[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

It should be noted that, since the great rescaling that occurred a few versions of KSP back, what Absolution is calling a "2m rocket" is 2.5m, and what he's calling a "4m rocket" is 5m, due to the standard 1.25 rescale factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Say hello to my new modification: Dune Raider

It is a beta release at this point but it's got everything you need to make it happen. More documentation is forthcoming but I've been slaving away all day to get this thing out the door. The download includes craft files and a save game with a rover, lander and crew already on the Mun for your convenience.

Also included is the Fire Hawk lander which is designed specifically to transport the Dune Raider to an alien world. Eventually this will be its own mod but for now it will support Dune Raider directly.

Dune Raider Rovers

Version 0.1.0 - Dune Raider Reveal

29SEP13

DOWNLOAD LINK:

v0.1.0 *For best results I suggest getting Anvil as well. I designed the Fire Hawk and Dune Raider with Anvil in mind*

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/dune-raider-v0-1-0/

Screenshot:

duneraider2_zpsd3bea8e6.png

Videos:

*sorry it is so dark. It's plenty bright when I render the video but it shows up dark on Youtube.*

Explore the Mun... IN STYLE.

Now we just need to find a way to bring it back to Kerbin safely, and my Mun Pizza delivery service can get up and going!

Is green your favorite color?

Edited by shadowsutekh
Please don't bypass the profanity filter

This mod is freaking awesome! I already use Anvil and I love this landing system! Thanks!

I do have a request: Would it be possible in the future to create a 'Hitchhiker" style crew container for the lander? It could take the place of the buggy and rigging holding it. Using the actual Hitchhiker container is aesthetically impossible for me. :)

Thanks again!

I can't disagree that such a system would be greatly helpful. However, I don't support other mods by policy. This is to protect my efforts and prevent a third party from breaking my mods as a result of a compatibility quirk. That said I do have plans on unofficially supporting FAR and there is always the possibility of expanding unofficial support to other mods. I wouldn't keep my hopes up though. I've got lots of stuff planned for CORE to keep me busy.

We just have to see how the future turns out. :)

I fully understand that. It is really sad when a part of a mod is dependant on a plugin, and the plugin breaks on an update. Maybe it could be done as a seperate download? I'm also slowly learning how to model, so I might be able to help out in the distant future (Year 2167), if you want me to make some procedural fairings.

EDIT: Changed the wording a bit.

I downloaded this and when I use it it's wheels just sink into the ground! Please fix this bug.

That's not a whole lot to go by. What were the conditions in which you experienced the bug? Did you assemble the rover yourself or were you using the save file or craft file?

This mod is freaking awesome! I already use Anvil and I love this landing system! Thanks!

I do have a request: Would it be possible in the future to create a 'Hitchhiker" style crew container for the lander? It could take the place of the buggy and rigging holding it. Using the actual Hitchhiker container is aesthetically impossible for me. :)

Thanks again!

That is the plan, yes. The Fire Hawk was something I designed only after finishing the Prowler and realizing I needed a way of transporting it. That was quite a face-palm moment. At the same time I realized it didn't make sense to do all that work for a single purpose. There's a lot of things I want to do with the Fire Hawk but I didn't want to sit on a completed Prowler while I developed those features. The Fire Hawk, as a result, was a very rushed design. The good news is there is lots of potential and I look forward to exploring it. My first order of business is to design my own lander legs. The stock ones are way too long for the purpose and the way I attach them is poorly designed. :)

I fully understand that. It is really sad when a part of a mod is dependant on a plugin, and the plugin breaks on an update. Maybe it could be done as a seperate download? I'm also slowly learning how to model, so I might be able to help out in the distant future (Year 2167), if you want me to make some procedural fairings.

Don't try to do too much too quickly. You'll overwhelm yourself and might get discouraged. :)

Don't try to do too much too quickly. You'll overwhelm yourself and might get discouraged. :)

Yeah, I know. I'm taking it slow right now, making some fuel tanks and such. Will try to make some engines at some point, but for now I've got a bug with KSP loading my model and texture, but not my cfg file, making the part not appear.

What you have basically done is build us the "Modular Common Spacecraft Bus" of KSP. :) I have made a bunch of different configurations with the parts, the possibilities are endless. You are right about the landing legs needing replaced. Maybe a bit stronger set in the revision? Thanks again!

What you have basically done is build us the "Modular Common Spacecraft Bus" of KSP. :) I have made a bunch of different configurations with the parts, the possibilities are endless. You are right about the landing legs needing replaced. Maybe a bit stronger set in the revision? Thanks again!

Got any screenshots of what you've come up with? Maybe it will help inspire me. :)

So what I've noticed, is that the decoupler section with the attachable engines will drain fuel from the upper section with the landing engines and the actual cargo. Other than that and the weirdly breaking body solar panel, I think this thing is great!

So what I've noticed, is that the decoupler section with the attachable engines will drain fuel from the upper section with the landing engines and the actual cargo.

