[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

I have the situation, that I have a carrier plane that grabs an orbit stage with a Klaw, flies that out of the worst part of the soup around Eve, then releases the orbit stage and flies back to the surface, while the orbit stage continues until it reaches orbit. I can fly both stages separately but haven't managed to merge them (yet?).

Because I use the Klaw, the "master vessel" that I control immediately after separation is the carrier plane. I can land the carrier, and then jump back to the orbit stage and fly that into orbit. But then I cannot merge the orbiting stage to the save with the landed carrier.

Is there a way to deal with this?

On 9/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, Kaa253 said:

This only happens if you don't close the FMRS Flight Manager GUI before switching to another vessel or even before exiting the game directly from the flight scene. Yes, it's difficult to remember to close it and very annoying.

If only I didn't have 10 GUI windows on my screen at all times, I might notice the small FMRS panel. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Huh, this is funny. Contrary to expectation, I'm perfectly able to use FMRS to watch parts without probe cores fall back to Kerbin. Like engines with a small fuel tank still attached to have something to put chutes on (activated simultaneously with the decoupler), or SRBs with chutes. Sometimes it even gives me the option of following chuteless debris down to its demise when I've specified that the stage should be managed by FMRS instead of Stage Recovery.

Anyway. Beautiful mod for someone who just loves to see those uncontrollable but expensive rocket parts sail back to the surface under a multitude of chutes.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Frankenshtine said:

I found a kind of bug. In my installation, if I click "return to launch" after the separation of stages, all current and completed contracts disappear. The contract system is reset, as if I never did them.

Current .ckan file of my installation here: https://dropmefiles.com/wPRkN

I would recommend you always post a link to to your log file (see the link in my sig block for help).  Your initial problem report should also include which versions of KSP and mod you're using.  While this info and be teased from the log, it's nice to provide it early because it saves time and effort.

You also have a lot of mods installed, including a few contract packs.  Have you tried replicating this problem on a clean install with just FMRS, Contract Configurator and dependencies?

I hit this bug long enough, on KSP 1.7, but only now guessed a reason (how to reproduce). And got it at second chance - first time I make separation, activate parachute, reverted to launch and it was good, but doing same again (probably making longer pause between stages, or bug triggered on second reversion, I'm not sure for now) lead to contracts are gone. Here is Player.log: https://dropmefiles.com/iulMj

I'll test minimum mods installation later.

Edited by Frankenshtine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey I tryed installing the mod I installed click trough blocker and toolbar controller and the mod self and the module manager for 1..7.3 but the mod doesn't work and yes I am playing ksp 1.7.3 and I installed the older version for 1.7.3 for the mod and the depencies so help? (fixed it)

Edited by mastermaxim09
Fixed the problem

Help I have a bug with the mod it works in the beginning but after I stage the box becomes totally grey and you can't fix it unless you reload the plugin by closing the window and opening it again what means I can't use the mod any help?

fmrs.PNG

Here is my KSP log file https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/132503638793912320/665594016007716875/KSP.log

Edit: And I have tried to do a clean install of ksp that does work but I wan't to play with mods so any idea which mod caused this

Mods installed (look screens):

0.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

Edited by mastermaxim09
Forgot something

Just now, Hsdgug said:

Hey guys! I was wondering if there was a working FMRS for version 1.5.1? I can't seem to find one.
Thank you for the help!

Welcome to the forum @Hsdgug!

If you go to the Spacedock link the original post, then click on "Changelog", you will be able to download previous versions, which includes the one for 1.5.1.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using this great mod for a while now but I'm experiencing a problem more and more frequently : when I revert to my first stage to land it, the physics take a few second to load, and during that time the second stage tends to clip inside the first stage and make it go boom.

Does anyone have a solution for that ?

3 hours ago, lBoBl said:

I've been using this great mod for a while now but I'm experiencing a problem more and more frequently : when I revert to my first stage to land it, the physics take a few second to load, and during that time the second stage tends to clip inside the first stage and make it go boom.

Does anyone have a solution for that ?

I just increase the delay for saving the file

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, GKSP said:

Is it possible to use this mod without the recovery functionality?  For example, to drop a buoy on Laythe and RTB?

Yes.  The mod only checks if a vessel is landed.

What I would like to see, however, is a function to integrate NON-LANDED vessels (those in orbit) into the main save.

All that's needed, if I'm not mistaken, for this is to trigger the save-integrated function that makes the mod work, when you click a button ("save and jump to Main Mission").  OP, IS THIS POSSIBLE CURRENTLY?

Save files for craft include not just positional information (all that's needed for landed vessels) but also speed/trajectory info.  Just adding that to what's integrated should (probably) allow use of FMRS on non-main stages that attain orbit.

I really, really need this feature for when two or more of my craft end up attaining orbit separately.  

Such as when air-dropping multiple rockets and flying them to orbit (dropping the 1st allows the plane to ascend to higher altitude/speed before dropping a 2nd), when co-launching multiple vessels destined for different orbits (that separate from each other before attaining orbit- such as if headed to different inclinations) on a single launch stage, or when launching certain Microwave Beamed Power vessels in KSP-Interstellar Extended (a special subcase of the multiple upper stage problem- except they may be destined for the SAME orbit.  The difference is, one Upper Stage may rely on beamed-power and take a more gradual trajectory at lower TWR to maximize use of the beamed power, while the other has no microwave receiver and ascends quickly to minimize gravity-losses and aero drag).

Alternatively to the last case, you may want to launch an upper stage with wings (that takes s gradual trajectory) and one without (ascends fast) on a single plane or upper stage.  Both are destined for orbit. 

Reasons for this including limited number of engines your CPU/GPU can handle operating in one instance (splitting into 2 vessels means you can have each batch of engines loaded at different times, not at once), limits to the size of planes you can build on a level 2 runway (you may push the max length for a plane with one 2nd stage, launched on back of a low-altitude carrier plane.  You don't want your wings to be too long on a supersonic plane if running FAR- long and sleek is desirable instead.  But if you just built the separate rocket into the plane, would need more wing area to operate effectively as a plane without stalling...), and limits to available Funds in career mode (although spaceplanes tend to be more reusable, and cheaper in the long run, they coat more upfront than a rocket...)

The CPU/GPU units are particularly relevant for me (plenty of RAM for the multiple save files of different stages before FMRS integrates them all, but my game seriously chugs if too many engines- particularly jet engines- are active at once...)

TLDR: The mod works for landing vessels anywhere, but we REALLY NEED the ability to integrate stages outside of an atmosphere, in orbit, into saves with the main vessel- for using multiple concurrent Upper Stages mainly, but also for air-dropping multiple small rockets.

Edited by Northstar1989