[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

How open is this to mix ad match with stock parts? Can i have a stock lifter butvthen put a fairing around just my lunar lander?

Can i put the 3m payload underneath a 1.75 fairing so it looks like a rocket? Km less interested inbthe rockets and more interested in the fairings. Some models are designed to fit only one way. Ill try this and see if it looks good without inhibiting my creativity.

Nice one! :)

Can you add the 1.2 download? When I updated to 1.2A, and launched the game, some parts were missing. Specifically LFE-702-036-1, LFE-705-094-1, and LFE-7-118-1. I am looking for the 1.2 so I can add those in.

Here you go:

Version 1.2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rctjp8dflg16tx/CORE%20-%20ANVIL%20v1.2.zip

I can't comment on how my parts work with others as I never tested them. However, I have used standard sizing conventions so my 1.75m parts should match up with other 1.75m parts. I offer no guarantees. Good luck!

Well I think it's time for an update on 1.3:

There are about 2 dozen new parts for this update so its taking a fairly long time to sort them all out. 90% of the modeling is done; only the liquid engines and some minor details remain. I am aiming to maintain my simplistic aesthetic but I am also trying to make the three rockets distinct from each other. Unfortunately I am a much better engineer than I am an artist so we will see how it turns out.

I am also playing around with the textures for the new parts to try and increase their "interesting" factor. At the moment I am channeling my inner Saturn V for the Anvil II and am happy with the results so far. The Anvil III will be very different than the other two... at least that's the plan. It might look like crap and I'll simply return to what has worked but I'll give it a shot.

Eventually I will convert all of my parts to the "mu" standard but I need to wait until they develop better tools. If I were to go to Mu now you would have a 120mb download instead of a 20mb download. All of my parts are simple enough that it doesn't matter but I'd like to play with bump maps and all that extra jazz someday.

For update 1.4 I intend to release some solid rocket boosters and maybe some partially filled fuel tanks to bridge the gaps between the three Anvil rockets.

Stay tuned!

Well I think it's time for an update on 1.3:

There are about 2 dozen new parts for this update so its taking a fairly long time to sort them all out. 90% of the modeling is done; only the liquid engines and some minor details remain. I am aiming to maintain my simplistic aesthetic but I am also trying to make the three rockets distinct from each other. Unfortunately I am a much better engineer than I am an artist so we will see how it turns out.

I am also playing around with the textures for the new parts to try and increase their "interesting" factor. At the moment I am channeling my inner Saturn V for the Anvil II and am happy with the results so far. The Anvil III will be very different than the other two... at least that's the plan. It might look like crap and I'll simply return to what has worked but I'll give it a shot.

Eventually I will convert all of my parts to the "mu" standard but I need to wait until they develop better tools. If I were to go to Mu now you would have a 120mb download instead of a 20mb download. All of my parts are simple enough that it doesn't matter but I'd like to play with bump maps and all that extra jazz someday.

For update 1.4 I intend to release some solid rocket boosters and maybe some partially filled fuel tanks to bridge the gaps between the three Anvil rockets.

Stay tuned!

Waiting with anticipation i love your Anvil.... That's what she said * face palms* LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolution, you might want to talk to cBBp and Normak, the makers of the Kosmos pack, because I know a couple of their engines have the "glows red when hot or overheating" effect on them, they would probably at least be able to point you to a good tutorial, if not give you a few tips themselves.

• 6 months later...

It's good to have the forums back on line. Kudos to the Squad team for the hard work they did putting this place back together. Unfortunately there was a problem with the backups they had and we've lost about 6 months of data. Bummer but that's life in the big city. Time to get back to work!

I've updated the opening post to reflect the most recent data concerning version 1.6.0 and I've restored the archived download of 1.5.2 should anyone want legacy parts. If you notice anything out of place or wrong let me know.

Anvil Update:

I have plans to give Anvil IV a facelift based on the work I did on Anvil V but for the moment I've shelved that project. I will get back to it soon but it was time I put some effort into another project I've been toying with. It involves concepts and game mechanics I haven't worked with before so there is going to be a lot of in-game testing to bring it all together. The modelling part is actually quite easy and once I work out the technical details I expect things to move swiftly.

Chances are I will revisit Anvil IV before I complete this other mystery project. I'll keep you all updated.