Draining fuel from the cargo is not intended but draining it from the upper section is. I've designed the lander to reach as far out as Moho in its basic format and to do that I needed more fuel than the lower section could carry.

Alright, that makes sense, thanks.

On a different note, with the rover itself I've noticed that if it starts to roll, a wheel will clip into the ground and the whole thing flies a couple hundred meters upwards.

Edited by shadowsutekh

Alright, that makes sense, thanks.

On a different note, with the rover itself I've noticed that if it starts to roll, a wheel will clip into the ground and the whole thing flies a couple hundred meters upwards.

^

Same thing, or is it just a system to make sure that it doesn't roll over?

Just a suggestion, change the Dune raider to have an in built RTG instead of solar panels? It keeps breaking for me :P

^

Same thing, or is it just a system to make sure that it doesn't roll over?

Just a suggestion, change the Dune raider to have an in built RTG instead of solar panels? It keeps breaking for me :P

I considered an RTG when I first noticed the fragile solar panels and chose to stick with the panels for the sake of balance. I didn't want to create a perpetual motion machine. However, in light of the problems with the panels I will switch over to RTG until I can figure out the problem with the panels.

The bouncing problem is likely caused by a collider mesh interacting with the terrain that confuses the physics engine. It's not intentional. I only noticed the behavior after the buggy got airborne off of a jump or similar terrain feature and never just sitting, more or less, still. Does it happen often enough that you could capture a short video of it?

I considered an RTG when I first noticed the fragile solar panels and chose to stick with the panels for the sake of balance. I didn't want to create a perpetual motion machine. However, in light of the problems with the panels I will switch over to RTG until I can figure out the problem with the panels.

The bouncing problem is likely caused by a collider mesh interacting with the terrain that confuses the physics engine. It's not intentional. I only noticed the behavior after the buggy got airborne off of a jump or similar terrain feature and never just sitting, more or less, still. Does it happen often enough that you could capture a short video of it?

Ah, I see :P

Yeah, happens too often I could probably take a video of it, I'll get one soon :)

Absolution, if you were wondering about other uses for your landing apparatus I have one. I'll upload pictures later, but the crew tank with 4 radial chutes attached to a stack separator (for emergencies) fits perfectly between the upper section of the lander (with the payload and engines) and the decouple-able engine/fuel section.

I've begun using it as a crew recovery vehicle from the mun, and possibly elsewhere depending on its ability to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Are you all still having problems with the rover jumping into the air? I haven't been able to reproduce the issue on my end but there are a few things I can try out.

With the new update there is a reason for me to further develop the Fire Hawk and Dune Raider so you can get some real work done. I've also decided to reactivate the First Light program and start that over from scratch (again). The Fire Hawk has given me a lot of neat ideas with where to take the First Light so expect to see some information on that soon.

I am currently working on revising the Fire Hawk core module (the one with the integrated engines and bay for the Dune Raider). I've remodeled the stanchions and engines to make them more interesting. I still need to texture it. Also, I am working on the landing legs. I've never done an animation like this before and my intent is to make a neat looking flat-folding leg system. The problem, of course, is that because I have no experience in doing this kind of part I've dedicated all this time so far to research. I think my idea is pretty cool so hopefully I can pull it off.

I am not sure what I want to do after this. I was first thinking of revisiting the First Light but the science update to KSP has compelled me to consider developing the second Dune Raider chassis. Where the Prowler is designed for simple transport the, as yet unnamed, chassis will be for science gathering and will offer a variety of ways to incorporate scientific tools. I have an idea how I want it to look and function but I need to play with the new science mechanic in KSP to make sure it will be relevant. I am also planning on a crew module for the Fire Hawk so maybe I will do that next.

Lastly, I've decided to incorporate all of my projects under one "mega" pack once the new spaceport goes online. That will make it easier for people to find my stuff.

I think I will be able to release the Fire Hawk update in the next week or two.

Good luck and have fun!

Update:

Are you all still having problems with the rover jumping into the air? I haven't been able to reproduce the issue on my end but there are a few things I can try out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drrzallmnth8ij3/KSP%202013-10-04%2014-32-19-72.avi

Yes... Yes indeed :P

(Don't mind the voice in the background, I was watching a video in my second screen :rolleyes:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drrzallmnth8ij3/KSP%202013-10-04%2014-32-19-72.avi

Yes... Yes indeed :P

(Don't mind the voice in the background, I was watching a video in my second screen :rolleyes:)

That particular situation I am aware of and have seen it myself when you go off of a jump and have an awkward landing. I can try putting a standard collision mesh on the outer rim of the wheel so you hit that instead of the wheel collider and maybe that will make it go away. What I was more concerned about is the spontaneous leaping from a standstill some people reported.

I actually have two wheel colliders in the model. One goes up and down with the suspension and the other does not and acts as a backup to prevent clipping. Either that second wheel collider is not working at all or is working in a way I do not intend. I will experiment with getting rid of it as well as adding a standard collider to help prevent bouncing in a roll.

Thank you for taking the time to capture the video. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.