[1.2.2] KerbalismSimplified [1.1.5]

theJesuit

Download: at SpaceDock

KERBALISMSIMPLIFIED 1.1.5.20170402
Produced by theJesuit

Licence: Unlicence

For Kerbalism 1.2.3 (KSP 1.2.2) AND IT REQUIRES THE KERBALISM MOD and any mods Kerbalism relies upon!

This mod is a profile for Kerbalism by Forum User @ShotgunNinja.  It's purpose is to provide a simplified Life Support system for Kerbalism whilst retaining the awesomeness of mod.

INSTALLATION:

• Download at SpaceDock.
  • Copy the AngleCanMods folder into your Gamedata folder.

THEN

• Edit the Settings.cfg in Kerbalism and change the following settings:
  • Profile = simplified

I also recommend changing in Settings.cfg:

• Signal = false
  • Science = false

By turning these off, the stock communication system will be used.  Science data will be able to be stored and transmitted as in stock.
KerbalismSimplified will retain the changes to the Science values, the transmittablity of the Materials Bay and Mystery Goo and the 100% transmittable science from other experiments.

If you don't want atmospheric leakage, then remove the following lines from the Simplified.cfg
 Process
  {
    name = atmo leaks
    modifier = surface,breathable
    input = [email protected]        // becomes 1 unit every 30 days
  }

CHANGELOG

Spoiler

• Added back in Atmo Leaks at rate of [email protected] (1 unit every 30 days) to Simplified.cfg.  This may [slowly] impact current craft.  See installation instructions above on how to not implement this if you are installing on a current save.
  • Removed SimplifiedSettings.cfg as it didn't work.
  • Removed the dataScales from the SimplifiedScience as it required massive amounts of electricity to transmit any data making it impractical.  This only affects Simplified if Science is turned to false.
  • Updated the Installation Readme with instructions, the KSP version number, the Changelog and Life Support changes and the Future Changes.

Initial Release.

HOW HAS LIFESUPPORT CHANGED?

• Life support is based on two components, Consumables (which is food and water), and Air.
  • The units used for the Life Support are based on 1 unit per day per kerbal.  A kerbal will consume .5 Consumables every 3 hours.  Air is consumed at a continuous rate which equates to 1 unit per day.
  • Kerbals will produce ConsumedWaste (faeces and urine) and BadAir.

• Radial Tanks can be configured for Air, BadAir or both.
  • Inline Storage can be configured to store Consumables, ConsumedWaste or both.

• Habitat Pods (Command Pods, Hitchhiker etc) can contain up to 3 days (3 units) of Consumables and Air per seat, and store up to a day's worth of ConsumedWaste and BadAir.  If there is no storage for the ConsumedWaste and BadAir these are dumped overboard.

• Scrubbers installed and turned on in pods will convert BadAir to Air.  There are no non-regen scrubbers (from Kerbalism 1.2.3) for EVA.
  • The Greenhouse will take both BadAir and ConsumedWaste and produce a crop of 120 units of Consumables every 30 days.  Air is produced continuously.  This should be enough to replenish supplies for 4 kerbals over 30 days
  • The Chemical Plant is able to extract ConsumedWaste and BadAir from Ore and Electricity.  Add this to a Greenhouse to be able to create a new supply for additional food beyond what you bring from Kerbin.
  • The Chemical Plant can also be configured to convert BadAir to Air with Electricity effectively acting as a more powerful scrubber.
  • The stock drills and ISRU units now will work as in stock.

• You no longer must worry about Ammonia, Hydrogen or Nitrogen, nor pressurization of your crewed modules.  Pressurization is modelled now only by the gradual loss of Air through leaks.  This is at a rate of 1 unit of Air every 30 days.
  • Off world you will need to resupply by mining and converting Ore.

WHAT IS STILL THE SAME?

• ElectricCharge changes by Kerbalism from Stock
  • Climatization,
  • Radiation and Space Weather
  • Stress

So you will still need to worry about shielding and electricity and your kerbals being happy.

