[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

38 minutes ago, Hatsune said:

Does this mod work in 1.9? I can't find a link to download one for V1.9

Did you see the title of this mod?  -->[1.9.x] <--Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

So, yes, it works in 1.9.x and you can find the download in the first post of this mod.

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Did you see the title of this mod?  -->[1.9.x] <--Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

So, yes, it works in 1.9.x and you can find the download in the first post of this mod.

I saw it but when I try to download, it says it's an outdated mod and it's only updated to 1.8, and I don't know where to download for version 1.9.

28 minutes ago, Hatsune said:

I saw it but when I try to download, it says it's an outdated mod and it's only updated to 1.8, and I don't know where to download for version 1.9.

That's Spacedock being literal about the KSP version it was compiled under, 1.8.1.

If a modder of the quality of @linuxgurugamer says his mod works under KSP 1.9.x by changing the title of the initial post, I'd say the current version of the mod will work in KSP 1.9.x.  You can either manually install it or adjust CKAN to accept KSP 1.8.x mods for KSP 1.9.x.

EDIT: If you are doing a manual install, be sure you install the latest versions of the dependencies from the initial post, Click Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller.  They are required.  If you install by CKAN, it will install those dependencies.

Edited by Jacke

Hi! I'm having an issue with FMRS and another mod part from KAS. It's the winch cable, it seems to extend by itself when I stage up and it appears in the FMRS interface as a stage, but there never was a stage separator so I'm guessing it's because of KAS' winch cable...

Can you help me please?

On 11/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, Brigadier said:

You also have a lot of mods installed, including a few contract packs.  Have you tried replicating this problem on a clean install with just FMRS, Contract Configurator and dependencies?

I was able to replicate this recently- in fact TWICE.  I don't have any contract packs installed.

It's definitely a bug with the way the mod handles save integration.  Loading up a quicksave from AFTER launch, of the main vessel, and then using the menu "Revert to Launch" actually saved me this problem the 2nd time around.

Also occasionally still getting penalties for killing Kerbals when the main stage spins out of control, explodes, and crashes my crew modules into other parts due to not being controlled while replaying a side-booster separation much earlier in the flight (the main vessel in my main save already safely made orbit!)  The ascent looked a lot like a Falcon Heavy cire+booster recovery, but with crewed payload.

This seems to only be a problem when I get the "vessel nearby" text on the other separated side-booster while flying one back (I'm.pretty sure, though not 100% confident).  It doesn't seem to occur if there's just one stage separated at a time...

Also, I've been playing around with air-launches a lot lately, and saw someone earlier asked a while back about using FMRS to air-launch a rocket on Eve, essentially...

On 9/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, AHHans said:

I have the situation, that I have a carrier plane that grabs an orbit stage with a Klaw, flies that out of the worst part of the soup around Eve, then releases the orbit stage and flies back to the surface, while the orbit stage continues until it reaches orbit. I can fly both stages separately but haven't managed to merge them (yet?).

Because I use the Klaw, the "master vessel" that I control immediately after separation is the carrier plane. I can land the carrier, and then jump back to the orbit stage and fly that into orbit. But then I cannot merge the orbiting stage to the save with the landed carrier.

Is there a way to deal with this?

I know this is kinda old questionsl, but may still be relevant for many people: often (this is a really old but very useful feature in FMRS: dating back many versions- so I'm not sure it's gotten all the maintenance it could) you can fix this by quickly pressing "[" or "]" to switch vessels immediately after (the mod gives like, 5 seconds) the stage separation.

This changes which vessel is assigned as the main vessel, if you then continue flying the seperated vessel.  In a case like that, the airlaunch plane needs to be the one that appears in the menu, while the orbital rocket is the "main vessel".  The mod hasn't figured out how to integrate vessels in orbit into a save if they're not the main vessel (YET, at least...  This really SHOULD be changed...) so the only way you can save other stages that seperate and fly all the way to orbit is to land them somewhere, eventually...

Also, @linuxgurugamer what happens if we make a stage separate on a daughter vessel AFTER it separates from the main vessel?  This could be useful in certain contexts: but I'm afraid of what might happen if I try it...

Edited by Northstar1989

1 hour ago, Northstar1989 said:

I know this is kinda old questionsl, but may still be relevant for many people: often (this is a really old but very useful feature in FMRS: dating back many versions- so I'm not sure it's gotten all the maintenance it could) you can fix this by quickly pressing "[" or "]" to switch vessels immediately after (the mod gives like, 5 seconds) the stage separation.

