Stock VTOL Showcase

Here's my stock F-35 replica, complete with a swivel VTOL engine.

nXd1AA1.gif

Works just as well as the real thing, without the "break mach 2" or the "reinvent air warfare" part of it.

44 minutes ago, Servo said:

Here's my stock F-35 replica, complete with a swivel VTOL engine.

nXd1AA1.gif

Works just as well as the real thing, without the "break mach 2" or the "reinvent air warfare" part of it.

I am honoured that you even looked at this because I know the kinds of things you do and I am very impressed thank you

49 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

I am honoured that you even looked at this because I know the kinds of things you do and I am very impressed thank you

Thanks man, But if you think my stuff is impressive, take a look around the forum. People are always trying new and crazy things. I'm still in awe of @Azimech's turboshafts and @klond's mechanical creations. 

Everything I or anyone has made was built on the backs of giants. I was inspired by @Torquimedes's F-14 and @Majorjim!'s thermometer hinges to build the VTOL engine. 

Take inspiration from others, and don't be afraid to innovate on their designs (just give credit where credit is due). 

5 hours ago, rkarmark said:

Try, crash, do tweaks, repeat. 

Or use Throttle Controlled Avionics

Yup that is my process.

Just minus the TCA 

8 hours ago, Servo said:

Thanks man, But if you think my stuff is impressive, take a look around the forum. People are always trying new and crazy things. I'm still in awe of @Azimech's turboshafts and @klond's mechanical creations. 

Everything I or anyone has made was built on the backs of giants. I was inspired by @Torquimedes's F-14 and @Majorjim!'s thermometer hinges to build the VTOL engine. 

Take inspiration from others, and don't be afraid to innovate on their designs (just give credit where credit is due). 

Okay will do, thanks!

Also wondering Servo, since I play ksp on a Xbox (easyer controls) I don't think I can make a swivel engine?

Edited by SinisterSonar

2 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Yup that is my process.

Just minus the TCA 

Okay will do, thanks!

Also wondering Servo, since I play ksp on a Xbox (easyer controls) I don't think I can make a swivel engine?

sure you can, you'll just have to build your own thermometer hinge.

6 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya but during the hinge is the hard part because I would have to go to the map view to change craft

I would make one for you but I don't think you can install others craft files on the Xbox.. 

You will have to give it a go yourself, just stick at it and ask if you get stuck, peeps here are very willing to help! :-)

2 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I would make one for you but I don't think you can install others craft files on the Xbox.. 

You will have to give it a go yourself, just stick at it and ask if you get stuck, peeps here are very willing to help! :-)

Ya I have tried but I just don't know what parts to use :/ and no you can't install craft files

Edited by SinisterSonar

5 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya I have tried but I just don't know what parts to use :/

Well the thermometers are the 'cage' or the outside of the hinge. Use eight of them in an octagon shape. Inside that you can use a small antenna, although using a linear RCS port is more reliable and strong for heavy mechanisms. 

Edited by Majorjim!

35 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Well the thermometers are the 'cage' or the outside of the hinge. Use eight of them in an octagon shape. Inside that you can use a small antenna, although using a linear RCS port is more reliable and strong for heavy mechanisms. 

Okay il try that

13 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya but during the hinge is the hard part because I would have to go to the map view to change craft

You can make them without switching craft. Both of the ones I uploaded, plus I think Servo's F-35, have actuators that allow the hinges to pivot without any craft switching shenanigans. Airbrakes are what I use, but I think you can use landing gear too.

5 hours ago, A_Because said:

You can make them without switching craft. Both of the ones I uploaded, plus I think Servo's F-35, have actuators that allow the hinges to pivot without any craft switching shenanigans. Airbrakes are what I use, but I think you can use landing gear too.

Maybe I'll have to try

45 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Maybe I'll have to try

Definitely! 

Make sure the pushing part (leg, airbrake Ect) are on the main craft then all you have to do is separate the moving part and you never have to select it (making sure it can dock to a second port of course) :-)

27 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Definitely! 

Make sure the pushing part (leg, airbrake Ect) are on the main craft then all you have to do is separate the moving part and you never have to select it (making sure it can dock to a second port of course) :-)

Ya I still can't get the hinge right 

16 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya I still can't get the hinge right 

Just keep trying man, it's rare that they work first time. Remember you need a 'stopper' for the central part to keep it centralised. Put this on the outside of the cage. 

Try moving the cage little by little to get the right clearance for the bearing. I can only imagine how hard it must be to do that with a joy pad. 

14 hours ago, A_Because said:

I don't know about the others' designs, but on my F-35, you have to switch crafts to keep the throttle up after decoupling. In order to create one that doesn't require craft switching, you need to have two docking ports that it switches between. @JollyGreenGI has a F-35 that can be flown without switching craft, for example. 

8 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Just keep trying man, it's rare that they work first time. Remember you need a 'stopper' for the central part to keep it centralised. Put this on the outside of the cage. 

Try moving the cage little by little to get the right clearance for the bearing. I can only imagine how hard it must be to do that with a joy pad. 

What are the parts in the hinge I can't see them in the pics. Does this require part clipping?

Edited by SinisterSonar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.