Computer Purchase Suggestions

Im thinking about getting a computer, specifically for running KSP with RSS full resolution, RSSVE, and any other combination of mods I may desire. I currently use a....

Mac mini (Late 2014) 

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics:  Intel Iris 1536 MB

Explain to me just what exactly would be ideal to run KSP comfortably with RSS, RSSVE, and anything. What type of computer, OS, performance. Whats Ideal for this?? Cheap, or not, just tell me what would be ideal. Because I'm telling you, my current computer can't run it very well at all. 

Looking at the specs you mentioned the processor is okish. Looks like a low end i5 by current standards. The memory really shouldn't be an issue. For 99% of gamers 8 is ample so 16 is no issues there. Integrated graphics cards kinda suck and I think that is most probably where the issue is. 1536 MB looks nice but i wouldn't be surprised if it equated to sub 1gb.  Finally its a mac :sticktongue: windows has the least issues in general for gaming. 

So a new rig. If you want to keep to macs I dont have a clue, laptops can be ok but if its gunna stay in 1 place then an equally priced pc will give you much more for your money. (actually on that note are you comfortable building pc's?). 

It would help to know the budget and what you actually need from it. laptops can be moved around, not enough room for a desk and pc and so on, like taking it to work or whatever. With a pc you also need peripherals and its not worth buying the super XXXXXL graphics card if the 18 inch 1600x900 monitor now introducing technicolor wont allow for the 4k textures anyway. 

For a really decent pc that should last a good 5 years i would recommend GTX 1060 £200 (1070/80 become more expensive but are excellent), any i5 that is between £150 and £200 around a 3/3.3Ghz ~6mb cache. can you detach your ram if not maybe just upgrade to ddr4 and get 8gb £100 ish or 16 £220 ish. power supply the corsair 850M should be fine maybe could go with less but about £100. cpu cooler are like £40 for a good one. any motherboard with good reviews for around £80-100 should do the trick. Mouse and keyboard are cheap as you want. I recommend a 144hz £200 monitor seeing as if you are anything like me you spend a lot of time looking at things on the screen so its worth having slightly better quality. Throw in a couple of fans for £20 a 1tb HDD for £50. (SSD quicker but more pricey samsung 850 is good)

I appreciate I have just really vaguely quoted a 1200 PC if you are happy building it. I tend to just replace mine every 5-7 years so spend probably too much when i do. 

You can defiantly find good PC's that will be half the price and possibly pre-assembled that will run most things on custom high with shadows down and last for 3-5 years slowly dialing the graphics back. Or double the price and have enough specs to run 5 ksp's at once.

Really round about summary though. I have a hunch that any rig with an i5, 8gb ram and a 2gb + dedicated graphics card will be fine. I think your main issue is the integrated graphics card. 

My recommendation would be to build a pc around the gtx 1060/70/80 dependent  upon your budget. even if you replace the other parts in 2 years those graphics cards are seriously good. The AMD Polaris GPU's have had good feedback as well it seems. 

let me know if you want specific stuff and when i get home later/tomorrow i will try and find something that suits your needs. 

1 hour ago, Samszee said:

Looking at the specs you mentioned the processor is okish. Looks like a low end i5 by current standards. The memory really shouldn't be an issue. For 99% of gamers 8 is ample so 16 is no issues there. Integrated graphics cards kinda suck and I think that is most probably where the issue is. 1536 MB looks nice but i wouldn't be surprised if it equated to sub 1gb.  Finally its a mac :sticktongue: windows has the least issues in general for gaming. 

So a new rig. If you want to keep to macs I dont have a clue, laptops can be ok but if its gunna stay in 1 place then an equally priced pc will give you much more for your money. (actually on that note are you comfortable building pc's?). 

It would help to know the budget and what you actually need from it. laptops can be moved around, not enough room for a desk and pc and so on, like taking it to work or whatever. With a pc you also need peripherals and its not worth buying the super XXXXXL graphics card if the 18 inch 1600x900 monitor now introducing technicolor wont allow for the 4k textures anyway. 

