Steam Workshop encorporation

Sometimes, I look at games like Besiege (and others) and brouse the amazing machines people have made on the Steam Workshop. Then I say to myself "Man, I wish I could do this with KSP!" I think this should be a feature. Kerbal Space Program should have Steam Workshop compatibility so that people can upload their awesome ships online.

https://www.kerbalx.com

:wink:

... It's not a bad suggestion. If I had to guess why Squad hasn't implemented it, I'd guess that it just comes down to a question of resources. They're a small company, they can't do everything, they have to pick and choose what features they deliver, and they've had their hands full just doing the core game functionality.

Fortunately, until and unless they do something like this, there's the community-developed site KerbalX.

The trouble with KSP is that modders don't just have the ability to make parts, with plugins a modder can code in abilities the base game never came with, and while KSP modders are a honorable bunch there exists the potential for a less than honorable individual to release malicious code onto the Steam workshop, as the Cities Skylines devs acknowledge here.

Now, we have rules for plugins, the source has to be provided and Squad can have malicious plugins removed from the KSP forums and Curse, Spacedock are also usually quick to remove any such mods as well.

We can't do this with Steam workshop.

Any malicious plugins on Steam workshop can remain on Steam for days or months before a Steam moderator removes it, this isn't something Squad wants with KSP.

Not only this, but as mentioned it is Steam users only, preventing non Steam users from accessing a mod release only on the workshop.

Plus we have Ckan, so there really isn't a need for Steam workshop integration.

So sorry but Steam workshop integration is not planned.