[1.0+] CORE Solutions [19JAN16]

Absolution

Does the Fairing of the ANVIL support FAR-shielding? I didn't see any notes about that. (I didn't read the entire thread though.)

Funny you should say that because I had completely forgotten about that and other updates I had been planning for Anvil so I spent the majority of the day making the latest update happen:

ANVIL 1.7.1 RELEASED!

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/anvil-rockets/

As always I suggest deleting all previous content before installing new content just to be sure.

---1.7.1---

(20OCT13)

-Revised Anvil V and V-L part properties. Upper stages now have higher Isp than lower stages (among other things).

-Added emmisive texturing to Anvil V and V-L engines. (they glow hot now)

-Removed SRB-050A-1. Rendered obsolete by Anvil V revamp.

-Fairings now compatible with FAR mod. (May have to reattach fairings to existing rockets)

Hopefully the FAR thing worked because I don't have FAR to test it myself but I have it on good authority that the changes I have implemented should make it all work properly now. Let me know if I am a dirty liar and I will try again. :)

Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

In the past, I had a problem with the parts slipping and sliding around under heavier than normal payloads. However, I believe this mod should help out. I'll need to go test this. Thank you Boamere for bumping this thread back up xD

Additional: Well, the Rigid Rocket mod seems to work, but now I'm very close to running out of memory (I think). Also, there seems to be a bug in Rigid Rocket that prevents my rockets from taking off anyway. Something with the launch clamps probably. It only came out yesterday though, so we'll wait.

Edited by Deltac

Awesome :D, have you thought about adding tech-tree support?

It was originally planned to integrate Anvil into the campaign in a way that made sense. However, now that the first stages of the campaign are in the game I am not sure how to go about it without breaking the intent. I would need a more intimate understanding of how the tech tree develops and make sure my parts are made available at the appropriate time.

It is still a possible feature but I do not have any solid plans for it at the moment. I still have a large laundry list of features and improvements to make to current projects.

@Deltac

What kind of payloads are you launching? I've put 40 tonnes on the Anvil IV and couldn't detect any wobbling.

Dune Raider and Fire Hawk Update:

I've been busy for the last two weeks working on the first update to both the Dune Raider and Fire Hawk. This update is now complete and I just need to test it to make sure everything I changed works properly (most of it does so far). I anticipate releasing version 0.2.0 this weekend barring a disaster during testing. Here is a change list for your previewing pleasure:

Dune Raider:

-Fixed super bouncing (mostly). I've taken the Prowler off of some wicked jumps and landed awkwardly but safely. I've also rammed into various structures at KSC without any catastrophic bounces. It did bounce a few times but only once or twice and never very far before it settled on the ground (usually upside-down :\ ). Hopefully that means the worst part of the bug is gone for everyone else but we wont know until the community gets a chance to test it.

-New "universal chassis" meant to act as a common platform for all future Dune Raider bodies. I simply split the old Prowler body into two separate parts. The wheels and chassis will form the basis for all future Dune Raider configurations. The chassis contains the electric battery and no means of recharging it.

-Removed the lights as a separate part and integrated them into the Prowler body. I had to split them up in the past because of the way the various old parts handled animations but with the new configuration I managed to fix that. The Prowler body was also modified to allow for stock solar panels to be attached in an aesthetically pleasing way. No more broken "unbreakable" power sources.

-Wheels can now withstand more abuse (see bounce testing above) without breaking and also consume less electricity. You still need to be careful about what you drive over but at least you can be more adventurous. The stock solar panels do not produce electricity as fast as the old method so I balanced the consumption to be reasonable.

Fire Hawk:

-Revised the model for the core module. It now looks more "rocket-shipey". It's still far away from the quality some modders can manage but it's better than the old model and I am happy with it. Plus, I think my relatively low polygon models makes for a better KSP experience overall.

-New landing legs. The animation won't play in reverse so when you close the gear they "snap" closed and I have no idea why. Either the KSP coding is bugged (possible) or I did something wrong (likely). However, they are pretty cool legs that fold flat against the body of the Fire Hawk. You might even find a use for them in your non-CORE creations.

-Removed the integrated RCS ports. I found that they do more harm than good so I just took them off. There is still RCS fuel available if you want to attach stock RCS ports.

-Other slight tweaks to the models you likely wont notice or care about. :)

Stay tuned!

I'm having an issue with the Dune Raider rover. Anytime I make a rover with the DR wheels, the wheels just seem to fall through the runway (stopped by the body) and provide no grip. If I manage to get it off the runway (Sepratrons FTW), it does the super bounce glitch (not really super, just enough to keep it bouncing up and down a few meters until it flips upside-down). This is a slight deterrent to its would-be pilots who end up upside-down, unable to exit the vehicle.