Thanks for the information. It's been a while so I don't remember if I tried that or not, but knowing myself I'd give it better than even chance that I did try that and apparently it didn't work. So IMHO it would be a good idea to test it again.

As you can see from my reports in the Eve-Infinity challenge I tricked FMRS into submission to work for me (after a fashion) and finally solved my problem without the use of FMRS. So I'm currently not using FMRS.

Hi an FMRS fan here. ( Recycle reuse repair is always fun. ) Also i play in self imposed modes where funds are tight and shoestrings frequent.

but i have what may be hard to answer question. (as its vague)

Background: What i think i know from playing with FMRS. (not from reading source code yet)

I am thinking of making a very different mod that leverages the same core functionality. Id like to check if the developers agree this is a vague description of how the mod works under the hood.

FMRS is used :

At a time in the game where physics focus  "ought to be"  (for the plot line) (of recovering a stage) in two different places at the same time...

So fundamentally FMRS implements multiasking the physics engine by [*branching*] the game, then later [*merging*] it.  (kinda like a version controls system)

Where branching is split the game into one simulation with some ships in it. (ones that count... and are later preserved) AKA the "one" staged booster.
Then later merging the branch (one ship) back into the game as it that already happened.

Details that dont I think matter to FMRS functionality but may to me.

I am not sure how they handle or if it handles anachronisms. As I always have flown a stage to stable place like landed/splashed before leaving it. When i jump back to main, the ship is on the fground even if in that time its should not be ... yet.

I am not sure what would happen if I flew the staged thing to stable orbit, then jumped back to main. .... Will the stage be retrograded to place so it will be where it is when the main stage gets to the same UTC or not...

To implement what i want,

use case: for cases such as branch some(>1) ships in the game so as to run ground manufacture at warp and simulate power usage correctly (inc say shadows on solar panels).

To do that properly  *I* will need to >>schedule<< the merge, to happen later.  If I did that with an FMRS situation when i jump back to main the booster would simply not exist until the UTC when it splashed down and then "pop" back into existence then.  (im not sure what capability of popping ships into existence by code is..., or whether I will need to pop them into a save file and load it.(which is my back stop method if I cant do the merge in real time.) )

Also noting for my other user stories (such as running base manufacturing) i might need to fork out multiple ships at once and merge them all back later. (including the new ship that got built.)

I am thinking, it will likely/possibly require user consent for the merge and some flexibility. So as to be sure the user at some not crucial juncture agrees the mod can save and reload the game with the extra ships merged now. Doing that while a kOS script is running a sucide burn is a bad plan. Although if code can seamlessly pop ships outside of physics range into existance them I am all good. ( Still have more questions than answers about how my code will work.)

Vague question

basically any advice or help appreciated.  That is if I have been clear enough about what I am considering building. (bearing in mind I am not sure what I am building yet I just know which game frustration could be solved if I just forked the universe. Well that and what game frustration I did once solve with notepad++ and forking the universe. (double simultaneous atmospheric reentries). Landed one. reloaded landed the other. Cut and pasted the landed ships into one game.

(yes if i get the concept out of Beta, FMRS might want to take it over, and Id be good with one big pile. But for a start its quite a bit different beasty as it will require scheduled merge steps (a needless to FMRS use case complication).)

----

addendum

Just happened to run into this oldish post.

Can I use this to handle times when I get two burns on two different ships wanting to happen at the same time?

ie, a transfer burn with minmus happening at the same time as one on the mun.

and yes thats what I am proposing that i write the code for would allow to to be done. (it would require users to do some work) (so my current work around for burn coflicts which is small retro grade and up burn so I keep the perapsis but change when it happens (and a teensy change to where) is I see that several hours out via kerbal alarm clock the burn is usually small.

My harder to solve gameplay issue is reentries if I am coming home nearly dry, and don't have the spare dv to change the timing. Currently if I get caught out my work around is to cheat to on infinite fuel break the conflict. or cheat by never switching to the rentry ship until after it leaves the atmo and just let it rail through without physics then cheat an infinite fuel for the 20-300 ms per sec I guess I would have lost on that pass through.

The other user story  (game situation) is wanting to run a "fair" physics simulation on a production facility.

Another one is sometimes, as the mood takes me I like to go for joy flight in pane for an hour or two of game time but unless I scheduled multiple missions to have hole in the schedule several real world days in advance. I can just do it out of game so to speak and revert it but i like to think jeb deserves holiday in the badlands from time to time.

