Concept Rocket Engineering

Inspired by Reality

LATEST UPDATES (SEE BELOW):

Anvil: 19JAN16

Dune Rovers: 119JAN16

First Light: 19JAN16

FEATURED VIDEO: FIRST LIGHT REVEAL 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1hvPqQXgMI

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Light

RELEASE 1 - 19JAN16

VIDEO:

SEE "FEATURED VIDEO" ABOVE

Future Intent:
-Complete planned features

Known Bugs/Issues as of R1:
-No crew portraits/IVA for FL-CMU-1A
-No native method to generate electricity
-No native method to dock with stock craft
-No native method for EVA

Change Log:
---RELEASE 1 (19JAN16)---
-First public release

---PREVIEW 1 (30NOV14)---
-Preview release

Dune Rovers

Release 4 - 19JAN16

Videos:

The Dune Rovers are a series of parts designed for interchangeability. As of R3 there is only one body style available: Raider. At least one more body style is planned and more may be added in the distant future. In the mean time enjoy exploring the Solar System in style!

Future Intent:
-Add re-imagined Fire Hawk
-Add additional body parts
-Add means of refueling
-Convert from solar electric to fuel cell electric

Known Bugs/Issues as of R4:
-RCS system is not balanced. Behavior tweaks necessary after further testing.
-No native means of refueling rover. Stock docking ports required.
-No native means of generating electricity. Stock methods required.

Change Log:
---RELEASE 4 (19JAN16)---
-Updated attach nodes for wheels. No longer possible to mount backwards

Anvil Series Rockets

Release 19 - 19JAN16

VIDEOS:

Future Intent:
-Updates to existing parts as necessary.

Known Bugs/Issues as of R19:
-None known

Change Log:
---RELEASE 19 (19JAN16)---
-Removed "SCALE = 1" from all configuration files (except RDM-2 and SRBs). Entry had no function.
-Reversed and reduced gimbal range on CSB-926-1 to decrease sensitivity of control inputs at high altitude and to make it steer like a drunken crack addict wasn't at the wheel.
-Recalculated all properties of CSB-926-1 (weight/thrust/etc) to increase flight stability at high altitude. Significantly reduced risk of snap oversteer.
-Added a connection point for First Light assembly on DCM-90-1

ABOUT CORE:

I've been a fan of KSP since its early alpha stages and been very impressed by the quality and ease at which modders were able to add to the game. Since I have some modding experience I decided to try my hand at it and see what I could come up with. I do not like to simply copy and paste parts that someone has already created but instead try to make it my own thing.

The original concept behind “CORE†was that I wanted to play "rocket scientist for a day" by designing my own rocket family from the ground up. The aim was to balance my rockets to be more realistic than what KSP has already pioneered. I wanted to respect the lessons learned by other modders but above all else I wanted to see if "it" could be done.

Over many iterations and many months of tweaking we have come to the latest iteration of Anvil. My rocket program has evolved into a one stop shop for a simple and reliable platform to launch your payloads. Sure, there are lots of great mods out there that offer hundreds of different ways to create all sorts of exciting machines but Anvil is different. When you just want to get into orbit without the hassle then that’s when you break out the Anvil.

I consider the whole effort a success and I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to make this happen. I hope my rockets meet your expectations and good luck!

-Absolution

All contributors to 'SundayPunch' pack as this was my main guide on how to create parts

KSP community for offering me help and advice when I ran into trouble

---LICENSE---

COPYRIGHT © 2015 ABSOLUTION

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE ORIGINAL WORKS OF ABSOLUTION FOR THE KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM GAME.

ALL FILES CONTAINED HEREIN ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF ABSOLUTION EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW OR EXCLUDED BY PRE-EXISTING RIGHTS.

DO NOT COPY, REPRODUCE OR RETRANSMIT DATA OR OTHERWISE REPRESENT CONTENTS OF THIS PACKAGE AS BEING OWNED BY ANY OTHER THAN ABSOLUTION.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS

FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR

COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER

IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN

CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Works great. Had a moment where the first stage suddenly wanted me to do a flip. Luckily the stage was 99% out of fuel so I was able to just move onto the next without issue.

I have that same problem. It probably has to do with the fact that the first stage is nearly empty and the mass of the rocket has halved from launch but is still thrusting at 100%. I\'ve had some success by reducing thrust as it gets close to that magical moment. Still iffy but better. It\'s also a good idea to try and go straight up for the entire first stage as mid-stage maneuvering tends to make the problem worse.

Concerning the criticisms of it\'s plain-Jane appearance... yeah I feel the same way. I tried adding some decoration to the rocket to make it more interesting but all I succeeded in doing was making it worse. Ultimately I don\'t mind it\'s purely functional appearances. I\'ll try to improve it over time but as far as first tries go I don\'t think you can fault me too much. :)

Also, I have added a video showing a launch montage. Enjoy!

Just letting you know - I downloaded your Rocketpack the other day and its great. The only issue I have is - radial attached parts seem to attach to the tanks inside the white, outter shell. I also cant seem to attach your tanks radially onto each other via radial decouplers - the fueltanks would just clip into eachother which looks ... not so good of course. It works fine with the 1m stock-parts though.