FUTURE CHANGES

• I would like the air leakage to decrease based on the technology tree.
  • I will probably need a balance of the masses of resources, and the efficiency of the Greenhouse, Chemical Plant.  I would also like to reintroduce the Atmospheric intakes for planets and moons with an atmosphere.

Enjoy and please give comments and feedback below!

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Update to 1.1.5.20170402

1 minute ago, Elkram said:

I was thinking on installing Kerbalism and tweaking it a little but your work is what I was thinking so I'm giving it a try tomorrow.

Awesome. Please let me know what the balance feels like.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

I still got almost no time to play but I noticed the habitats were everywere and since its a mechanism I dont want and it's already not working I renamed the file habitat.cfg to habitat.cfg-disabled  so the module habitat is not added to the pods and cabins, but I did not try if it works like that. Now to work, will give it another try later. Posted this just so you know.

Edited by Elkram

8 minutes ago, Elkram said:

I still got almost no time to play but I noticed the habitats were everywere and since its a mechanism I dont want and it's already not working I renamed the file habitat.cfg to habitat.cfg-disabled  so the module habitat is not added to the pods and cabins, but I did not try if it works like that. Now to work, will give it another try later. Posted this just so you know.

Awesome.  I wonder if getting rid of habitat affects shielding as radiation is still implemented. If it doesn't then I'll see about dealing with it in an update.

Thanks forbtge feedback :)

Peace.

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Awesome.  I wonder if getting rid of habitat affects shielding as radiation is still implemented. If it doesn't then I'll see about dealing with it in an update.

Thanks forbtge feedback :)

Peace.

Interesting I supose I'll find out later.

Tested it a little, looks like it works.

Edited by Elkram

8 hours ago, Elkram said:

I'll look into getting rid of the Habitat option thing and putting out an update after the weekend.  Thanks for the help!

Peace.

17 hours ago, rkarmark said:

You need a licence i have asked a moderator to lock this untill you get a licence

17 hours ago, diomedea said:

Thanks for your cooperation, however Unlicense (stated already in the OP) is a valid one, same as to declare it Public Domain.

Hi rkarmark, Unlicense is the same license as Kerbalism itself.  Thanks for the interest, and pointing out the prior inclusion of the licence diomedea!  Peace.

14 hours ago, Elkram said:

I deleted the Habitat.cfg completely, and shielding is now removed.  Before this, when disabling the habitat option in the GUI (in teh editor) it also crosses out shielding so it appears that this is tied directly together, which makes sense as the Habitat.cfg defines the surface area and therefore amount of shielding mass to add to the craft (the volume I'm guessing would relate to the mount of atmosphere and pressure, but that is currently not used in Simplified!)

Shielding is a resource that is defined with the Resources.cfg and is located under the heading of Kerbalism mechanics.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be way to disable FeatureHabitat, as it isn't listed under the settings.  It may be that @ShotgunNinja could shed some light but only if he wants.

I don't see any issue if you want to delete the habitat.cfg, but given the Simplified doesn't remove the radiation mechanic, you may find that shielding is impossible.

Peace.

5 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I deleted the Habitat.cfg completely, and shielding is now removed.  Before this, when disabling the habitat option in the GUI (in teh editor) it also crosses out shielding so it appears that this is tied directly together, which makes sense as the Habitat.cfg defines the surface area and therefore amount of shielding mass to add to the craft (the volume I'm guessing would relate to the mount of atmosphere and pressure, but that is currently not used in Simplified!)

Shielding is a resource that is defined with the Resources.cfg and is located under the heading of Kerbalism mechanics.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be way to disable FeatureHabitat, as it isn't listed under the settings.  It may be that @ShotgunNinja could shed some light but only if he wants.

I don't see any issue if you want to delete the habitat.cfg, but given the Simplified doesn't remove the radiation mechanic, you may find that shielding is impossible.

Peace.

¡Oh! I'm sorry. Looks like I made you waste your time. I did not have too much time to play and it really looked like everything was working.

15 minutes ago, Elkram said:

¡Oh! I'm sorry. Looks like I made you waste your time. I did not have too much time to play and it really looked like everything was working.

