[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

On 4/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, SchitzoSchaf said:

Is there an solution for the deleted contract issue? I can reproduce it every time, if you recover more than one stage and you use return to launch button from FMRS you get all contracts deleted.

the only solution so far : quicksave before entering the vab (always a good idea) and use that save instead of the revert button

Not at the present time. When I’m done with all mod updates, I’ll be able to look into it

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not at the present time. When I’m done with all mod updates, I’ll be able to look into it

Thx. Another bug /feature with StageRecovery installed, StageRecovery should manage stages with only parachutes right? It does, most of them. If i drop more than 1 part at the time, lets say 2 boosters with parachutes Stage Recovery only takes over one of them the other one stays in the list of FMRS until I i watch it land. IDK if this is some restriction of StageRecovery or some other problem. 

27 minutes ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

Thx. Another bug /feature with StageRecovery installed, StageRecovery should manage stages with only parachutes right? It does, most of them. If i drop more than 1 part at the time, lets say 2 boosters with parachutes Stage Recovery only takes over one of them the other one stays in the list of FMRS until I i watch it land. IDK if this is some restriction of StageRecovery or some other problem. 

I believe I ran into this myself not so long ago.

Curious; do you have FRMS installed, too?  When you added the parts in VAB, did you add them with symmetry, and did you set the decouplers to Auto, FMRS or SR (None is also an option but I figure you didn't select that one)?  In my case, I added the parts symmetrically but then forgot to set the decouplers to SR.  They defaulted to Auto IIRC.

On my initial launch, I experienced exactly the same behaviour as you.  When I rechecked in the VAB and forced SR, the problem disappeared.

11 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I believe I ran into this myself not so long ago.

Curious; do you have FRMS installed, too?  When you added the parts in VAB, did you add them with symmetry, and did you set the decouplers to Auto, FMRS or SR (None is also an option but I figure you didn't select that one)?  In my case, I added the parts symmetrically but then forgot to set the decouplers to SR.  They defaulted to Auto IIRC.

On my initial launch, I experienced exactly the same behaviour as you.  When I rechecked in the VAB and forced SR, the problem disappeared.

I did not know that there is an option at the decouplers at all. Looked into the FRMS Options on a new game and discovered that option that says something like: let SR handle stages with only parachutes, so i decided to install that too. Then it is my fault. Then I have to set that booster stages myself to SR.

I looked into it: I added with symmetry, 1 defaulted FMRS the other one to SR. LOL. There is no AUTO Option. My second stage is FMRS by default, but also has only parachutes it gets recovered by SR.

No big deal but thx for pointing me to that decoupler option.

Edited by SchitzoSchaf

• 1 month later...

I was trying to use this in 1.4.3, and i get an annoying issue

When I decouple my first stage the GUI just goes blank and freezes, and I get this message in the log :

Spoiler

[EXC 15:11:05.465] FormatException: Unknown char: F
    System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
    System.Double.Parse (System.String s)
    System.Convert.ToDouble (System.String value)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.MainGUI (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Full log is here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbafa34gqujtxfb/KSP.log?dl=0

I don't know if I've done something wrong or if it's just a problem with 1.4.3. 

On 5/30/2018 at 4:21 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like i have a typo, I’ll look at it tomorrow

Thanks !

But it may just be a conflict with another mod, I was mostly posting here in case it was already a known bug with a simple solution.

I'll try to replicate on a stock game with only FMRS, provide you with a much cleaner log, and if I don't encounter the issue in the stock game I'll try to install my mods one by one to see which one is problematic.

So, for now, I don't understand...

I haven't been able to replicate it in a stock game so far, but I have found some interresting info.

In my modded game, the issue only seems to occur when I have a relatively high number of stages (about 10+) on my rocket. I initially thought that it was caused by a part used in my rocket, tried to remove the usual suspects one by one... Until removing the (FASA) launch clamps made the trick. However, I figured that it wasn't caused by the launch clamps themselves when I tried several other test rockets, with or without launch clamps. It seems to be caused by the fact of having too many stages (my clamps and lauch tower and umbilical fuel conduits were on different stages, so when I removed them all I removed quite a few stages). 

