How will kids learn the names of over 100 planets?

Spaceception

So... Learning the names of 111 (112 if Planet 9 exists) planets, how would kids learn the names of them? Would only the biggest and most important bodies be taught? And how would they be memorized? My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pumpkins, or some variant is used, but how would something similar apply with over 100 objects to learn?

And this obviously assumes all bodies get made into planets, including the Moons (For some reason), it's just a thought experiment.

Also, I don't really feel this belongs in the sci/space thread, but it the mods feel it does, go ahead and move it. :)

Obligatory video

Discuss. :)

Edited by Spaceception

I think it would be stupid to change the definition just so Pluto could become a planet again. One of their reasoning behind it was that Pluto was beautiful. I truly don't think that's enough. First, that's an opinion. Second, people could say"this asteroid is pretty. We need to call it a planet." But if they did, I think only the largest ones would be required to memorize. Of similar context, the asteroid belt. There are a lot out there, but if someone knows one by name it is most likely Ceres. 

Edited by munlander1

There are over 100 countries in this world (196 at last count, or 195 if you exclude Taiwan). Can you name all of them? 7 out of 10 people I talk to have never heard of the Republic of Georgia, as a 'for instance'. Hell, most of the school kids these days can't even name all 50 states let alone the capitals of each state ... that used to be a requirement (here in the US). Memorizing the names of 100+ planets? Ha! Not going to happen.

It will doubtlessly be that +2 bonus points question on the 2024 science final. Of course, there is no guarantee that will happen, as making the definition of "planet" so broad would make the term meaningless. There is an immense difference between these planetoids, and "real" planets. 

( prolly the same way anyone can learn 100 words from a dictionnary ? )

(think about the number of caracter in the for exemple, naruto, dragonball series ... well more than hundred, and's there many people that remind the names via the story and background)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
make an anime with "personnified" planet for example that talk to each others, make them caracters in a story, then another story

6 hours ago, munlander1 said:

One of their reasoning behind it was that Pluto was beautiful. I truly don't think that's enough.

I think if we were going to go down the route of classifying objects based on subjective feelings it's only proper to hold off until we can ask Pluto how it identifies itself.

The phone ring:

- Hey Saturn here, sup' Mars
-  Well i feel a bit shy and red today, venus is watching me, and i want to offer her a wedding ring but she's like a diamond
-  Well  give a call to jupiter it might have some large vapourous thought
- I was thinking about asking pluto, but i m kinda worried it gave me a radioactive plutonium advice on the question
etc.

Jupiter: i"m a poor lone done planet, yep i feel like lost in the smog ^^

Sun (yelling out to keppler): hey you won't believe pals ... today i grabbed a cold ^^

[insert weird draws and don't argue with stupid kind of stuff]

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
ps as pxi you can use colour chart also and localized trait as well as sound recorded long ago and emo related field()

1 hour ago, pxi said:

I think if we were going to go down the route of classifying objects based on subjective feelings it's only proper to hold off until we can ask Pluto how it identifies itself.

Well, we have been doctoring definitions to make it fit our system already. Why not throw this in too? The whole orbit clearing thing was a blatant exercise of having your definitions fit the desired outcome.

I feel that a system with hundreds of planets does much more justice to the scale, complexity and variety of the solar system. We get to see many more gradients and subtleties and most of the stories become much more compelling. Jupiter is nice and all, but having Ceres and Vesta illustrate that the huge planet is messing things up in varying degrees, yet always thoroughly makes for a much more compelling story :)

4 hours ago, Camacha said:

Well, we have been doctoring definitions to make it fit our system already. Why not throw this in too? The whole orbit clearing thing was a blatant exercise of having your definitions fit the desired outcome.

I'll have to take your word for it, I really didn't invest myself in the controversy when Pluto was demoted.  Really all I care about is that however it is defined, it's something that can be applied rigorously.

4 hours ago, Camacha said:

I feel that a system with hundreds of planets does much more justice to the scale, complexity and variety of the solar system. We get to see many more gradients and subtleties and most of the stories become much more compelling. Jupiter is nice and all, but having Ceres and Vesta illustrate that the huge planet is messing things up in varying degrees, yet always thoroughly makes for a much more compelling story :)

Believe me, my inner Discordian would love to see Eris promoted to planet status.  Regardless though, I tend towards thinking that the whole story is pretty compelling any which way you decide to draw the borders. :)

Well, it's pretty obvious that we wouldn't, but could you guys write something like My Very Educated Mother.... But for all 100 odd planets? Moons can be switched for convenience if they're around the same planet.

Just for fun, if you want to.

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Well, it's pretty obvious that we wouldn't, but could you guys write something like My Very Educated Mother.... But for all 100 odd planets? Moons can be switched for convenience if they're around the same planet.

Do you have the full list?

If you strung two of these together, you'd have enough words to enter the localization release writing contest.

On 3/3/2017 at 11:52 PM, pxi said:

Did you just assume Pluto's gender?

I think this entire debate comes from the root problem of how stupid the development of what we call planets has been like. Iirc, since it was essentially originally "excrements in the sky that isn't the sun," we've been kinda trying to fix it ever since then. Like CGPGrey, we should classify our solar system as having 1 star, four terrestrial planets, four gas giants, an asteroid belt, and a kuiper belt. Don't even bother giving Pluto the "dwarf planet" status, as it gives people hope that the little hunk of ice can be classified as a planet, despite how wrong that is.

Side note: Rename Uranus, please.

6 hours ago, Topham said:

Side note: Rename Uranus, please.

Just call it the original Greek name, Ouranos.

I feel as this definition, instead of being too vague, is too welcoming. I'm all in favor of Pluto, Eris, Makemake, and 2007 OR10 becoming planets, but in order to allow rogue planets, this definition now includes every single round object in our solar system. Maybe something more specific like this:

A planet is a celestial body that is...

A.) Too small to sustain atomic fusion.

B.) Rounded by its own gravity.

C.) Either orbiting a star or floating free in space.

D.) Not orbiting any object that meets criteria A, B, and C. Otherwise it is a MOON.

EDIT: I can also remember about half the objects that meet the new definition. Still have a long ways to go....

Edited by ProtoJeb21

58 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Uranus jokes never get old. Maybe it's because I have the maturity of a five year old.

Uranus is funny~

4 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Just call it the original Greek name, Ouranos.

I feel as this definition, instead of being too vague, is too welcoming. I'm all in favor of Pluto, Eris, Makemake, and 2007 OR10 becoming planets, but in order to allow rogue planets, this definition now includes every single round object in our solar system. Maybe something more specific like this:

A planet is a celestial body that is...

A.) Too small to sustain atomic fusion.

B.) Rounded by its own gravity.

C.) Either orbiting a star or floating free in space.

D.) Not orbiting any object that meets criteria A, B, and C. Otherwise it is a MOON.

EDIT: I can also remember about half the objects that meet the new definition. Still have a long ways to go....

You're on the right track, but isn't even Pluto big enough to be rounded by its own gravity? Last I remember it's a fairly round body. Like me!

20 minutes ago, Topham said:

Uranus is funny~

You're on the right track, but isn't even Pluto big enough to be rounded by its own gravity? Last I remember it's a fairly round body. Like me!

I am a Pluto supporter. This definition gives it planet status without making several dozen moons planets as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.