Jump to content

[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration


linuxgurugamer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey, I need some help. There's a constant bug I keep running into.

Whenever I use FMRS to recover stages, not every time, but very often, it's messing with the saves to where if I try to go back to the Space Center, it reloads back to a previous quicksave or FMRS save. the only way, I've found to get around it is to close the game and relaunch it, but this causes a significantly earlier save to load and I have to reload the most recent quicksave (which I do before I close the game) and got back to space center again.

I don't knwo if this is a known issue or if it's just something off about my install in particular. let me know if you guys need anything from me to help diagnose this problem. thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

(Ksp 1.8.1) im trying to do spacex style landings, with the tundra mod that adds a falcon style rocket. It works fine for the regular one with the single first stage, but using the heavy variant it doesnt work? It is controllable, with the probe core nose cone, but it just doesnt activate fmrs. When separating the central stage afterwards, it does activate just fine.

Edited by YaBoyShredderson
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all I'd like to thank you for looking after this mod, I've had it on previous versions of KSP though apart from a couple test flight I was mostly lazy and used StageRecovery instead.

I've had an issue today though, installed version 1.2.9.1 on KSP 1.10.1.2939 with a few other mods installed:

H45v78Q.jpg

I flew a quick test mission with a quick and dirty ramjet plane with a belly hold that dropped a simple probecore-fueltank-engine rocket out.

Mission proceeded in the following order:

  • I lofted the plane up into a parabolic profile and built a bit of speed
  • I dumped the rocket out the hold, swtiched to it with ] and then flew it into orbit
  • I then used FMRS to switch back to the carrier plane which I flew back to base and landed on the runway
  • I recovered the carrier using the standard top of the screen recover vessel button
  • As expected this jumped me back to the probe sitting happily in orbit

So far so good, then it was dinner time so I exited KSP (I think I exited to the main base screen before then exiting to the menu and shutting KSP down).

Well on loading up again I find that the two Kerbals who flew the carrier are safe and sound in the Astronaut Centre but they have reverted to level 0!

I had a quick look though the last couple pages and will read back further but thought I'd chuck up a quick post in case someone else has had this before and can chip in with an "Oh yeah, that'll happen if you do/don't do x".

I'm going to also try again with a different pair of Kerbals and see if it happens again.

Cheers.

 

ETA: One thing I have noticed when recreating the problem is that having got my probe into orbit and trying to return to the carrier is that it can take a lot of clicks on the button to get the revert to stage to trigger. Whether thats related or not I don't know.

Edited by Ashaman42
Additional information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2017 at 9:05 PM, DirkLarien said:

Howdy
Thank you for all the hard work you do here.

I have some feedback.

When you launching a probe from carrier airplane it is essential to make the dropped probe/rocket the root of the set (set = plane + rocket/probe).
So that when you decouple the rocket/probe that goes to space, you remain in control of that part that goes into space, not the plane !

(i think this could be nice bit of info added to OP since i doubt i am the last person to encounter this)

Otherwise the plugin will not work properly. (it gets rather confused :confused:)

+

I believe i encountered a bug.

When i did like i described above and let the plugin recover the landed carrier(EDIT: it does not matter if you let plugin do it or do it manually afterwards. It is same) i found out that crew lost their experience levels like if they were fresh from kerbal academy. :D

  ....or clones ! :o

Ok, so a bit of testing later whilst also pottering through the whole thread. I found the above post on page 4. So I rerooted my ship so that the probecore on the dropped rocket was the root. Doing this I found that I didn't have problems with the revert to dropped stage button not responding but my Kerbals still lost their experience.

If I leave the plane cockpit as the root vessel the Kerbals do keep their experience but when I revert to the dropped rocket:

  • The exit out of the drop bay isn't as neat, on reverting to the split the rocket clips the bay and has a bit of a tumble that isn't present in the original drop (I imagine upping the post split save time would fix that however)
  • When I revert to the "main mission" which is the plane landed back on the runway after I recover the plane the dropped rocket that I put nicely in orbit isn't there and doesn't seem to exist.

I'll keep reading the thread (I'm at page 6 now) but I may leave that till the morning as I'm well past my bedtime.

ETA: I realise that I've not added the log file, I'll sort out hosting that tomorrow along with the craft file. I just thought that it might be a known gotcha.

 

Edited by Ashaman42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the triple post but I have a onedrive link for the craft file and player.log

Et voila: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag0oyzMs5sOPk1_pptXsGzH_FXO8?e=dIThor

The last run I did I had the probecore as the root so the plane was treated as the dropped stage. On reverting to the dropped stage (after getting the probe to orbit) the Kerbals had their experience present and correct and flew to the runway happily but after recovering the plane they dropped to level 0 kerbonauts. I don't know if that helps narrow it down.

After another comment in the thread I've tried it with closing the FMRS window once returned to the main mission before I hit the space centre button and without closing it and either way the same result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using this together with KCT. Is there a simpler way to recover landed vessels to the VAB than to jump back to the main mission, then switch to the landed craft, recover it to VAB from there, then go to the tracking station and switch to the main mission again? It would be nice if FMRS would be aware of KCT and auto-recover them to the VAB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 1:39 AM, YaBoyShredderson said:

(Ksp 1.8.1) im trying to do spacex style landings, with the tundra mod that adds a falcon style rocket. It works fine for the regular one with the single first stage, but using the heavy variant it doesnt work? It is controllable, with the probe core nose cone, but it just doesnt activate fmrs. When separating the central stage afterwards, it does activate just fine.

I didn't use the Falcon Heavy for a while, but now I have the exact same problem. Interestingly, it worked when I attached a probe core to the fairing half, despite the probe not being the root part of the detached stage afterwards. Did you find a solution?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2020 at 2:28 AM, infinite_monkey said:

I didn't use the Falcon Heavy for a while, but now I have the exact same problem. Interestingly, it worked when I attached a probe core to the fairing half, despite the probe not being the root part of the detached stage afterwards. Did you find a solution?

