No connection to relay

Hello dear KSP fans , 

I've got two probe controlled satellites. The first one is placed around 3 000 000 m from Kerbin and is equipped with Relay antenna RA-2, and the second one is placed around 14 000 000 m and has Communotron 16. Even though they are closer two each other then to the second one to Kerbin there is no connection between them . I've checked network map and there isn't even a line connecting them. The connection only appears when they are about 10 000 or so meters. I'm pretty i'm doing something wrong here and I'll be gratefull for help 

Welcome to the forums! :)

Does the Communotron-16 have a link to the DSN (Kerbin ground stations)? Antennas prefer the strongest link available, and the DSN is incredibly strong. A level 2 or higher tracking station at 14,000,000m distance will effortlessly overpower an RA-2 at 11,000,000m distance. In a standard game, there are ground stations all around Kerbin, so one station will always be able to see the distant satellite.

You probably get a connection via the relay when the two sats are very close to each other because only at that point does the relay become a more attractive link strength than the direct link to the DSN.

Edited by Streetwind

That wouldn't stop the link from showing up on the map, though ... is the antenna extended?  Your internal antenna likely has the reach for Kerbin but not the RA-2 except at very close range.

For that matter, what sort of signal strength to Kerbin are you getting?

Edited by Kryxal

3 hours ago, Feonr said:

The first one is placed around 3 000 000 m from Kerbin and is equipped with Relay antenna RA-2, and the second one is placed around 14 000 000 m and has Communotron 16. Even though they are closer two each other then to the second one to Kerbin there is no connection between them . I've checked network map and there isn't even a line connecting them. The connection only appears when they are about 10 000 or so meters.

Your Communotron-16 ship should have a range of 31 thousand kilometers when talking to the RA-2... if the antenna is extended.

If the antenna's retracted, then you have only your probe core's built-in antenna to work with, which would have a range of 3160 km when talking to the RA-2.

I'm having trouble coming up with any scenario where they'd only communicate with each other within a 10 km distance.

And here comes the sad moment of truth, it turned out i wasn't even aware that communotrons are extendable , so I checked and as Kryxal said there is connection to satellite so thanks again. Still it seems I should place this relay antena carrying probe in the greater distance to kerbin for it to be meaningfull 

1 hour ago, Feonr said:

Thanks for reply!

The problem is, the link to DNS exist but it's so weak it's limiting my movement (cannot warp, only basic operations) so I was wondering if adding Relay satellite would reduce the problem. 

Looks like @Snark and @Kryxal have it right, then. Your Communotron-16 is not extended.

The maximum range between a level 2 tracking station and a basic internal antenna (which all probes and pods have) is between 15 and 16 thousand kilometers. You say your craft has a super weak link when it's at around 14 thousand kilometers away (possibly varying in altitude and going a bit further than that). That and the fact that your craft is only connecting to the relay when really close is both only possible if you are using the internal antenna.

Right-click your Communotron-16 and select "extend antenna". Your comm links should go bright green a couple seconds later. In fact, with a level 2 tracking station, the Communotron-16 should be reachable at 100% signal strength across most, if not all, of Kerbin's SOI even without the need for a relay.

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.