When I build a stupid rocket with many many probe stages and decouplers, the first couple of stages separate just fine without crashing FMRS, and the bug only occurs when I separate stage 5-6 or so. That being said, it happens with total regularity, on the same exact stage (which is exactly the same as all the previous ones).

I'll try to investigate some more when I have some spare time to play KSP, which may not be soon (I'm really busy at work these days and working extra hours :/ ). In the meantime, if you have some clues on what may cause the issue, and some interesting leads to investigate, I'd be glad to try anything you can suggest ! 

Edited by lBoBl

6 hours ago, lBoBl said:

So, for now, I don't understand...

I haven't been able to replicate it in a stock game so far, but I have found some interresting info.

In my modded game, the issue only seems to occur when I have a relatively high number of stages (about 10+) on my rocket. I initially thought that it was caused by a part used in my rocket, tried to remove the usual suspects one by one... Until removing the (FASA) launch clamps made the trick. However, I figured that it wasn't caused by the launch clamps themselves when I tried several other test rockets, with or without launch clamps. It seems to be caused by the fact of having too many stages (my clamps and lauch tower and umbilical fuel conduits were on different stages, so when I removed them all I removed quite a few stages). 

When I build a stupid rocket with many many probe stages and decouplers, the first couple of stages separate just fine without crashing FMRS, and the bug only occurs when I separate stage 5-6 or so. That being said, it happens with total regularity, on the same exact stage (which is exactly the same as all the previous ones).

I'll try to investigate some more when I have some spare time to play KSP, which may not be soon (I'm really busy at work these days and working extra hours :/ ). In the meantime, if you have some clues on what may cause the issue, and some interesting leads to investigate, I'd be glad to try anything you can suggest ! 

How about providing me with a craft file and specific steps to reproduce this

• 1 month later...

I have been getting the FormatException: Unknown char: F NRE a lot on the first staging.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

How about providing me with a craft file and specific steps to reproduce this

Finding steps to reproduce has been very elusive and frustrating! I need to sleep just now so I can't do anymore testing today but I am under the hopefully not misguided  impression at the moment that it occurs for vessels launched with the aid of launch clamps but goes away when launch clamps are not used. Linux KSP v1.4.5 all latest versions of FMRS, click through blocker, toolbar and toolbar controller. I had it in KSP 1.4.3 as well.

6 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

I have been getting the FormatException: Unknown char: F NRE a lot on the first staging.

Finding steps to reproduce has been very elusive and frustrating! I need to sleep just now so I can't do anymore testing today but I am under the hopefully not misguided  impression at the moment that it occurs for vessels launched with the aid of launch clamps but goes away when launch clamps are not used. Linux KSP v1.4.5 all latest versions of FMRS, click through blocker, toolbar and toolbar controller. I had it in KSP 1.4.3 as well.

Would appreciate it if you could confirm that when you wake up

@linuxgurugamer. Sorry about the delay... life.

I built a 3 stage rocket with stock parts only all of the 1.25 form factor. (But the game is modded).

• Stage 1. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit + FL-T800 tank + Swivel + 4 winglets
  • Stage 2. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit + FL-T400 tank + Swivel
  • Stage 3. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit (root) + inline stabilizer + FL-T200 tank + Terrier + Nose Cone
  • Added to each and every stage 2X Z100 batteries and one 16-S antenna.
  • Stages linked by 2X TD-12 decouplers = 26 parts.

After several test launches,

• If I launch without any launch clamp then FMRS works perfectly as expected for both the 2 staging events.
  • If I use any launch clamp/s whatever attached to any stage/position then the "FormatException: Unknown char: F" seems to be occurring every time at the first staging event and it does not recover functionality at the second staging event.

49 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

@linuxgurugamer. Sorry about the delay... life.

I built a 3 stage rocket with stock parts only all of the 1.25 form factor. (But the game is modded).

• Stage 1. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit + FL-T800 tank + Swivel + 4 winglets
  • Stage 2. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit + FL-T400 tank + Swivel
  • Stage 3. RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit (root) + inline stabilizer + FL-T200 tank + Terrier + Nose Cone
  • Added to each and every stage 2X Z100 batteries and one 16-S antenna.
  • Stages linked by 2X TD-12 decouplers = 26 parts.

