KSP 1.2.9 and 1.3: Localization Update Stationary Train Consist

Whirligig Girl

The Localization Update is a really big deal! Unless you speak english. In which case, it may seem like it's not very important. But nonetheless a lot of good work has been done by Squad's team to make KSP as multi-lingual as possible.

Pre-Release for the update will come on March 16th, and will be 1.2.9. 1.2.9 is the pre-release version of 1.3, which unless I'm mistaken will have the same feature list. So far we know of the following features:

• Localization
    • Keyboard layouts, Kerbal names, text, UI, KSPedia, and part textures.
    • Japanese
    • Simplified Chinese
    • Russian
    • Spanish

tumblr_inline_ojqvsyg9R81rr2wit_540.png

tumblr_inline_oinw5aa9WL1rr2wit_540.png

• Struts
    • Both sides of the strut can be moved now
    • New model
  • Something big, apparently. Who knows what.
    • inb4 it's just "the t1 runway is flat now." :P 
  • Terrain fix?
    • Not sure what this is, just saw it in the last devnote.
  • Fix for the misaligned runway.
  • Some fix for the flagpole outside the Astronaut Complex.
  • Heat shields darken correctly.
Edited by GregroxMun

10 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

There are other things to be hyped about in 1.3.

ZOMFG R WE GETTING SUPER SECRET FEATURE?!?!?!?!?!?

Totally hyped. 

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

Four languages.
OF course it's a lot of work, and I appreciate it, but I'll stick to English because mine is not on the list.

To be fair this opens the door for more, and especially for fan-created language packs.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

If an easy way to add more languages will exist, then I'm in.

As far as the graphical elements are concerned you may want to stick to English (E: Although I'll probably be able to switch my own graphical elements to Russian! Sweet....) but for pure text I'm pretty confident that KSP will be easily modifiable for additional languages.

Although that begs the question, how to handle part descriptions and such? I would assume KSP would ship another set of cfg files for another language. Mod authors could then simply use ModuleManager to alter that for a new language, along with whatever text file is used for the GUI...

Yeah, I'm curious to see how this is implemented (and how it might mess with Module Manager).

Edited by regex

29 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

21 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Such as?

The only things that would get me hyped would be:

> No more memory leaks and stuttering and other bugs and an SAS that works again.

> Graphics overhaul

> Rocket part overhaul

> Career mode overhaul

If you're a non-English speaker, ok, good news for you.  For me, it's a big yawn, sorry.

32 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

If you're talking about the as-yet unannounced thing, it's hard to get so hyped for something that has not been announced. At least, not after something of a disappointing announcement. Yes, I'm all for the contest and the localization is terrific, but the former has no bearing on the game features and the latter was no secret.

A disappointing announcement is like a hole in the boiler of the Hype Train. So y'all gotta handle this better.

18 minutes ago, regex said:

To be fair this opens the door for more, and especially for fan-created language packs.

Backwards spanish and Klingonese (with support for the plqaD characters, of course), please. :P

15 minutes ago, Laguna said:

The only thing that would get me hyped would be a

R O A D M A P
O A D M A P R
A D M A P R O
D M A P R O A
M A P R O A D
A P R O A D M
P R O A D M A

Edited by regex

43 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Such as?

Read the KSP Weekly's.

Two I know have been mentioned are Runways and terrain Seams. Just to name two.

MM should be fine. It may need some tweaks.

its completely moddable (that's been mentioned before) and anyone will be able to do their own mod language pack if they are so inclined.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not critical of the KSP dev team and never really have been.... but you can't expect people to be really excited about bug fixes. I've been active in gaming communities online for a good 15+ years now, and this is just a basic fact. "Don't hype bug fixes" is basically a rule of the internet.

I mean, look though, I'm happy I won't have to quicksave my rover every 3 minutes for fear that it will crash into an invisible wall and explode into tiny pieces, but I'm not jumping for joy; this is just a minimal expectation for how the game should work. I play it anyway because I love it, and I know that the dev team is at least partially composed of people who have spent a lot of their free time as modders; I'm not expecting KSP to be bug-free. 

That said, major updates usually just cause me to restart my career, and the way I play the game is usually so heavily modded for me anyway, that the biggest news for me would be if the game didn't leak memory and crash on scene changes once an hour. Less mods usually makes it stay alive longer, but if I open the VAB and just walk away for a while, I expect to come back to a crashed KSP. With a 1 year old kid at home, this is a big issue for me. 

Anyway, keep pushing KSP forward, and speaking for myself, I'm happy to patiently wait for future releases.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

OMFG We're totally getting multiplayer virtual reality with an infinite procedural universe and aliens. And stock life support. Maybe. 

9 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

That said, major updates usually just cause me to restart my career, and the way I play the game is usually so heavily modded for me anyway, that the biggest news for me would be if the game didn't leak memory and crash on scene changes once an hour. Less mods usually makes it stay alive longer, but if I open the VAB and just walk away for a while, I expect to come back to a crashed KSP.

To be fair that is more an issue with mods leaking memory.  I run a modded install and can play literally for hours, as in 8 or more hours straight, without crashing.