[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

32 minutes ago, Technical Ben said:

Note to self... helps to have something to control the stage... if I want it re-useable. LOL!

Pics would have been nice to go along with this :D

Anyway, if you have parachutes, you can use StageRecovery to recover it, just enable the option to allow SR to take control in the settings.

Nah, I was trying to pilot it, and wondering why I could not control the stage anyhow... :wink:

But nice to know your mod does not waste resources on unmanned pods/stages (and your first post does state this, so was the first thing I saw when trying to bug test my design/install).

Second note to self, this is the second "bug" that was a missing part in my designs just this week... must put myself on github to be bugchecked!

[Edit]

Worked a charm. Now to tweak my Space X inspired "moar boosters (vectors actually, cos OverPowered!)" rocket to have a few less parts and better trimmed DV and weight. :)

THANKS!

Edited by Technical Ben

@linuxgurugamer I found something! I had some time so today i unistalled mods 1 by 1 while keeping others installed while trying to find the culprit.

After unistalling SETI reblance/unmanned before manned/contracts the problem fixed itself!! i tested multiple times with craft 1 in sandbox and craft 4 in career( since craft 1 was not possible in career).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFqVCK5mGRRRDVzSE8wbHpBeVk

35 minutes ago, CRS said:

@linuxgurugamer I found something! I had some time so today i unistalled mods 1 by 1 while keeping others installed while trying to find the culprit.

After unistalling SETI reblance/unmanned before manned/contracts the problem fixed itself!! i tested multiple times with craft 1 in sandbox and craft 4 in career( since craft 1 was not possible in career).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFqVCK5mGRRRDVzSE8wbHpBeVk

Very strange.  No time now, but I'll take a look in a few days.

New release, 1.2.3.8

• Added integration with RecoveryController (new mod, integrates both SR & FMRS together when both installed)

RecoveryController is a new mod I wrote to provide better integration between FMRS and StageRecovery, details are below.

This is a brand new thing and there's a non-zero chance for bugs. If you test it out, let me and @magico13  know.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I love you. You're like an orphanage for mods!

I got 2 questions:

1. I guess it will have some problems with x-science?

2. The "science might get lost" if I drop let's say a rover out of a plane, land the plane and then do science with the rover, am I save?

cheers, and thanks a gain for maintaining all those mods!

Hi,

Is there some reason why FMRS got disabled after stage separation on this craft? Or is this a bug?

Mods with possible effect: KER, PersistentRotation, DangIt, Kerbalism, MechJeb2 (I have a mechjeb probe module on the second stage)

I'll post logs and craft file when it's needed.

EDIT: It seems that it only works when the root part is a probe / command module.

Edited by Reusables

New bug:

the mod functions normally, for the most part, but shows a gazillion buttons on the stock toolbar. Note that I also have the blizzy toolbar also installed. I can't do without the blizzy one, due to mods that require it. Can you fix this?

P.S. This is my first post on the forums, even though I have ~2000hrs in the game :D

• 3 weeks later...

If i launch a Falcon-9-plus-dragon-style rocket, trying to land both stages back at KSC, is that possible? Because if i land any of the two stages and recover it, nothing happens, and i loose the second stage.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:39 PM, CaribeanSoul said:

What's the word on using this with KRASH?  I don't know what all this does behind the scenes but I can certainly imagine the potential for weird/confusing interactions with both running.

While I haven't tested, it should be ok.  They use different save files.

• 2 weeks later...

Was trying to figure out how to get FMRS to track a spent stage without having to attach a probe part or parachute to it.

Spoiler

not sure why this isn't working, but I'm trying to track my spent booster stages so I can return to them but I don't want to attach parachutes, probes or command pods to them. So I used ModuleManager to add a command module to the boosters themselves like so:

@PART[SR_Rocket_35_02]:FINAL
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleCommand
    minimumCrew = 0
  }
}

So I built this rocket in the VAB:

NoQIZ88l.png

Starting with the top booster as the root part and working down before adding the nosecone. I disabled the automatic decoupling of the USI boosters. Flying this I am able to control it all the way through the final stage but the two booster stages that drop off are not picked up by FMRS. Now, if I add USI Avionics Units to only the two lower boosters:

bjl0vchl.png

Now when I launch, without having to specify the top booster with a "Control from here", I just launch and as the two lower stages separate they are picked up by FMRS.

Why is this? There aren't even any batteries on this rocket and the USI probe units require EC in order to work (the boosters lack any EC requirement), so they aren't even functioning and yet they still somehow make a difference.

I figured out I need to make things have a Command module and vessel type Probe to work. Got it.

Still, LGG since you've gone the extra length to have a mod that lets you specify how a stage should be tracked, why even bother still having the built-in rules by which FMRS tracks stages? If Recovery Controller can let you decide whether FMRS or Stage Recovery tracks the stage, how about another option for "No Stage Tracking"? This way when FMRS is set to track a stage it does so regardless of what parts that stage consists of, and if the user doesn't want a stage they won't be recovering to be tracked they just disable tracking for that stage.

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 29/05/2017 at 8:22 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.2.5:

• Fixed bug in RecoveryController which caused harmless nullrefs when StageRecovery wasn't installed
  • Updated to 1.3

The mod seems to have disappeared from CKAN?

ok So first off thanks @linuxgurugamer for reviving this and other mods.   Have a question about How to use/ troubleshooting a weird situation (advanced.)   I launched a BDB based Atlas Vega probe to the Mun today.  On it was a ProbesPlus lander.   I land on the Mun but my Vega Probe (which is my comms network to get science back to Kerbin) is deleted by FMRS or Staged Recovery.   I have the latest of all my mods.   Please note that nothing in the "communication/rewards" about recovery or loss of said probe... I will post a set of screen shots in a bit as well as a full modlist and Log if required.

Is this an expected behavior???    My Vega Probe was in a 91km X 81km Orbit of the Mun at ~0 degrees inclination.   Had solar, lots of comms (it is a relay probe after-all) and enough battery power for 5 orbits with no solar (but I had huge solar panels on it.)

Game version is 1.3 X64 on a machine with 32gb of ram and no extra programs except web-browser running.

I can't seem to get it to work. I tried the same as Scott Manley in the video (Plane, then rocket launch from plane), but everytime I decouple, the throttle of the rocket sets itself to zero. It also completely stops working when loading from a quicksave, then it doesn't even recognize a stage separation (but the throttle works again, so it must be an issue of the mod saving). 

i been using this with stage recovery and its working pretty good.. except when it does not.. a few times when i went to land the booster stage and hit main mission button, nothing happens.. it also wont let me revert to launch at this point.

it could be because i'm not doing it right? i launched the ship, i separate the SRBs which i let SR handle, then i go to orbit and separate the main engine.. then i fly that to where i am going and do my mission and afterwards i choose to go back to my separation and land the 2nd stage.. at that point when it's landed i hit go back to main mission and the whole thing stops working. its not every time tho.. usually at that point i will be stuck to recover the craft i just landed and then continue on with the game.. my mission scrapped having never gotten credit for it.. 

also, i am wondering if i can choose to adjust the % you get by landing the booster? in SR i set it to 98% by a config, but when FMRS takes over, it is different based on distance from the base..

im still on 1.2.2 and using version 1.2.4

Edited by aaronsta1

On 6/4/2017 at 4:08 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It could be expected. This is really intended for parts which need to be landed.  I'm not sure what would happen if you use it to put a satellite in orbit and then flip back to the main vessel

So what you are saying is I need to land all the Landed parts and then Shut Down FMRS before placing a lander on the Mun?

I just want to make certain I do this the "correct" way as designed.

And TIA!