[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

Hey so I noticed that when I recover a used stage using this mod my game just stops responding for a long time (over 1-2 hours long) I want to know why does this happen as it takes 4 times as long to recover the craft as it does to reload the entire game and whether or not I can try to make it load faster. This also only started happening recently so I really doubt it has to do with my device being a potato. KSP.log file download   edit: reinstalling fmrs fixed it.

Edited by Average joe thats not joe

11 hours ago, Average joe thats not joe said:

Hey so I noticed that when I recover a used stage using this mod my game just stops responding for a long time (over 1-2 hours long) I want to know why does this happen as it takes 4 times as long to recover the craft as it does to reload the entire game and whether or not I can try to make it load faster. This also only started happening recently so I really doubt it has to do with my device being a potato. KSP.log file download

You have too many mods for your computer. It says you have 3918 ram, the game + DLC uses close to 4gbs of ram. I have 32gb of ram and I don't even use that many mods.

You should at least get rid of Scansat and see if that helps.

Edited by reducing

14 hours ago, Average joe thats not joe said:

Hey so I noticed that when I recover a used stage using this mod my game just stops responding for a long time (over 1-2 hours long) I want to know why does this happen as it takes 4 times as long to recover the craft as it does to reload the entire game and whether or not I can try to make it load faster. This also only started happening recently so I really doubt it has to do with my device being a potato. KSP.log file download

bruh you have <4 gigs ram what do you expect

17 hours ago, Average joe thats not joe said:

Hi!

As @reducingnoted, your current system just meets the minimum system requirements for running KSP without any mods. Actually, taking into account that your onboard graphic uses shared memory, and is (per your log) taking up about 2GB of memory, you don't meet the memory requirements for running stock KSP. But you've also got nearly 100 mods loaded. This is why it takes roughly 16 minutes (according to your game log) to load KSP. 

Your question is "why does it take longer to do something in game than it does to reload the entire game?" That's because that having the game loaded is pushing your system to its limits as it is. Adding more computations (like recovering a craft) is further taxing a system with nothing left to give. You say that this only started happening recently, but I can't address that. I can only suggest that you remove all of your mods and stick to playing stock. There's absolutely nothing wrong with stock KSP, and while mods to enhance the experience, only you can decide whether the cost (in time) is worth playing with mods installed. 

2 hours ago, eightiesboi said:

You say that this only started happening recently, but I can't address that. 

You tagged the wrong person. I've seen this claimed by multiple people who have overloaded their system. The game seems to work for a bit before it starts having problems. 

18 minutes ago, reducing said:

You tagged the wrong person. I've seen this claimed by multiple people who have overloaded their system. The game seems to work for a bit before it starts having problems. 

I was referring to what you said to @Average joe thats not joe, and I was agreeing with you. :)

Edited by eightiesboi

Thank you for this great mod, it helps with a whole lot of scenarios and I really hope KSP 2 addresses this natively.

I noticed that this does not recover any science stored on the ship on the non-main vessel when using Kerbalism. Kerbalism is one of the most important mods in my hardcore career. I have a situation where I am returning from a mission and I need to separate two vessels (one main and one rescue vessel) and send them both through the atmosphere at the same time and recover them. When recovering the secondary vessel (the vessel with all the science) I am only able to retrieve the part cost and the kerbals, but no data. Does anyone have a patch or FMRS branch that supports Kerbalism data stored on the vessel?

Edited by EvWoN

7 hours ago, EvWoN said:

Thank you for this great mod, it helps with a whole lot of scenarios and I really hope KSP 2 addresses this natively.

I noticed that this does not recover any science stored on the ship on the non-main vessel when using Kerbalism. Kerbalism is one of the most important mods in my hardcore career. I have a situation where I am returning from a mission and I need to separate two vessels (one main and one rescue vessel) and send them both through the atmosphere at the same time and recover them. When recovering the secondary vessel (the vessel with all the science) I am only able to retrieve the part cost and the kerbals, but no data. Does anyone have a patch or FMRS branch that supports Kerbalism data stored on the vessel?

Did you turn off automatic recovery and recover it yourself?

Also I don't think the mod supports missions like this, it works best for launching on Kerbin. I'm sure you could use it for other stuff but if you're using a complex mod like Kerbalism and trying to use this could cause problems. I've noticed some weird things happen when you use it on different planets.

Edited by reducing

5 hours ago, reducing said:

Did you turn off automatic recovery and recover it yourself?

Also I don't think the mod supports missions like this, it works best for launching on Kerbin. I'm sure you could use it for other stuff but if you're using a complex mod like Kerbalism and trying to use this could cause problems. I've noticed some weird things happen when you use it on different planets.