I'm having an issue with the Dune Raider rover. Anytime I make a rover with the DR wheels, the wheels just seem to fall through the runway (stopped by the body) and provide no grip. If I manage to get it off the runway (Sepratrons FTW), it does the super bounce glitch (not really super, just enough to keep it bouncing up and down a few meters until it flips upside-down). This is a slight deterrent to its would-be pilots who end up upside-down, unable to exit the vehicle.

Perhaps you are putting them on upside-down? Could you take a screenshot?

Perhaps you are putting them on upside-down? Could you take a screenshot?

Sure, naturally I see this just as my KSP loads up (without the mod loaded). Not to mention a 15 min loading time.

Here it is, in all 4 wheel configurations: http://imgur.com/a/gi5UY

Edited by mrluckypants96

Yup, they are installed wrong. Give the following images a look to see if it helps. If you are looking straight down the suspension should create an "X" shape.

Ok, new DL of 0.2.0, fresh rover design, wheels in X configuration (as they were in the LWB verison of my previous post), getting the exact same results as before. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Ah, the wheels are rotated 90 degrees from what they should be, interesting, but it works now.

Edited by mrluckypants96

Ok, new DL of 0.2.0, fresh rover design, wheels in X configuration (as they were in the LWB verison of my previous post), getting the exact same results as before. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Ah, the wheels are rotated 90 degrees from what they should be, interesting, but it works now.

I apologize for the confusion. The suspension is a little different and it is also missing some pieces. I based the Prowler after the KTM AX and that's the way it looks.

1__7__520_345.jpg

KTM_AX.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Stupid Question, but does this work for Career Mode?

I do not think it works out of the box. I need to define where on the tech tree my parts should go and I have not. I am waiting for the tweakables update to hit before I release the next update to Anvil.

I really don't think that this is getting enough love. The Anvil rockets are incredibly useful.

Much appreciated! :)

I've spent the last few weeks working on the next chapter of CORE. There have been a few false starts with this one so I am hoping for the best this time around.

Well that's a pleasant surprise. Turns out that I don't have to do anything to enable tweakable functionality in 0.23. Everything I want enabled is enabled by default. And although the "light" variants of Anvil are no longer needed I am inclined to leave them anyway. No harm; no foul. You can delete them yourselves, of course.

The other thing I have been scratching my head over is enabling career capabilities to Anvil. I've looked at where Squad puts their rocket parts and I think I've settled on putting Anvil V into "Heavy Rocketry" and Anvil IV into "Very Heavy Rocketry". My problem is that I would like to balance the costs of my rockets somewhat reasonably against Squad's parts. My assumption is that if you are playing career mode you are doing it for the reward of earning advancements and I think it would be a downer to reach a certain milestone just to get super powerful rockets for dirt cheap (or a rip off).

The snag is that Squad and I are playing by completely different standards of balance. One of squad's biggest fuel tanks has 6000 units of fuel where my smallest has about 3000 and my biggest has 45000. It all works out to be reasonably balanced in actual practice but we are working on difference scales. I have no idea how to come up with a price that will be fair. I'm not even sure I can.

I'll see what I can do but don't get your hopes up. :\

Anyway, enjoy 0.23!

I think the mass of these parts makes them uncontrollable with Ferram. Using one of the 2.5 m engine/fuel tanks I get around 5800 m/s dv with just a 2.5 m probe core on a fairing. This weighs ~100 tons. Using a KW fuel tank and a Skipper (650 kN thrust) I get about the same dv and have absolute control of the thing at all times. This only weighs ~40 tons. I have over 100 hours experience with Ferram and these are the only engines/fuel tanks I've had this issue with.

Edited by Jobin

I think the mass of these parts makes them uncontrollable with Ferram. Using one of the 2.5 m engine/fuel tanks I get around 5800 m/s dv with just a 2.5 m probe core on a fairing. This weighs ~100 tons. Using a KW fuel tank and a Skipper (650 kN thrust) I get about the same dv and have absolute control of the thing at all times. This only weighs ~40 tons. I have over 100 hours experience with Ferram and these are the only engines/fuel tanks I've had this issue with.

Are you using the latest build? Previous ones were not compatible with FAR but the latest one should be.

Maybe the aerodynamic control surfaces you have chosen are not sufficient to counter act the added mass? The weight alone shouldn't compromise your flights but you might have to design your ships differently to account for it. I'm not much help in that department since I don't use FAR myself.

The other thing I have been scratching my head over is enabling career capabilities to Anvil. I've looked at where Squad puts their rocket parts and I think I've settled on putting Anvil V into "Heavy Rocketry" and Anvil IV into "Very Heavy Rocketry". My problem is that I would like to balance the costs of my rockets somewhat reasonably against Squad's parts. My assumption is that if you are playing career mode you are doing it for the reward of earning advancements and I think it would be a downer to reach a certain milestone just to get super powerful rockets for dirt cheap (or a rip off).

