[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

Bonus-detail:

Anvils shroud-decouplers fit nicely underneath large stock-decouplers. Attaching shroudpieces to the anvil-decoupler then looks like an extension to the stock-decoupler. A reliable way to hide the large stock-engines which would otherwise be completely exposed.

First and foremost thank you all who have taken the time to download and try out my rocket. I hope it has served you well!

Here is a quick update on the first update: I am slowly but steadily making progress and should be ready to release in a "few weeks". I can't be more specific than that since I am finding it hard to stay motivated enough. The work I have planned for the 1.1 update is not hard but it is tedious and there's a lot of it to do. I will be adding about a dozen or so new payload fairing bits so that your payload options are expanded. I've also done some re-texturing of the existing parts to make the whole rocket more consistent looking. You probably wont notice the difference but I do. :)

As far as bugs are concerned I resolved the clipping issues for small radially attached parts (such as a radial decoupler). I have not been able to determine why I can not radially attach my fuel tanks though so I fear I will have to design a special radial decoupler to make it all work. I'll keep playing around with it. Lastly I have not had time to look into enabling symmetry for the fairings yet but it is on the to do list.

Again, thank you all for your time and I look forward to continue serving your space launch needs!

-Absolution

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the next update:

I am now anticipating a release in a "couple of days". I've been working hard on all these minor parts and I am almost complete. Just some texturing and testing and I should be good to go. As stated previously this will be a simple expansion of your payload options. You will be able to safely encapsulate a much wider variety of oddly shaped and over-sized parts. Future updates will include re-balancing parts (as necessary) and the addition of new parts. As KSP expands I will develop heavier rockets that can take enough delta-V into orbit so you can get out to new and exciting destinations. I've anticipated the need already and have conceptual designs for Anvil II, III and even V if the KSP engine doesn't implode on me (don't expect anything radically different in visual design).

TLDR, here's a preview of the up and coming release:

AnvilI-3.jpg

Yeah, it's goofy looking but considering that's a 3m payload fairing on top of a 1.75m rocket stack I can't really do anything about it. You'll notice I've ditched the "tampon" style nose cone with a more rockety looking one.

hey you reckon you could add some SRB's to this pack? I think it would add a lot!

Update 1.2 will include more rocket parts to expand lifting capabilities. I haven't determined what parts I need but will be doing the math once this update is complete. Some sort of SRB is likely.

Version 1.1 now available on first post. Approximately a dozen new payload fairing parts were added. I also renamed the engines and liquid fuel tanks in anticipation for the next update. I suggest deleting all of your current CORE parts before installing the new ones.

Enjoy!

Slide5.jpg

Seriously can someone fill me in on the secret to success here? I've built a nice payload and this thing certainly flies and is orbit-capable, however, it also flies like a brick. I can't get into any proper orbits as this thing flips all the **** around and no matter how many RCS thrusters I slap on along with ASAS and Winglets...impossible. I translate even slightly and it goes barreling 360 over and over. Honestly it NEEDS some balance fixes and at the very least thrust vectoring.

Gave me a headache trying to get this thing in a simple orbit for 4 hours. I like the parts...except for that.

Seriously can someone fill me in on the secret to success here? I've built a nice payload and this thing certainly flies and is orbit-capable, however, it also flies like a brick. I can't get into any proper orbits as this thing flips all the **** around and no matter how many RCS thrusters I slap on along with ASAS and Winglets...impossible. I translate even slightly and it goes barreling 360 over and over. Honestly it NEEDS some balance fixes and at the very least thrust vectoring.

Gave me a headache trying to get this thing in a simple orbit for 4 hours. I like the parts...except for that.

What is the mass of your payload? How are you controlling the rocket (keyboard? gamepad?)

It is a known issue that the rocket becomes twitchy right as the first stage burns out but I haven't noticed any other unstable behavior. In fact my experience is that the rocket is almost too stable. If you watch my intro video on the first post you can see the control input I am giving it to nudge it along the right path. It does require a slight touch and if you try and force it you are not likely to correct it.

It doesn't surprise me that pre-existing SAS modules don't help. My rocket is much heavier and more powerful than stock parts so the stock SAS doesn't produce enough counter input to stabilize the rocket. It would be like trying to push a bus down the street by yourself.

