operating alone and far from home. That isolation, that feeling that there is no other Kerbal soul in the entire universe except for the ones on your spacecraft...

Remodeling the KSC is however out of the question. I don't even know if it's possible, let alone for me to do it.

Kopernicus and its prerequisites.

Thanks for the reply.  You get it, what you wrote is exactly what I'm looking for!  I totally forgot about necessity of the tracking station, I guess that could be another rock, lol!  Thanks for additional support version.  I think I finally have a mod idea that I'm willing to do!  I think I'm going to try my hand at making a mod that takes KSC 'out of the loop' by transforming them into something else so you get that experience of vast emptiness.

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

It is currently stable, so go ahead and give it a go.

I may. Is Slippist in orbit of Kerbol or does it take Kerbol's place?

Just now, electricpants said:

He posted earlier that he would eventually add a version that makes SLIPPIST-1 orbit Kerbol.

Then I'll wait patiently.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:51 PM, GDJ said:

Then I'll wait patiently.

As I am not a patient person, I made a set of configs that change the system to another star rather than replacing Kerbol. Copy these into your GameData and you should get the SLIPPIST system around 4 light years from Kerbol.

Do note that this is unofficial and once 0.3 comes out with @GregroxMun's location options, you should use those.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something soonish perhaps, yes. SLIPPIST-1 is now an awful lot of meters away. It's placed at a playable "interstellar" distance. (Same scale as the stars in Sigma88's Galactic Neighborhood) But you can also play in the system (which is actually the default setting.) Planets are also now named by the NATO phonetic alphabet (Slippist, Beta, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel)

I still don't have a proper terrain for SLIPPIST-1e, it's still the placeholder planet with a finite solar day. I have a basic map for it, but development of its terrain is slow because I have to keep rotating the texture in a convoluted way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.