After several test launches,

• If I launch without any launch clamp then FMRS works perfectly as expected for both the 2 staging events.
  • If I use any launch clamp/s whatever attached to any stage/position then the "FormatException: Unknown char: F" seems to be occurring every time at the first staging event and it does not recover functionality at the second staging event.

That's good, but I also need the log file, please

@linuxgurugamer Biting the bullet. I have started with a clean stock and I am adding mods back in progressively. 
Almost everything is back in and as usual the bug has gone away somewhere. :huh: Still investigating.
I appreciate you need a log file but at the same time I hate to waste your time by submitting an effectively useless log file. 

Alright. It seems likely there is a conflict of some sort with the GPP planet pack or one of its dependencies. GPP is currently not supported to be run on KSP 1.4.5 so I must apologise sincerely for bothering you and wasting your valuable time.  

Thanks as always for your help and all your wonderful mods.

Edited by Kaa253

1 hour ago, Kaa253 said:

Alright. It seems likely there is a conflict of some sort with the GPP planet pack or one of its dependencies. GPP is currently not supported to be run on KSP 1.4.5 so I must apologise sincerely for bothering you and wasting your valuable time.  

Thanks as always for your help and all your wonderful mods.

thanks for the update

On 4/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, linuxgurugamer said:
On 4/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Is there an solution for the deleted contract issue? I can reproduce it every time, if you recover more than one stage and you use return to launch button from FMRS you get all contracts deleted.

Hi, I thought I'd check and see if this bug was ever addressed for FRMS? I have noticed it a couple times as well. I think everything is going fine, but once I've completed a mission using FMRS then I notice that all my open contracts have deleted.

I've resorted to creating a quicksave before the start of every mission, and if I get the bug, then I try to re-do the mission, etc. Would be great if this wouldn't be the case.

This might be one of the lower-level mods on your plate. :D

UPDATE (2 hours later): I just ran an FMRS mission, but didn't encounter the contract-wiping issue. I just let it play out, switched my 5 stages (4 boosters, 1 main), kept the 'Recover Automatically' button on, and after each step it went back to the main mission automatically.

I didn't need to hit the "return to launch" or "return to separation" buttons this time, so perhaps that's why there were no issues? I'll try testing on a clean stock game, using different scenarios of hitting the buttons, etc. I really like this mod and want to help make sure it's useful for everyone.

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I think I found a bug.

Log + Craft file (though I don't think that it's dependant on which vessel it is, but I only tested it with this one, so here you go): http://azzurite.tv/bugreport.zip

Activated Mods:

• FMRS
  • RecoveryController
  • KSP Toolbar Plugin
  • ToolbarControl
  • ClickthroughBlocker
  • KerbalEngineer

Reproduction steps:

1. Get the spacecraft launched and out of the atmosphere
  2. Go away from the spacecraft to the space center to check on something real quick
  3. Go back to the spacecraft
  4. Enable FMRS again
  5. Seperate a stage
  6. Land it & Recover it
  7. Go back to the main spacecraft
  8. The landed stage has not been registered as landed, it's still there as if it had not been landed

So it seems as if FMRS just doesn't work when you re-engage it in-flight. I have reproduced it two times, once with all my mods, and once with only the ones posted about here.  It worked fine with the same spacecraft without going to the space center.

Edited by Azzu
add sentence

Also, I have noticed another problem:

when I start with FMRS enabled (but not use it), and then go to another vessel via another mod (for example Kerbal Alarm Clock or Easy Vessel Switch) and then try to go back to space center from that other ship FMRS seems to think that I wanted to "revert to launch", and thus all my progress I made is lost. It's happened two times now because I forgot to turn off FMRS for that flight. I don't know if this sort of inter-mod-compatibility is something you want to fix, but it would be very nice for me. It's quite infuriating to lose progress just like that :D

1 hour ago, se5a said:

Can I use this to handle times when I get two burns on two different ships wanting to happen at the same time?

ie, a transfer burn with minmus happening at the same time as one on the mun.

No, I don't think so, unless the ships started out connected and you staged/separated them.  Even that would be a stretch because to control the second craft would require a revert to the separation point.

Could that be added as a feature?

The stage/separation bit is only to give it a point in time to save and merge back into isn't it?

If we could feed it two (or more) ships and a point in time, it shouldn't be too  much of a code change I imagine, at least as I understand how it does what it does.