Minmus Mining Site

Hi @Zythium17, the location of ore is randomized with every new game, so there's no way we can give you co-ordinates for a site rich in ore as it could be 100% for me but 0% for you.

You need to use the M700 scanner to get the ore overlay, that will give you a rough map of where the higher ore concentrations are, then you use the narrow band scanner and the surface scanner to home in on a spot rich in ore.

16 hours ago, sal_vager said:

You need to use the M700 scanner to get the ore overlay, that will give you a rough map of where the higher ore concentrations are, then you use the narrow band scanner and the surface scanner to home in on a spot rich in ore.

It's worth noting that you can do pretty well even without using the narrow-band scanner.  (I never use that part, ever... mainly because I find I get along just fine without it, and I find it unattractive.  Not available until the very top of the tech tree; physically awkward to put on a ship; and I find its operation to be cryptic.)

I just get into a polar orbit with the M700, do the scan, then send down a miner to a patch that looks especially "bright" in the orbital scan, and that generally gives me ore levels plenty good enough for my purposes.

i DO have hyperedit though. anyway could i use that to get into a polar orbit? i already have a satillite (sitting there pointlessly) in normal orbit. I'm terrible at the game and i'm using hyperedit to help me with how orbit works before making a ship that goes into orbit so i dont need to keep reverting to the assembly building and im already in the process of making an ssto. slowly. but as i said, im just a poor little kerbal who wants help. :<

Besides even if i were to install mods, i dunno how and i'd also like someway to learn because YOUTUBE DOESNT WORK. *ahem* but neither does google ;-;

Edited by Zythium17

2 hours ago, Snark said:

a patch that looks especially "bright" in the orbital scan, and that generally gives me ore levels plenty good enough for my purposes.

A Surface Scanner Module can increase the accuracy of those bright spots (on hard mode those bright spots frequently contain large 0% ore areas). A few landings of the surface scanner then you can really home in on the good mining site.

But the same as with rockets. If it mines too slow, add MOAR DRILLS!!!
...does not have the same charm to it though :/

3 hours ago, Zythium17 said:

i DO have hyperedit though. anyway could i use that to get into a polar orbit?

You can use Hyperedit to get into any orbit, so yes you can use it to get into a polar orbit.

Go into map mode, so you can see your ship and the world you're orbiting. Click "orbit" on Hyperedit to bring up the orbit window, and then click "graphical". Leave all the sliders alone except "inclination". Drag it back and forth and you'll see the effect it has.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

You can use Hyperedit to get into any orbit, so yes you can use it to get into a polar orbit.

Go into map mode, so you can see your ship and the world you're orbiting. Click "orbit" on Hyperedit to bring up the orbit window, and then click "graphical". Leave all the sliders alone except "inclination". Drag it back and forth and you'll see the effect it has.

I'll try it. Thanks! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.