The snag is that Squad and I are playing by completely different standards of balance. One of squad's biggest fuel tanks has 6000 units of fuel where my smallest has about 3000 and my biggest has 45000. It all works out to be reasonably balanced in actual practice but we are working on difference scales. I have no idea how to come up with a price that will be fair. I'm not even sure I can.

I'll see what I can do but don't get your hopes up. :\

Anyway, enjoy 0.23!

Balancing the cost with vanilla items is totally impractical at this point, since we are talking about a mod after all. I agree that players should unlock their access later on the tech tree so they learn how to build rockets with vanilla items.

However, don't forget the main reason we love this mod: streamlined rocket designs that mirrors the way they are built in real life. Not super efficient-yet-impractical 8+stage onion rockets with more drag than a drag show. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since my last post. Figured I'd take some time to let everyone know that I am still here and working... slowly.

Remember this?

FL-1_zps9ca51c0e.jpg

Yeah... not all that great. I never could settle on a concept for the First Light. Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time scratching my head and combing through the internet looking for inspiration. About 2 months ago I finally found it: The Pillar of Autumn from Halo. It had the right shape I was going for. It was triangular (not sure why I fixated on that) and relatively flat making it KSP friendly. Organic shapes tend to be poly-heavy and a pain to texture when you're as amateur as I am.

Introducing an incomplete but new and improved First Light. The below only shows the command section and the habitation section. I still need to design the fuel tanks, engine and docking hub:

PlZq39M.jpg

The command section wound up being too much like the source material for my liking but I like it too much to risk messing it up. You'll notice I reused the cockpit from above. It was the only part of the old design I liked so it made little sense to scrap it. The new design is also more modular than before. The habitation section (back half of image) is composed of a central structure and two swappable modules on the top and bottom. The fuel tanks, engines and hub will all be their own modules that attach to the central structure.

Also, the new design is a lot more poly-heavy than before. Typically I design parts to not exceed 1500 triangles. The recent improvements that Squad has done to the core engine has given me some confidence and I've added quite a bit of detail. I expect the final product to be in the area of 30- 40,000 triangles all put together. Compare that to a fully assembled Anvil V rocket at 11,000 triangles and I think I am okay. Worst case scenario is I back off on the details. There's also the possibility that I will replace the details with a normal map like I should be doing away. My normal maps haven't turned out well so far. :\

Anyway, I won't speculate on a release schedule. I am taking my time and doing this thing right. I'll pop in once in a while with updates.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Absolution

Been a while since my last post. Figured I'd take some time to let everyone know that I am still here and working... slowly.

Remember this?

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt208/Absolution_15th/CORE%20KSP/FL-1_zps9ca51c0e.jpg

Yeah... not all that great. I never could settle on a concept for the First Light. Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time scratching my head and combing through the internet looking for inspiration. About 2 months ago I finally found it: The Pillar of Autumn from Halo. It had the right shape I was going for. It was triangular (not sure why I fixated on that) and relatively flat making it KSP friendly. Organic shapes tend to be poly-heavy and a pain to texture when you're as amateur as I am.

Introducing an incomplete but new and improved First Light. The below only shows the command section and the habitation section. I still need to design the fuel tanks, engine and docking hub:

http://i.imgur.com/PlZq39M.jpg

The command section wound up being too much like the source material for my liking but I like it too much to risk messing it up. You'll notice I reused the cockpit from above. It was the only part of the old design I liked so it made little sense to scrap it. The new design is also more modular than before. The habitation section (back half of image) is composed of a central structure and two swappable modules on the top and bottom. The fuel tanks, engines and hub will all be their own modules that attach to the central structure.

Also, the new design is a lot more poly-heavy than before. Typically I design parts to not exceed 1500 triangles. The recent improvements that Squad has done to the core engine has given me some confidence and I've added quite a bit of detail. I expect the final product to be in the area of 30- 40,000 triangles all put together. Compare that to a fully assembled Anvil V rocket at 11,000 triangles and I think I am okay. Worst case scenario is I back off on the details. There's also the possibility that I will replace the details with a normal map like I should be doing away. My normal maps haven't turned out well so far. :\

Anyway, I won't speculate on a release schedule. I am taking my time and doing this thing right. I'll pop in once in a while with updates.

Good luck and have fun!

Eh, I don't know, I think I like the first version a little better, even if it is just a bit 'Botany Bay'. My favorite part is definitely the cockpit though, so I'm glad you kept that. :)

But, if this is just the front section, then yeah, I'm interested in this ship, definitely.

Keep on keepin' on. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.