I am also wondering if the amount of work it is to implement is easier to think about when its me that will be doing it?  ( : P  )

On 8/24/2018 at 8:14 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I am not even going to begin to think about how much code work would be required to implement this. it's much more involved than you think, and besides, I don't see a real need for it.  The times that this would happen is so rare that it just isn't worth spending the time on it.

How often if happens depends on how the user wants to play the game. I try to when I make play through not waste time... I have umpteen simultaneous missions. mainly I avoid conflicts. But reentires are the hardest as the tend to take while and come in bunches where timing of the second entry is harder to shift and bit flaky in terms of depending how brave(regarding heating) I was bleeding off speed with the first pass..

Edited by AxleGreaser
Added addendum

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah pretty much, I kind of lost interest in even attempting to do it when I hit the wall of negativity, never even got around to looking at the source.

if you do attempt this I'd be interested in looking at it, though I'm busy with my own project now and haven't KSPd for ages due to kraken annoyances etc.

Hi!

I'm having problems with the mod, as it just does not show up in the toolbar, almost as if it wasn't installed.

I did everything as specified (not like there was very much to do, I copied the FMRS folder into my GameData folder)

It does do something, as the first time I opened the game after installing it a pop-up asked me whether to allow FMRS to look for updates, but that is pretty much everything, as it is nowhere to be seen once I enter a game.

I am fairly new to ksp, so it will likely be a dumb mistake on my part, regardless, any assistance I could get I'd be very grateful for :)

4 hours ago, falagan said:

Hi!

I'm having problems with the mod, as it just does not show up in the toolbar, almost as if it wasn't installed.

I did everything as specified (not like there was very much to do, I copied the FMRS folder into my GameData folder)

It does do something, as the first time I opened the game after installing it a pop-up asked me whether to allow FMRS to look for updates, but that is pretty much everything, as it is nowhere to be seen once I enter a game.

I am fairly new to ksp, so it will likely be a dumb mistake on my part, regardless, any assistance I could get I'd be very grateful for :)

The FMRS icon and window appear only in the flight views.  Stage Recovery, a partner mod, has a button in the VAB and SPH but not in the flight views.

You should be using the Toolbar Controller mod (it's a dependency) so make sure the icon is turned on for at least one of the locations, either the stock toolbar or Toolbar Continued.

Edited by Brigadier
Corrected error in my explanation

15 hours ago, Brigadier said:

The FMRS icon and window appear only in the flight views.  Stage Recovery, a partner mod, has a button in the VAB and SPH but not in the flight views.

You should be using the Toolbar Controller mod (it's a dependency) so make sure the icon is turned on for at least one of the locations, either the stock toolbar or Toolbar Continued.

Apparently I hadn't turned on the icon for any location in the Toolbar Controller.

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 2:18 AM, jamqdlaty said:

The contracts bug is still there. What's worse - I didn't even use FMRS during this playthrough. It's just installed. I never reverted to any stage. BUT there's another issue - sometimes when I wasn't focused on the ship that I started with and clicked ESC > Space Center it reverted my last flight instead. From what I've been reading here, the contract bug happens when reverting flight. I wanted to go reusable at some point, but had to remove the mod instead. :(

I see I posted about this myself in the past.
Just lost over an hour, I switched vessels multiple times and then got back to KSC just to see everything I did reverted and my Rocket back at the launchpad. How is this not listed as a known issue in the first post? I like the idea behind the mod and I'd like to use it sometimes, but it's ridiculous that I have to remember about this one mod ruining my game when I DON'T really use it's functionality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble with FMRS. It says it is armed at launch time, but when I stage FMRS doesn't notice the staging and won't allow me to go back to that point. It seems to be related to the Tundra Exploration line of parts Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated. 

Edited by [email protected]

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I am having trouble with FMRS. It says it is armed at launch time, but when I stage FMRS doesn't notice the staging and won't allow me to go back to that point. It seems to be related to the Tundra Exploration line of parts Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated. 

Do you have probe cores on the parts you are staging?

And what version of KSP are you using?

Edited by GoldForest

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Same problem here. And yes, there are probecores on every part.
FMRS is running but there will be no savepoints.
KSP 1.8.1

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer hi there.. I seem to be having an issue or two, could you perhaps help? 

FMRS seems to mess up when jumping back to the main mission. It ends up saving the main mission ship when it's falling while I'm landing boosters.

Also I lose throttle control of the landing rocket under like 1600m? It just goes dead, I apparently still have full control, rcs ,sas and 100% signal. Just the engines die. If i turn damage off, as it bounces off the ground it works again.

Could that be FMRS? Or do you have any idea what that is?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!