I will be doing numerous flight tests to support my next update so hopefully I can recreate your issues at the same time.

The first stage issue I mostly solved with a bunch of radial RCS and varying the thrust but even still I have a very hard time adjusting it's flight path (keyboard) whereas other rockets almost make it stupid easy. Perhaps I'm just used to easier parts but still I believe I'm competent enough to solve most problems on my own. The issue is that even if I stabilize the first stage, after decoupling the second and desperately getting it going the way I need it, it still has a tendency to just start flipping around and changing direction without literally constant manual intervention. Even with my full attention it is a chore to maintain it, enough so that I just want to cheat, but I like your system too much to do that. I've tried empty payloads and launching with various Dynasat configs and the Noyuz Ship so far. I almost got the latter into a perfect orbit but I lost control at the last moment to the point where my patience and fuel levels were just not there. I'm not trying to be a whining asshole as I really like the simplicity and functionality of your parts. It's probably as much pilot error as it is subpar performance of the rocket. Clean it up the weight, add gimbaling and thrust vectoring and I'll probably never need another launch system for quickly throwing some sats in orbit and looking good while doing it.

Unless it's for performance reasons, you should really expand your views on having a lot of parts. There's some great stuff out there that can be used really creatively... You can always download it and then pick and choose which parts you think you'd use the most and delete the rest.

hi i have craft about 220 ton total mass at launch and 9.4 ton payload(with command pod) using 2x5m tank (LFT-705-075-1) from this and 6 solid rockets (from kv globe V-L) with engine LFE -7-200 1 even with 18 winglet :Z its still trying to go polar orbit on gravity turn... using mecjeb ascent autopliot open at start and its sets Heading 90 ... :Z when i try to make it 0 its accelerating to polar orbit ? turning it to 90 again nothing happens just slowing down to reaching polar orbit... my spacecraft is symetric... it continous to make that after decoupling solid rockets... Z i have this problem with only this pack...? winglets only slowing down its behevior btw target orbit 150 km nothing changing when i try different values on turn start turn end... am i doing something wrong with this?

Edited by ashrutoraman

hi i have craft about 220 ton total mass at launch and 9.4 ton payload(with command pod) using 2x5m tank (LFT-705-075-1) from this and 6 solid rockets (from kv globe V-L) with engine LFE -7-200 1 even with 18 winglet :Z its still trying to go polar orbit on gravity turn... using mecjeb ascent autopliot open at start and its sets Heading 90 ... :Z when i try to make it 0 its accelerating to polar orbit ? turning it to 90 again nothing happens just slowing down to reaching polar orbit... my spacecraft is symetric... it continous to make that after decoupling solid rockets... Z i have this problem with only this pack...? winglets only slowing down its behevior btw target orbit 150 km nothing changing when i try different values on turn start turn end... am i doing something wrong with this?

That's an interesting problem. Is the rocket stable in flight? Is it wobbling or appearing to bend in the middle?

Unfortunately I have never used mechjeb so I can not be sure that my rocket works with it. Different people have had different results. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior with my rocket and mechjeb?

1.2 Update:

It was my intent to start introducing new parts to expand your launch options but ongoing testing with the parts I've already made lead me to conclude that KSP is not finished enough to deal with my type of rocket. To be fair to the hard work the devs have put into their program I may be simply asking too much of it. My rockets, as they are currently scaled, may never work. I am finding that my tall, narrow and massive rocket bends and flexes too much for the physics engine and that causes the snap pitch events (sudden backflips). When I scaled everything in half it did not flex nearly as much and became far more stable overall.

I am a little disappointed but in the end I can simply balance the "new" rocket to act exactly the same way. It will simply be far lighter. I will ping the developers concerning their future intent on making rockets less wobbly but in the short term it is my intent to scale my rockets to a more KSP friendly level. It's not quite as simple as taking everything and dividing by 2 so it will take me a few weeks to do the math and testing to get it right.

Hey I'm liking the update and I'm glad you isolated the issue. Sometimes we forget that this great game is still an alpha and chock full of bad bugs and missing features...but we're patient and the wait should be worth it! Hope your parts come together and I'll be watching this thread for a new release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.