How will kids learn the names of over 100 planets?

Spaceception

On 03.03.2017 at 10:27 PM, Spaceception said:

Learning the names of 111 (112 if Planet 9 exists) planets, how would kids learn the names of them?

Just learning the Ancient Greek mythology they will learn even yet unknown ones. Plus 10-20 of non-Greek names.

On 03.03.2017 at 11:21 PM, LordFerret said:

There are over 100 countries in this world (196 at last count, or 195 if you exclude Taiwan). Can you name all of them?

Of course, except 5..10 of them like "(...) and (...) Islands".

P.S.
They can define Pluto as "honorary planet".

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I am a Pluto supporter.

We're done here, I can't speak with your kind!

I see what you mean, but there would still be too many bodies that'd fit in that definition than I'd be comfortable with. Aren't there a few bodies in the kuiper belt even bigger than Pluto?

Design a collectable card game in which each planet gets its own card. Problem solved.

Seriously - kids can memorise vast quantities of complete gibberish if it isn't something they're told they have to do. For example, I swear my 8 year old nephew knows the name, special attacks and probably parentage, notable battles and personal life story of every Pokémon out there.

Edited by KSK

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, LetsGoToMars! said:

It will doubtlessly be that +2 bonus points question on the 2024 science final. Of course, there is no guarantee that will happen, as making the definition of "planet" so broad would make the term meaningless. There is an immense difference between these planetoids, and "real" planets. 

Under the same logic the definition of asteroid is too broad, considering it has everything from bodies in hydrostatic equilibrium hundreds of kilometers across to bodies the size of a fist... Is "asteroid" meaningless? Why should "planet" be any different? Heck, "moon" is just as meaningless as "asteroid", why should "planet" be special?

Of course, that's not an argument for changing the definition, but saying that it would be too broad as to be meaningless isn't a good argument against it, as a planet could be defined as a body in hydrostatic equilibrium (perhaps disregarding its status as orbiting another planet, as double planets are a possibility), which would have more meaning than "asteroid" and "moon," as it would distinguish a planet from other objects to a larger degree than both of those terms. So, we can either make Ceres not an asteroid, and change the definition of "asteroid" and "moon" to be more meaningful while adding special categories for moons and asteroids in hydrostatic equilibrium, or we just leave the mess where it is.

"Body in hydrostatic equilibrium but is not fusing elements at its core" is a mouthful, so we could just shorten it to planet... or come up with something new entirely that includes planets and dwarf planets.

On to the topic at hand:

Considering there are kids who memorize dozens, or even more, digits of Pi, I don't think it's all that hard to just memorize them, if the kid wanted to. But it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal in science class at all. We don't memorize the names of all of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, so...?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, munlander1 said:

Those are outliners.

Considering that many students are required to memorize quite a few different things of various lengths, it's very possible for the majority to memorize a large number of... well, almost anything. They memorize thousands of words due to simply knowing how to speak/write/read English.

The reason those kids are outliers is because students are only required to learn a few digits of Pi by the curriculum. But many students have to memorize many other things, otherwise they simply wouldn't pass their finals. Everything from vocab words to grammar rules to formulas to what happened in 1066 and much more. Heck, history finals have a boat load of names, people, places, battles, and dates. Yet many kids are able to pass those tests.

They're outliers in the sense that they have chosen to memorize those digits. Not so much in their capability (unless they memorize hundreds...) to memorize them.

On 04/03/2017 at 11:24 PM, Nuke said:

why are schools still teaching kids to memorize long lists of trivial data? seriously this stuff is only useful when jeopardy comes on.

Is that not true for pretty much anything beyond the Moon?

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Topham said:

Side note: Rename Uranus, please.

I wouldn't rename it, I would call it "Ouranos"

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:30 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

I feel as this definition, instead of being too vague, is too welcoming. I'm all in favor of Pluto, Eris, Makemake, and 2007 OR10 becoming planets, but in order to allow rogue planets, this definition now includes every single round object in our solar system. Maybe something more specific like this:

A planet is a celestial body that is...

A.) Too small to sustain atomic fusion.

B.) Rounded by its own gravity.

C.) Either orbiting a star or floating free in space.

D.) Not orbiting any object that meets criteria A, B, and C. Otherwise it is a MOON.

EDIT: I can also remember about half the objects that meet the new definition. Still have a long ways to go....

What about double planets? It could be something like "Any object with more then about 1/80th the mass of the object it is orbiting can be considered a planet" or something about a barycenter being outside the crust of the larger body.

Edited by Adstriduum

Memorize hundreds?! You sure have a lot more fate in future kids than I do...

Go around asking kids/teens the names of the solar system planets today, and see what you get. Heck, ask ADULTS and they'll get it wrong... and if they happen to name them all, they'll add Pluto as well, completely ignorant of what happened to it 10 years ago. :D 

well uranus is like china town 笑  (里里 女性 女子) 我们.... but it's interesting i guess ... mordor /bonk dead moroz and etc ... series ... no one remind why in the first place it's just there now, there so much of thoose intercrossed phonetic stuff ... and sometime the various meaning are just weird

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
lili nuke thing n uzi ...

22 hours ago, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Memorize hundreds?! You sure have a lot more fate in future kids than I do...

Go around asking kids/teens the names of the solar system planets today, and see what you get. Heck, ask ADULTS and they'll get it wrong... and if they happen to name them all, they'll add Pluto as well, completely ignorant of what happened to it 10 years ago. :D 

Yeah... It's scary.

34 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

Yeah... It's scary.

Not really. It has no real consequence in day to day life, at least for now. Once people start living there, then it'll start to be more "important" in the public perception. People can memorize things they think are important. They're adress, kids names, phone number (maybe not...?), politicians, the town/city they live in, the names of corporations, streets, other towns nearby, tv shows, friends names, youtubers, books, authors, actors, movies, video games, and so on. It's just not important to memorize a boat load, or less, of astronomical objects, for now. 

17 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Not really. It has no real consequence in day to day life, at least for now. Once people start living there, then it'll start to be more "important" in the public perception. People can memorize things they think are important. They're adress, kids names, phone number (maybe not...?), politicians, the town/city they live in, the names of corporations, streets, other towns nearby, tv shows, friends names, youtubers, books, authors, actors, movies, video games, and so on. It's just not important to memorize a boat load, or less, of astronomical objects, for now. 

What I ment by that was the fact that some people can't tell you what the fith major planet from the sun is. Hell I've even met people who think the Earth goes around the moon.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why at all should anybody keep company with a person not able to learn just 100 planet names?

What about football players? Is that necessary too? Spices? Insects? People in the credits of Iron Man 3?

Why planets, in particular, to be most important? I mean, they're important to US, but we're space geeks. Why should the other 99.9% of the world conform?

23 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

What I ment by that was the fact that some people can't tell you what the fith major planet from the sun is. Hell I've even met people who think the Earth goes around the moon.

...which has no real consequence in real life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.