Thank you, this might work. I will have to test on the next mission that requires FMRS. So it will just cut the craft out of one save-instance and paste it into the main one? That sounds like it would work assuming Kerbalism saves the data to the craft in a standard fashion, here is hoping. I noticed yesterday that simply switching vessels caused the science to get lost, but I didn't investigate it for too long at the time and I am passed that now in my HC-career, maybe ill find some time to go back into the backups and try it out.  Also, mind me asking what weird things happen on different planets?

Edited by EvWoN

22 minutes ago, EvWoN said:

Also, mind me asking what weird things happen on different planets?

I was incorrect it was a different mod causing an issue that has been fixed. 

Yea playing with the save and load order might fix the problem. You can always do the problem, upload your log and see if it can be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey been playing with this recently in the context of an RO/RP-1 game.  Been having a few issues with something I was trying to do.  Wondering if someone knows what might be up?

I have a plane with a sounding rocket attached.  The sounding rocket is meant to complete some contracts, the plane just return to base and land.

Case 1:
- Plane cockpit is the root part.

I detach the sounding rocket and it flies off fine.  I land and recover the plane, I cannot jump back to the sounding rocket at that point, I'm back to the KSC view.  Is this is expected behavior?

Case 2:
- Plane cockpit is the root part.

I detach the sounding rocket and switch to it after I level off the plane.  I complete the contracts.  I switch back to the plane.  FMRS shows some 'fmrs completed contracts' in the message window.  I land and recover the plane, but those contracts are not recorded as completed once I've recovered the plane, and the game state doesn't recall that I've passed the Karman line.

Case 3:
- Sounding rocket core is the root part

I detach the sounding rocket.  Upon detach, the plane rips itself to shreds, seems many B9 wings are insta-destroyed, maybe an issue with FAR at that point?  Not sure.  This is true when I jump back to the plane, not just from the sounding rocket's perspective .This is a show stopper so I don't really follow up on this case.  I'll try it again with stronger wings soon.

I'll play with this a bit more but I'd like to know if there's anything I've done that's obviously wrong, particularly with Case 2 since that seems to be the closest to successful, I'm not sure why FMRS is forgetting the contracts that were completed.  Would a log at any point be helpful?  

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

I detach the sounding rocket and it flies off fine.  I land and recover the plane, I cannot jump back to the sounding rocket at that point, I'm back to the KSC view.  Is this is expected behavior?

It needs a control point (ie: probe core, etc), I wonder if that's a common problem with all of your issues

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It needs a control point (ie: probe core, etc), I wonder if that's a common problem with all of your issues

I have control points on everything - the plane has a cockpit, the sounding rocket has a probe core.  Jumping back to the sounding rocket works fine if I do it while the plane is still in flight, its only after recovery that there's no way back - is FMRS supposed to have a toolbar icon while in the KSC view? 

The "revert to launch" button on the FMRS window (not the one in the pause window) deletes all your current and completed contracts when you use it.

KSP version 1.12.2

Mods installed through CKAN. Reproducible using only FMRS and its dependencies.

• FMRS Continued 1.2.9.2
  • Click Through Blocker 0.1.10.17
  • Toolbar Controller 0.1.9.6
  • Zero MiniAVC 1.1.1.1
  • Recovery Controller 0.0.4 (Its max game version is 1.8.1, but it's required)
  • Module Manager 4.2.1

To reproduce:

Open a career mode game and accept a contract. Build any simple rocket. On the launchpad, verify that the contract is in the contract toolbar widget. Launch the rocket and then press the Revert to Launch button on the FMRS window. It will revert to before launch. Verify that the contract is no longer in the contract toolbar widget. Optionally also verify that previously completed contracts are not visible in mission control. Contracts can be restored only by loading a previous save.

Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Zp06A2M-1qyzPMa2QGGANJ3Fmxb1g3K/view?usp=sharing

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, a_shovel said:
Spoiler

The "revert to launch" button on the FMRS window (not the one in the pause window) deletes all your current and completed contracts when you use it.

KSP version 1.12.2

Mods installed through CKAN. Reproducible using only FMRS and its dependencies.

• FMRS Continued 1.2.9.2
  • Click Through Blocker 0.1.10.17
  • Toolbar Controller 0.1.9.6
  • Zero MiniAVC 1.1.1.1
  • Recovery Controller 0.0.4 (Its max game version is 1.8.1, but it's required)
  • Module Manager 4.2.1

To reproduce:

Open a career mode game and accept a contract. Build any simple rocket. On the launchpad, verify that the contract is in the contract toolbar widget. Launch the rocket and then press the Revert to Launch button on the FMRS window. It will revert to before launch. Verify that the contract is no longer in the contract toolbar widget. Optionally also verify that previously completed contracts are not visible in mission control. Contracts can be restored only by loading a previous save.

Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Zp06A2M-1qyzPMa2QGGANJ3Fmxb1g3K/view?usp=sharing

Thanks. I was getting this too, and having to rebuild my saves a couple of times. Now I know, I'll use quicksaves/manual saves a bit more. Could not figure out what was causing it.

On 8/18/2021 at 9:32 PM, Maxsimal said:

I have control points on everything - the plane has a cockpit, the sounding rocket has a probe core.  Jumping back to the sounding rocket works fine if I do it while the plane is still in flight, its only after recovery that there's no way back - is FMRS supposed to have a toolbar icon while in the KSC view? 

I have found that flights need to be done in the right order for FMRS to work as intended (and turn off auto recovery if needed).

So for your flights, turn off auto recovery. Launch the main rocket/flight. This main rocket/flight needs to be the "main mission" that you fly/use continuously as the return point for FMRS, until you are happy everything is in the correct position.

Make sure KSP has correctly set the root parts/separation (any error will mess up FMRS tracking, for example my latest rocket for some reason accidentally went to stage 1 as the "root/core" instead of stage 2 which reaches orbit).

So, for example, a 3 stage rocket, which has a  reusable landing first stage, a space plane second stage, and an orbital third stage, needs the requiring:

• Main "Core/Root" part being third stage orbital probe/core.
  • On first separation the *first stage* should separate and *detach* falling back to Kerbin.
  • On second separation the *second stage* should separate and *detach* falling back to Kerbin.
  • The third stage gets to orbit.

If this works correctly, there should be *no craft switching before the point of reaching orbit*.

• Then you can switch to (for example) the first stage, and land it *using FMRS menu*. Then *Return to the main craft using FMRS menu*.
  • Then you can fly/land the space plane *using FMRS menu*. Then *Return to the main craft using FMRS menu*.

Then once at the orbital craft, and confirming both stage 1 (lander) and stage 2 (spaceplane) are saved/active in the FMRS menu (or recovered), you can close FMRS as the craft should be merged into your one save. If you switch using KSP GUI/map/keyboard at any time, you may mess up the FMRS log or merging.

The above use of FMRS works every time for me, unless KSP messes up which probe core to switch to, or I use the KSP save/GUI to switch craft by mistake.

PS, if using only aircraft, I'm not sure how FMRS "saves" in atmosphere, but KSP added saving in atmos, right? So it should be possible to return to an aircraft, if not using an orbital 3rd stage. Or perhaps put a "fake" 3rd stage on there, of just a decoupler and a probe core. Set it as "root" and FMRS can use it to track the main mission for you?

Edited by Technical Ben

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, AtomicTech said:
  Hide contents

@linuxgurugamer, I'm working on a flag pack based on reusability and am interested in including a few reusability mods. Can I include FMRS into my package?

Sorry, no.  

Edit:  In general, I disapprove of making modpacks.  The only time I've allowed this is when it's a mod needed, such as a part module mod, etc.  But modpacks in general aren't a good idea, there have been extensive discussions about this in the forums over the years

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ninadragonborn said:

hi i have this problem recently when the part i want to recover when seperates the recovery  buttom disappear from FMRS i don't understand !?

3 hours ago, Ninadragonborn said:

please i really need help i can't fix it 

ummmm, first, this isn't my job, it's a hobby.  Even companies take time to get back, you need to have a little patience.

Second, you gave me absolutely ZERO information, other than something isn't working, so I can only guess.  If you tried to include a picture, it didn't work.

I can't really make any guesses, other than possibly that you forgot this:

• Every vessel which should be listed needs to have a probe core, command pod or a RealChute on it.

If the "part" you want to recover doesn't have one of these, it won't work

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ummmm, first, this isn't my job, it's a hobby.  Even companies take time to get back, you need to have a little patience.

Second, you gave me absolutely ZERO information, other than something isn't working, so I can only guess.  If you tried to include a picture, it didn't work.

I can't really make any guesses, other than possibly that you forgot this:

• Every vessel which should be listed needs to have a probe core, command pod or a RealChute on it.

If the "part" you want to recover doesn't have one of these, it won't work

its like all buttom of FMRS disapear as soon as i stage those part that i have chute and probe for recovery its so weird beacuse the FMRS works from start of rocket flight but when i stage those part i want to recover and they have both probe and chute the FMRS window become emptoy all buttom and even counter disapear