[1.3.0->1.5.*] Space Opera

Well, I've had 0.9 (Release Candidate to use poncy terms) out for a bit, and no-one seems to have complained, so it's time to call this a release.

This mod started as a way of not-quite-cheating-outright.  Basically, for when most people would have been sane and just enabled the infinite fuel, I added these parts (or actually, a primitive early version of them) and still flew, and checked fuel and all that, they were just absurdly overpowered.  In fact, it started with that RSS-start-on-Mars mod.  Because as hard as launching from Earth, landing on Mars, taking off again, returning to Earth is.  It pales to the horror of doing it the other way around.  And hell, MARTIANS.

But then the parts just sat there for ages.  But then I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to do silly Sci-Fi grade stuff?".  So I merged the old idea with some new waffle, and then added stuff, and noticed existing mods for Alcubierre drives (thanks @RoverDude) and added warp drives.  I added a silly chain of resource convertion, so craft needed some work to function.  And here we are.  Space Opera.

Available for download from https://spacedock.info/mod/1137/Space Opera
Or CKAN.

The mod contains the parts and resources to enable both sub-light drives and super-light drives. Plus a power generator you will want to use if you're going to use the other bits.

For sub-light, the engines (and RCS) run off a resource called Handwavium;

ZGqFRsr.pngVJZfQQ9.pngp1PmZkp.png

Sublight drives are either the long "interplanetary" drive (many G, be careful) or the "planetary" drive, which has a lower thrust and can be carefully throttled for things like landings.  RCS is available in 3 profiles and 3 sizes.

Handwavium can be either a stored resource for short journeys (aka, to another planet and back) or generated from TaurusFecalium, via a converter;

6ilqKQ5.png

For super-light drives, you will need to grab Rovrdude's Alcubierre drive.  You can obviously just use his (which are smaller, so fit those pesky little craft), or use the drives from this mod, which are larger, faster, and more annoying.  :-)

The hyperdrives come in two flavours (so far).  Both use two outriggers that I will not call nacelles.  The faster, beefier one, has fixed n\outriggers, while the slightly slower one extends the outriggers when running.

dZjctie.gifcIJnLrg.png

Now, to get the warp drives to work, you'll need some electricity and polarity field.  

You'll need some Negative matter to generate that polarity field.

And some Quantum flux to generate the negative matter.  

Which you'll get from the warp core.

Converters all provided.

I have vague hopes of making a module that allows a part to produce a "field" to turn off acceleration (G) effects for kerbanauts.  Until that distant day when inertial field generators work, I advise disabling the advanced tweak feature of G effects when using this mod.

This mod now has a Kottobos review :)

Continued from dev thread; 

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

Someone recently brought up that EM Drive, and while I know there's plenty mods doing one, I thought I should add one in using the real world figures, on the assumption it doesn't all turn out to be experimental error (which is what my money's on).

So, full size, full thrust, full power use (on the assumption an 1 EC = 1 KJ).  The power use is actually quite reasonable at max 80W.  aka, 0.08EC/sec, especially with KSP solar cells, that's an easy appetite to satisfy.  The 29 microNewtons isn't a heap of thrust.  But if you watch for long enough, you'll see your orbit adjusting.

And it's in "Space Opera", because, well, I'll believe it when it actually does something real.  :-)

wfYFR7Q.png

Actqg8Q.png

It'll be in 1.0, shortly.

4 hours ago, Mapedit said:

Is there any way to make fuels (Handwavium in particular) compatible with fuel switch mods like B9 or Firespitter Core? I've been trying but to no avail.

I'm honestly not sure.  I would have thought some MM config would have done the trick.  They're not standard fuels, and not really expected to be switchable.  But I can't really claim "that'd make it like cheating", because, well, the whole mod.

Firespitter Core switcher was mostly just a texture replacer I thought.  Or, I've only ever used it as a texture replacer.  I'll have a look in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

1.1 is released.  It has some minor fixups.  Names of the short Eludium tanks now properly reflects sizes (aka, removed duplicate naming).  Added missing manufacturer "Beagleworks".  Fixed the Radio Frequency Resonant Cavity Device by adding a generated propellant "trapped waves".  I've also confirmed that there is thrust coming from the device, so I might eventually remove the intentional typo in description.

3 hours ago, Probus said:

This looks really cool!  Can't wait to try it.

So is the Mars mod you were talking about this one:

Yes. I think (from memory) there's two versions, little green men from Mars. And little green men from Duna. Duna is obviously easy mode. :)

4 hours ago, King Something said:

It's a fantastic mod, although it could definitely use 4-way and 5-way RCS nozzles. Maybe also engines that run on yakumoyukarium?

The four way was always going to be part of it, but somewhere along the way, it got left behind. But seriously, you don't need a five way. 

• 8 months later...

Non denominational End of Year festive season message.

The last couple of months have been a bit of a mad house for me iRL.

I've been on Jury Duty with a long case that made me appreciate jury service more, but also would rather have skipped.  My 20 year old cat has passed away, but me and my wife and I have embarked on bringing up a puppy and kitten (and I'd like to sleep again now).  We had a long standing plan on replacing the carpets when the old cat passed, and so I then moved all our furniture off the carpet, had it replaced, and am slowly (cos I'm now broken from the initial carpet moving) moving stuff back to where it belongs.  My mother in law had a stroke and passed away.  Which was heaps of not-fun.

So, KSP things have been on hold for a bit.  Some time soon, I'm hoping for a return to normality, and a subsequent increase in time available for modding and maybe even playing KSP.  In particular, I have a few outstanding parts to complete* on the NAR MEM before I move to looking at better integration with other mods like BDB.  I need to go through some configs, esp for Space Opera and check heat issues for the converters, 'cos they all became different.  I have some test config that is currently crap, but working to get Rovers updated to optionally use KSP Wheels.  and so on.

But, for the next few days, I'm away from all this computer stuff me thinks.  Gonna search out air-conditioning or open air, breezy locations, drink some beverages, and eat some foods.  And sleep.  Perchance to dream, but I don't care, SLEEP!!!!  I recommend others do similar activities.  If you're north of the equator, maybe look for heating instead of cooling.  ;-)

Back in a few days.

* Complete being, nothing's horribly wrong with it, no parts are untextured, and it's "releasable".  Not equivalent to Finished.

• 1 month later...

OK, it's been pointed out that for games where resource gathering is a thing, there's no process to get resources in situ, or refine, etc.  So, I'll be looking at adding some extra parts for mining and refining.  Some resources will be extremely rare (eg: Eludium, duh) and some will be refinable with significant effort just from regular ore.  I'll definitely need to add a scoop, for recovering Taurus Fecalium from gas giant atmospheres (thanks @JadeOfMaar).

So, rough planning, which will change (I've never even really used the mining in stock, let alone modded resources etc);

Canium Fecalium Gas Giant Scoop, and matching Taurus Fecalium converter

Eludium extractor for Ore.  Not sure how getting stuff from Ore works, but definitely want this to be extra rare.

Phlebotium I'd like to be something you can extract from Ore as well.  But less rare that Eludium.  

DiFranciumMonoAbsurdiumCrystal is clearly synthetic, and made from Francium (breeder reactor?) and Absurdium.  I haven't decided how Absurdium should be found yet.  It would be an oddity though, as it's required primarily for the warp drives.

I say this, but I have no idea when I'll have the time.  :D  But writing it down here, makes it something more concrete to aim for.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.