I havent played that version of ksp in a while, but i never found a solution. it didnt work if i put another probe core on it either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Edit:  I re-downloaded fmrs from thhe link in this thread and it now works. 

 

 

ok I do have click through blocker and toolbar control installed also, this is a completely fresh install as of yesterday.  and worked fine untill adding fmrs.  other mods are eve, for science, kerbal engineer and mechjeb2.  game is stuck loading at the end and says "loading expansions"

 

log https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkg0z56ffgljavn/Player.log?dl=0

Edited by maverick8717
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, maverick8717 said:

Edit:  I re-downloaded fmrs from thhe link in this thread and it now works. 

 

 

ok I do have click through blocker and toolbar control installed also, this is a completely fresh install as of yesterday.  and worked fine untill adding fmrs.  other mods are eve, for science, kerbal engineer and mechjeb2.  game is stuck loading at the end and says "loading expansions"

 

log https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkg0z56ffgljavn/Player.log?dl=0

I'm confused. Is it working?  Do you still need help?

Where did you first download it from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maverick8717 said:

I first got it from curse forge.  it is now working.  sorry for bugging you.  maybe you could update it and add the dependencies on curse forge since that is the primary mod place for ksp.

 

thanks!

The primary place for KSP mods is Spacedock,  not Curse.  

But the best way to install mods is using CKAN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The primary place for KSP mods is Spacedock,  not Curse.  

I get what you say. But both the "Get Mods!" link in this forum's header and the "Mods" link on kerbalspaceprogram.com link to Curseforge, is what they meant, I think. Curseforge is the "official" place for KSP mods wherease Spacedock has evolved to be the "primary" place. When I need to download a mod manually, I look on Github.

I fully agree that CKAN solves a lot of that confusion :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

I get what you say. But both the "Get Mods!" link in this forum's header and the "Mods" link on kerbalspaceprogram.com link to Curseforge, is what they meant, I think. Curseforge is the "official" place for KSP mods wherease Spacedock has evolved to be the "primary" place. When I need to download a mod manually, I look on Github.

I fully agree that CKAN solves a lot of that confusion :)

 

Squad says Curse, but I'm not aware of any mods which use Curse as a primary download site.  Squad has a contract with Curse, we have no idea what it says.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, TomfooleryYT said:

Hey, I need some help. There's a constant bug I keep running into.

Whenever I use FMRS to recover stages, not every time, but very often, it's messing with the saves to where if I try to go back to the Space Center, it reloads back to a previous quicksave or FMRS save. the only way, I've found to get around it is to close the game and relaunch it, but this causes a significantly earlier save to load and I have to reload the most recent quicksave (which I do before I close the game) and got back to space center again.

I don't knwo if this is a known issue or if it's just something off about my install in particular. let me know if you guys need anything from me to help diagnose this problem. thank you!

@linuxgurugamer, I've just seen this behavior as well.  It's also cleaning out all contracts (at least while using Contract Configurator), both active and archived, and MJ settings get reset.  Steps to duplicate:

1) Build a Falcon 9-like rocket, with probe control on dropped stages.

2) Drop first stage (booster) before fuel runs out and complete flight with second stage (I do this all with MJ Ascent Guidance).

3) Once in orbit, use FMRS to jump and revert back to the dropped stage.

4) From the reverted, dropped, stage, use FMRS's "Revert To Launch" function.

5) Go and check your contracts.

As far as I can tell, using FMRS Revert To Launch from the main mission (origin) stage, doesn't have this problem, either before jumping to the dropped stage or after coming back to the main.  The way for me to recover was to re-load an earlier full save.

I'm using KSP 1.11.2 x64 on Win 10, with both Squad expansions, ContractConfigurator 1.30.5, MJ 1042, and FMRS 1.2.9.1, ToolbarControl 0.1.9.4, ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.10.15, SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.6, RecoveryController 0.0.4, and StageRecovery 1.9.5.1.

I still need to do a completely clean install check on just Stock and FMRS, as my Falcon 9-like craft is using a bunch of NFT mods, but I never saw anything like this until I added FMRS and related mods today.

Edited by KSPrynk
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

I still need to do a completely clean install check on just Stock and FMRS, as my Falcon 9-like craft is using a bunch of NFT mods, but I never saw anything like this until I added FMRS and related mods today.

Alright, this is going to be a tough one: I've tried plain Stock 1.11.2, in a new career Save Game, with just FMRS, and with ToolbarControl, ClickThroughBlocker, SpaceTuxLibrary, RecoveryController, and StageRecovery.  I threw in MJ and KER, just to do fast flight iterations.  Not able to duplicate.

I started with Stock contracts, then I added Contract Configurator.  Still not able to duplicate.

I threw the two Stock Expansions back in. THAT DID IT.  Contracts got blanked out, after I did "Revert to Launch" while active in the *dropped* stage.

I'm still tying to nail this down a bit further, but I took out Contract Configurator, StageRecovery, RecoveryController, and SpaceTuxLibrary, and it did NOT happen with the other mods installed (Expansions, FMRS, Toolbar, ClickThrough, MJ, and KER) .  So I think I'm narrowing down to those previous four and the Expansions that don't like each other.  More work to do....

EDIT: Ugh.  I restored Contract Configurator, then removed it and restored the Stage Recovery trio.  No joy.  Then I put them all back and couldn't duplicate the problem.  Which suggests there may be something with full-saves vs quick-saves before Reverting.  I'm tapped out for now.  But at least I ruled out a LOT of other mods....

Edited by KSPrynk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...