No worries! To be fair I haven't had the time myself to have a decent play through with it, it has only been play testing.  I am thinking though that I will probably go for the atmospheric pressure module to need a resupply of atmosphere every so often, if only to suggest that a trip to Eeloo isn't just having a greenhouse on board for a closed life support.  Otherwise, we may as well increase the mass of the habitat modules and play with no life support at all!

The big question is how much should be lost - I'm thinking 1 unit (i.e. 1 day) of air every 30 days.  I believe Kerbalism vanilla uses a formula to work this out based on the amount of volume of inhabited space.  I'll have to spend some time on it in the weekend.

Peace. 

The Habitat feature is turned on if any other features that depend on it is enabled (such as Shielding, Pressure, Poisoning, Living Space). Only resources in use are added to the habitat, so with only Shielding enabled, the habitats only get Shielding resource capacity. Removing habitats completely is possible, but it mean disabling all the dependent features mentioned above.

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The Habitat feature is turned on if any other features that depend on it is enabled (such as Shielding, Pressure, Poisoning, Living Space). Only resources in use are added to the habitat, so with only Shielding enabled, the habitats only get Shielding resource capacity. Removing habitats completely is possible, but it mean disabling all the dependent features mentioned above.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.  

Looking at this, in the next update I'll include a simplified pressure mechanic as I talked about two posts up.  Shielding and Living Space continue but poisoning has been removed with the simplification of the simplified life support; if the kerball runs out if Air, it dies.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Updated - fixed are re-simplification of the transmittable rates for science if you want stock signal and science (keeps the altered Kerbalism values and transmittable still)

Added atmosphere leakage.  Instructions on how to not have this especially for current saves.

Enjoy. 

11 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

I would suggest you do apply a license since apparently no licence means All Rights Reserved?

@MaxZhao you were ninja'd on 28 Feb 2017 by the OP when I stated the licence was Unlicence.  This is the same licence used as ShotgunNinja in Kerbalism as I use some of his code.  

You also aren't the first to bring it up, and so prompted me to add the same link to Unlicence as Kerbalism has in its OP.  Thanks for the prompt!

Peace.

Now that Kerbalism 1.2.2 is out...  Simplified should still play as it has done.

Simplified doesn't contain the latest additions such as converting waste to shielding, or the monoprop to water+ nitrogen (as their is no need).

I like the idea of waste to shielding, if shielding was something that was lost.  I'm unsure that it would really add anything to Simplified.  If I'm wrong someone let me know and I'll create an update.

... unless shielding is something that you want to add later if you are shipping an unmanned base to the outer system and want to add shielding when your kerbals arrive...

I'll contemplate it.  Again, let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

An Update!

Rescue contract gift resources should now be fixed with updated values of approx 15 days - I may have to alter this as I still give 1000units of EC. Any suggestions?

I looked at adding in the new non-regen scrubbers for EVA kerbals, but decided not too.

Peace.

2 hours ago, TheFranchise1024 said:

Really enjoying this mod so far, I found that Kerbalism was a bit too intense for me so this simplified version is really great. One question though, I set signal to false and now there is no communications toolbar or commnet lines. Is there a way to bring this back?

@TheFranchise1024, yes.  I do remember having the issue myself at some point - but I can't remember, I think it was because I update Kerbalism itself and didn't change the settings again!  I'm a little tied up at the moment so I'll have a look later.

Thanks for the encouragement.

EDIT - Think I found what may be the issue based on experience noted above too.

1. Close the game
  2. Go to your Saves folder (instead of Gamedata), then the folder of your save.
  3. Find the persistence.cfg file.  This is your SAVE.  If you break it, you lose your hardwork!
  4. Make a copy and call it anything.  Like, persistence-copy.cfg
  5. Open the persistence.cfg using Notepad (or Notepad++ if you have it installed)
  6. Look for the difficulty settings entitled DIFFICULTY, should be about 70- 80 lines down.
  7. If EnableCommNet = False, then change it to EnableCommNet = True
  8. Save the file.
  9. Load the game and see if that helps.

Let me know if that worked for you!

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Solution

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.