Good luck and have fun!

Finally! Now I can share with you the problem I found.

Pic removed, problem fixed.

The Center of mass for the first stages are all... well they are not where they should be. I wanted to attach some first stages to each other to make an Anvil V super heavy launcher. The weird center of mass means when I pull it out of the selection area, the mouse is all the way at the bottom, making radial attachment super hard. Good to finally get that out! :P

Edited by Deltac

The Center of mass for the first stages are all... well they are not where they should be.

I found that out myself recently and have it on my to do list. However, I need to do some testing. I fear moving the CG will cause my rock-steady rockets to be uncontrollable. Here is a tip for the short term: drop the stage into any open area on the screen and grab it again higher up. Annoying but it works. Truth is that the CSB-412 is so big that it's hard to move around no matter where you grab it. :)

I'll work on it and see what I get. If it goes smoothly I can push out a small update.

*edit*

And now that I think about it some more that short term solution might not work when doing radial attachments... either way I am on it. :)

Edited by Absolution

Update on moving the CG:

Moving the CG to a more centralized locale caused the whole rocket to shimmy and shake something fierce... and that's when @#*$ started blowing up. Very Kerbal but not very CORE. So that means that the CG will stay exactly where it is. It's an unrealistic location but in this case form follows function and I'd rather the rockets work right and defy reality (within reason) than the other way around.

However, there is good news which I think will solve the basic of your problem Deltac. I added an attach node on the surface of the rockets that will not only make radial attachments easier but work a whole lot better. Now when you try to place a CSB onto the surface of a radial attachment point it will seat itself just right (after some twisting and turning on your part).

I'll get that and some other toys released in a few days but in the short term you can add the following under the node definitions to the part configs yourself:

CSB-406-1:

node_attach = 0.0, 3.0, 2.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

CSB-412-1:

node_attach = 0.0, 6.0, 2.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

CSB-204-1 and 1L:

node_attach = 0.0, 2.5, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

CSB-209-1 and 1L:

node_attach = 0.0, 5.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

so as an example the part.cfg would look something like the following:

// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config
// CSB-209-1 Core Stage Booster
//

// --- general parameters ---
name = CORE_CSB-209-1
module = Part
author = Absolution

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_attach = 0.0, 5.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

// --- FX definitions ---
fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_medium = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout
blah blah blah

In this example the node_attach is 5 meters up from the base of the rocket. If you prefer you can increase or decrease that value if it works better for you.

Edited by Absolution

Glad it's working out for you. Is that set up stable during launch?

Update on Anvil:

I know that I was going to release this mini-update "in a few days" which has now turned into a week but I decided to throw in some extra toys into the release. Along with the minor tweaks I've done I hope this will bring Anvil back to a "final" state. No mod is ever final but the list of things I want to do to Anvil is very short and I am planning on getting them all into the next release which will happen soon.

The extra toys are somewhat related to my super secret project I have going on in the shadows. I needed Anvil to do more than what the last release allowed for so there you go. One new part I am particularly pleased with enables a player to manage the launch debris in orbit. I was doing a lot of testing for Anvil V and had some real trouble with the crud those tests left behind but with proper planning all that goes away. How exactly? You'll have to wait and see. :)

It's stable because I used struts. Two struts per tank. I don't have an aversion to struts :P

As for your future update handling debris, I think Squad has fixed up the tracking station (and probably the map view) so you can see only what you want to see. Of course, what exactly you are going to do is still in the box with the cat (Schrodinger reff), and we don't know when Squad will release that little tidbit.

Can't wait to see what you have in stored for us.

Why do the fairings with the nosecone flop all over the place during ascent? I don't have any pictures currently, but the best imagery I can share is flopping a banana peel from side to side while holding the bottom (the bottom being where they're connected to the decoupler).

Why do the fairings with the nosecone flop all over the place during ascent? I don't have any pictures currently, but the best imagery I can share is flopping a banana peel from side to side while holding the bottom (the bottom being where they're connected to the decoupler).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x95Yyam68iA&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s You only have to watch for a few minutes. If you're using the old Anvil, please specify.

I'm using the most recent version. This happens with the Anvil IV. They actually clip through each other and bounce off the decoupler before returning to their position before cycling through it again.

Give us a few screenshots so we can see your rocket configuration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.