How will kids learn the names of over 100 planets?

Spaceception

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

What about football players? Is that necessary too? Spices? Insects? People in the credits of Iron Man 3?

Why planets, in particular, to be most important? I mean, they're important to US, but we're space geeks. Why should the other 99.9% of the world conform?

I'm glad that you agree with me, but in more words. :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 7:28 AM, Topham said:

Side note: Rename Uranus, please.

Uranus is the only planet whose name comes from the greek mythology.

This is annoying on multiple levels:

1- all other planets are named after figures in the roman mythology, which makes Uranus the only exception

2- if you have to make an exception, why choose the worst name? it's like my name was "John Hurt" and I decided to change it to "Butt Hurt"

3- the roman analogue of Uranus is either "Caelus" or "Caelum" which is a pretty cool name, plus it actually means "sky" (the same color as the planet) in most latin languages (italian, spanish and french) versus "Uranus" that means sky only in greek (as far as I know) and we all know what the meaning in english is

------------

and to reply to the OP

How will kids learn the names of over 100 planets?

the same way they learn the names of over 190 countries we have on earth

hint: they won't

Edited by Sigma88

I memorize the planet names by making personification of them, so I'll remember venus as a little cute tsundere anime girl instead of cloudy ball of rock (and damn, it's effective) :)

Edited by ARS

19 minutes ago, cantab said:

No. Zeus - Jupiter. Cronus, Zeus's daddy - Saturn. Uranus, Cronus's daddy - Caelus. Poseidon, Zeus's brother - Neptune. Hades, Zeus's brother - Pluto.

Ah. Duh.

That's what I get for commenting before I've eaten.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:47 PM, KSK said:

Design a collectable card game in which each planet gets its own card. Problem solved.

Seriously - kids can memorise vast quantities of complete gibberish if it isn't something they're told they have to do. For example, I swear my 8 year old nephew knows the name, special attacks and probably parentage, notable battles and personal life story of every Pokémon out there.

I know probably over 80 of these:

Image result for list of olls and plls

Because I use them. Most people don't really have a use for knowing the names of all the space rocks, though, so I don't see a benefit to having kids memorize it. Solar system geography may come in handy when mass commercialization of space happens (probably something to do with asteroid mining) and more people start being actively involved in space travel. At that point it doesn't matter what kind of object anything is if it's something you can stand on, it will be useful for people to know its name because there will be people and machines going there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.