For a really decent pc that should last a good 5 years i would recommend GTX 1060 £200 (1070/80 become more expensive but are excellent), any i5 that is between £150 and £200 around a 3/3.3Ghz ~6mb cache. can you detach your ram if not maybe just upgrade to ddr4 and get 8gb £100 ish or 16 £220 ish. power supply the corsair 850M should be fine maybe could go with less but about £100. cpu cooler are like £40 for a good one. any motherboard with good reviews for around £80-100 should do the trick. Mouse and keyboard are cheap as you want. I recommend a 144hz £200 monitor seeing as if you are anything like me you spend a lot of time looking at things on the screen so its worth having slightly better quality. Throw in a couple of fans for £20 a 1tb HDD for £50. (SSD quicker but more pricey samsung 850 is good)

I appreciate I have just really vaguely quoted a 1200 PC if you are happy building it. I tend to just replace mine every 5-7 years so spend probably too much when i do. 

You can defiantly find good PC's that will be half the price and possibly pre-assembled that will run most things on custom high with shadows down and last for 3-5 years slowly dialing the graphics back. Or double the price and have enough specs to run 5 ksp's at once.

Really round about summary though. I have a hunch that any rig with an i5, 8gb ram and a 2gb + dedicated graphics card will be fine. I think your main issue is the integrated graphics card. 

My recommendation would be to build a pc around the gtx 1060/70/80 dependent  upon your budget. even if you replace the other parts in 2 years those graphics cards are seriously good. The AMD Polaris GPU's have had good feedback as well it seems. 

let me know if you want specific stuff and when i get home later/tomorrow i will try and find something that suits your needs. 

• Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core Processor (8MB Cache, 4.5GHz-4.5GHz) 91W

• CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler

• RAM: 32GB DDR4-2800 | Hard Drive: 512GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD (up to 1775MB/s read and 560MB/s write) + 4TB Solid State Hybrid Hard Disk Drive

• Graphics Card: NVIDIA (MSI Brand) Geforce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Motherboard: MSI Z270A

Would this work?

Its gonna cost me, but I want to make this a one and done purchase lol. Anyway, would this setup work okay?

Edited by ISE

1 hour ago, ISE said:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Quad Core Processor (8MB Cache, 4.5GHz-4.5GHz) 91W

• CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler

• RAM: 32GB DDR4-2800 | Hard Drive: 512GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD (up to 1775MB/s read and 560MB/s write) + 4TB Solid State Hybrid Hard Disk Drive

• Graphics Card: NVIDIA (MSI Brand) Geforce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Motherboard: MSI Z270A

Would this work?

Its gonna cost me, but I want to make this a one and done purchase lol. Anyway, would this setup work okay?

@ISE those specs would work. you could prob even go with a higher end i5 instead of an i7. you wont need the power of an i7 unless your streaming or doing something like video editing. other than that your system look pretty good. i would also recomend posting this in the unoffical computer buying/build thread. i will include a link to it for u 

KSP Unofficial Official Computer Building/Buying Megathread. (All Questions Acceptable.)

11 minutes ago, JWOC said:

@ISE those specs would work. you could prob even go with a higher end i5 instead of an i7. you wont need the power of an i7 unless your streaming or doing something like video editing. other than that your system look pretty good. i would also recomend posting this in the unoffical computer buying/build thread. i will include a link to it for u 

KSP Unofficial Official Computer Building/Buying Megathread. (All Questions Acceptable.)

Thanks :) and yes I already was there, they helped too! This computer I'm getting is god. 

thats gunna be an incredible pc. JWOC is fully correct ab out the i7 but heck if you can afford it then go all out :D hahaha thats actually going to be god mode ( that will also be incredible for VR if you ever get into that)

edit : do you know the power supply your getting? if cost is no issue the corsair CS 850M gold will be more than you need, but if power issues happen they can destroy the rig pretty much instantly, so its best to just go over the top than go under. 

Edited by Samszee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.