Still a good pack. I like building rockets, but when i just want to get a small payload to mun quick without much rocketbuilding, i just make one of your parts.

...oh, you might consider adding bigger 'containers' for larger payloads, too. For those people lifting large Stations and the likes.

Salute :)

I also noticed that radial attachments are clashing with the structure of the rocket. I\'ve looked into it somewhat and couldn\'t come up with a reason. I\'ll add it to the bug/issue list and try to resolve it.

@crosshunter

I took a fresh look at the rocket parts and balanced them based on my preference and not on existing addons. When comparing my parts to others you will notice that mine are consistently heavier and more powerful. It was not my intent to create super parts and although you are free to mix and match my parts with others my intent was simply to approach the issue from a fresh perspective. I hope it doesn\'t disrupt your efforts too much.

I find this rocket a bit... well... off balanced. it constantly wants to tip over, and mechjeb can\'t get it into orbit for some odd reason.

I might add a few side engines to keep it on course, see if that helps any. It\'s a good pack, LOVE how the fairings work, actually pop off like they should. unlike other mods I\'ve seen.

I found that Mechjeb got it into orbit, but with some difficulty- I tried to get to an 80km orbit, and it was doing fine in the gravity turn until about 74 when the angle got wonky. It managed to make up for the shortfall in the Apoapsis by burning afterwards and got to an 80km orbit anyway, but it was a near miss.

And yes, it does want to tip over. I found this a problem, I think you\'re right about the side engines but maybe some wings/fins would help too.

I found that Mechjeb got it into orbit, but with some difficulty- I tried to get to an 80km orbit, and it was doing fine in the gravity turn until about 74 when the angle got wonky. It managed to make up for the shortfall in the Apoapsis by burning afterwards and got to an 80km orbit anyway, but it was a near miss.

And yes, it does want to tip over. I found this a problem, I think you\'re right about the side engines but maybe some wings/fins would help too.

Noticed it too, and MechJeb seems extremely confused when it does get to the gravity turn; my Mechjeb continued to say ' Gravity turn' even though it had tipped over to circularize orbit. Odd thing is, it seemed to work fine once the current stage had burnt out and been jettisoned.

Partial solution I\'ve found is to make sure you have RCS going in the ascent phase; you\'ll need to have RCS Tanks dedicated specifically for the launcher stages. I recommend the Kosmos ones, they radially attach.

Winglets are hit \'n\' miss; the oscillations seem to be dampened out, but then Mechjebs attempts to steer become more pronounced, to the point that the rocket eventually rips itself to pieces.

IDK, maybe MechJeb just hates these rockets.

I've fixed up the first post with the new forum standards. I will continue to fix it up as they sort out the finer details on the board (particularly I hope they enable video tags again).

News for version 1.1:

I will use this update to add in most, if not all, of the payload fairing options for 1.75m, 2m and 3m along with the transition parts necessary to mix and match. I've determined why some radially attached parts were sinking into the surface of base parts and will fix that in this update. However, I am still uncertain why my fuel tanks wont attach radially. Their "allowsrfattach" flag is on so it must be something else. I probably wont fix that for this update.

I will also look into enabling gimbals for my engines.

These are not hard parts but they are labor intensive so it will take a few weeks to sort out.

This is a very nice addon, and I hope to see more of it soon.

Unlike some others who have posted, I have had absolutely zero issue getting it into orbit either manually or with MechJeb. These parts have a very nice feel to them and allow me to get into orbit reliably without any excessive wobbling or lag.

Here is some problems/recommendations though:

-Engine shroud does not attach with radial symmetry. It still works if you attach all four parts individually of course, but it's a bit of an annoyance.

-As mentioned previously, there are some issues when attaching struts and such to the fuel tanks.

-More engines options would be great, especially one with thrust vectoring.

As it is right now, I really like the Anvil I. Attach some SRBs and a "Centaur stage" within the upper shroud, instant interplanetary mission. I'll be using this when planets come out next update.

My only problem with the Anvil I, of course, is the fact that the shrouds don't work with radial symmetry. Besides that, really good rocket, looking forward to the other Anvil launch vehicles. :)

A well done concept with potential to be a plain, reliable workhorse for payload launches. My only dislike is that the discarding shroud makes a lot of pieces that I have to clean up. Later versions of the game may make this task easier but I would be just as satisfied if the shroud detached in just two halves.

A well done concept with potential to be a plain, reliable workhorse for payload launches. My only dislike is that the discarding shroud makes a lot of pieces that I have to clean up. Later versions of the game may make this task easier but I would be just as satisfied if the shroud detached in just two halves.

You're in luck. I forget exactly why I chose to go with quarters initially but the payload fairings in 1.1 will all be halves. They will also come in 1, 2 and 3m lengths to help minimize the part count. In fact the new 3m long fairings reduce the count from 12 to 4 on my "baseline" Anvil I configuration.

I'll look into enabling part symmetry for the fairings to reduce work time as well.

Personally, I LIKE the quarters. Makes EVA's fun, as I can play bumper cars with them with Kerbalnauts. the issue with the quarters is that manipulating them can be annoying, as they have a small "

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.