[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please see what you can do about a reproducible set of steps, would be very helpful.

I'm busy right now with a couple of other mods, hope to get back to this in a day or so

Thanks

I've done another try and the reproduction steps are as follows:

-Build a launch vehicle with two booster stages attached to a central stage. 

-Launch with all three stages firing.

-Booster separation.

-Jump to separated stage and attempt landing.

-Land both booster stages.

-Revert to launch using FMRS button when viewing the separated booster stage.

-The contracts are emptied.

Note the above procedures are just my reproduction steps, many details might not be needed to reproduce the problem such the rocket configuration or the number of landing attempts.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

[...]

I can confirm this behaviour. All contracts are deleted when using FMRS. For some modded contracts, like Tourism plus, they are all available again and I must start from scratch, but others like stock exploration just disappear, so I can continue with the next mission.

Edited by Fonso

I have a problem since FMRS is installed in my GameData folder. 1st launch is all ok, my Falcon9 returned correctly to land and my cargo go for his mission. But I make another launch and after switch to another my probe, all are in a strange status: "Not enough eletric charge". But they have the batts full and solar panels are rightly oriented.

Can I do something for repair my savegame?

Do I need to do something that I don't know?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

EDIT: Sorry but the problem was not FMRS but FUSEBOX. I installed them from ckan when you update the "continued" version and I supposed FMRS was the problem!

Edited by runtime13

2 hours ago, runtime13 said:

I have a problem since FMRS is installed in my GameData folder. 1st launch is all ok, my Falcon9 returned correctly to land and my cargo go for his mission. But I make another launch and after switch to another my probe, all are in a strange status: "Not enough eletric charge". But they have the batts full and solar panels are rightly oriented.

Can I do something for repair my savegame?

Do I need to do something that I don't know?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

EDIT: Sorry but the problem was not FMRS but FUSEBOX. I installed them from ckan when you update the "continued" version and I supposed FMRS was the problem!

Fusebox was updated this morning, please let me know if it happens again after you update

• 2 weeks later...

After so long in KSP, this mod just came to my attention. I didn't know about it's existence and I wish I had. Brilliant. This definitely should be part of the stock game.

Howdy
Thank you for all the hard work you do here.

I have some feedback.

When you launching a probe from carrier airplane it is essential to make the dropped probe/rocket the root of the set (set = plane + rocket/probe).
So that when you decouple the rocket/probe that goes to space, you remain in control of that part that goes into space, not the plane !

(i think this could be nice bit of info added to OP since i doubt i am the last person to encounter this)

Otherwise the plugin will not work properly. (it gets rather confused :confused:)

+

I believe i encountered a bug.

When i did like i described above and let the plugin recover the landed carrier(EDIT: it does not matter if you let plugin do it or do it manually afterwards. It is same) i found out that crew lost their experience levels like if they were fresh from kerbal academy. :D

....or clones ! :o

Edited by DirkLarien
reasons

A quick question; Is an automated system implemented as well? That is, at some point having landed the same booster for the 10th time, the novelty will wear off, and I personally would probably want to be able to choose, because personally landing it, and just letting an algorithm decide, rather the stage has the necessary parachutes/fuel to land, and count it as destroyed or recovered on its own. Kinda like StageRecovery.

Or can I dynamically turn it off, so that it can make in tendum with StageRecovery?

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No automated system, this is for you to land it yourself.

Right now, I believe that if you have Stage Recovery installed and you do NOT activate this, SR will work.

Can I decide whether to active it or not, at launch or some other convenient location?

Would it be possible to add a stage transponder? One of the issues that I've had with FMRS is my recoverable stages require full physics simulation to land successfully but do not require user input thus adding probe cores to each and every stage is not really viable. My proposal is a small physicsless surface mount transponder which serves to designate FMRS stages and create a FMRS save point when seperated.

The main issue here is SR's reentry calculations result in upper stages being destroyed durring reentry dispite shielding and aerodynamics to keep a retrograde allignment thus the need for FMRS saves on these unguided stages to allow full physics simulation on reentry

Edited by Mikeloeven

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No automated system, this is for you to land it yourself.

Right now, I believe that if you have Stage Recovery installed and you do NOT activate this, SR will work.

Yes, StageRecovery v1.7.0 works with FMRS. If you don't have FMRS active then SR will attempt to recover it, and if you defer parachute-only stages to SR then it'll try to recover those.

5 minutes ago, Mikeloeven said:

The main issue here is SR's reentry calculations result in upper stages being destroyed durring reentry dispite shielding and aerodynamics to keep a retrograde allignment thus the need for FMRS saves on these unguided stages to allow full physics simulation on reentry

You can just increase the DR Max Velocity setting in the StageRecovery settings if you don't believe the default value of 2000 m/s is acceptable, or set it to 0 to disable that feature entirely. With the default value, stages going 2000 m/s at deletion start having a chance of burning up and at 3000 m/s have a 100% chance of not surviving. Adding a full heat shield shifts that to 3000 m/s to start having a chance and 4000 m/s to definitely burn up.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:05 PM, DirkLarien said:

I believe i encountered a bug.

When i did like i described above and let the plugin recover the landed carrier(EDIT: it does not matter if you let plugin do it or do it manually afterwards. It is same) i found out that crew lost their experience levels like if they were fresh from kerbal academy. :D

....or clones ! :o

New finding.

Contract list gets also reset.

And currently accepted contracts and contract archive get deleted !

Edited by DirkLarien

28 minutes ago, DirkLarien said:

New finding.

Contract list gets also reset.

And currently accepted contracts and contract archive get deleted !

Log file please.

Also, are you running the latest version, this was a bug which was fixed in the last release: 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Thanks for this, looking to heavily use Space X style craft (though would like to "automate" it once I got a 95% consistency out of the flight profiles... so will search for that other mod somewhere...).

SSTO and landing stages just seems more elegant, and doing a quick jump between stages (only just doable some times :P ) is rather risky.

1 minute ago, Technical Ben said:

Thanks for this, looking to heavily use Space X style craft (though would like to "automate" it once I got a 95% consistency out of the flight profiles... so will search for that other mod somewhere...).

SSTO and landing stages just seems more elegant, and doing a quick jump between stages (only just doable some times :P ) is rather risky.

Use SR for "automated" recoveries.

I was thinking more the automated fuel/part/craft delivery. For when I have a "strap 7 sections to it" idea, and can launch 3 of them, then "cheat" in the other 4...

I'll search for the mod and see if it is updated. But this Flight Manager is the main one for my SpaceX and related designs. :)

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file please.

Also, are you running the latest version, this was a bug which was fixed in the last release: 

My apologies i was not running most recent one.

you are extremely fast developer :-)

I am not used to such speed.

Thank you and sorry for bothering.