[1.12.x] Ablative-Airbrake [v1.0.3]

Skalou

@SkalouWhat stock texture does this mod use?? Since I have Ven's Stock Revamp and its pruner used it would be helpful to know which ones to enable again for this to work.

NVM, found it in the config file, it's Squad/Parts/Aero/HeatShield/heatshield and Squad/Parts/Aero/airbrake/Airbrake if anyone wants to know

Great idea by the way, good looking too!

Edited by MaxZhao

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the idea of this, how hard would it be to use a different texture than the stock?  Something black to fit in with some of the landing leg and heat shield options in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion would be slick.

On 26/06/2017 at 11:26 AM, sjbuggs said:

Love the idea of this, how hard would it be to use a different texture than the stock?  Something black to fit in with some of the landing leg and heat shield options in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion would be slick.

It's not currently planned, maybe one day :)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ablative-Airbrake v0.3.0 still works for KSP version 1.7 and should work for many  future versions ;)
Thanks for reporting here a new working (or not) ksp version.

Edited by Skalou

14 hours ago, Skalou said:

Ablative-Airbrake v0.3.0 still works for KSP version 1.7 and should work for many  future versions ;)
Thanks for reporting here a new working (or not) ksp version.

I discovered your mod after upgrading to 1.7, so I don't know if this was the case before. The ablator level does not subside or go down during re-entry into Kerbin.

Infinite ablator does make the it easier to play the game, but it sorta feel like cheating. Haven't tested on Eve or ultra-speed re-entry into Kerbin, but normal 2,300 m/s atmospheric re-entries do not deplete the ablator in these airbrakes.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else.

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this again, this mod is definitely a one-trick pony but it's a very useful trick. I've been battling with large booster recovery in a 2.5x game, and this will definitely help. But that's not all, this airbrake is useful for pretty much any atmospheric recovery regardless of size, when I had it before I almost always used it as I found that properly placed they not only significantly increase braking force, but they also add considerable stability in most cases, you could turn SAS off and vehicles would still track dead retrograde. And with the increased braking force you can use higher reentry periapses, making the whole process less exciting, something that's good when you're talking about falling at mach 15.

And it's just a nice looking and well-made part. Thanks for keeping this working.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:25 AM, 3PoundsOfFlax said:

I discovered your mod after upgrading to 1.7, so I don't know if this was the case before. The ablator level does not subside or go down during re-entry into Kerbin.

Infinite ablator does make the it easier to play the game, but it sorta feel like cheating. Haven't tested on Eve or ultra-speed re-entry into Kerbin, but normal 2,300 m/s atmospheric re-entries do not deplete the ablator in these airbrakes.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else.

Hello,  i tried to tune it so it starts to deplete the ablator a bit higher (in temperature) but then a bit faster than normal ablator (for SSTO on ascent), I tried it on Eve, laythe etc... (also Kerbin but it's not the main goal as it's easier)

You can also change how much ablator u put on in the hangar, even at zero it will resist a bit more than the classic airbrake but will still be heavier and more expensive, it's also unlockable late in the tech-tree.

Also, like the other parts it depends WHERE you put it on the ship, if it's behind the shock cone generated by other parts (of a heatshild for example) then it will heat a lot less.

For the balance or idea I'm open to suggest :wink:

P.S: this mod still works for the KSP version 1.7.3

Edited by Skalou

• 6 months later...

Hello, Still not dead !

Even better, a new version 1.0.0 is available with A dark version!
at least compatible up to KSP v1.9.1

Check the online changelog for more details.

This part is now localized, Translators are welcome for untranslated languages ! (for now only in English and French)

Enjoy  :)

utwcQIY.png

Edited by Skalou

@Skalou @LisiasThe dark variant modifies the weight and cost of the part.  This is currently Kraken bait for TweakScale.  Changing either of these in part variants is a no-no for use with TweakScale.  TweakScale currently just can't handle scaling variants when the cost or mass are modified as part of the stock variant system.  TweakScale logs an error that the ablative-airbrake fails its sanity checks during load but doesn't fully disable TweakScale on this part.

Just adding the part to a craft throws exceptions. Two different scaling sliders appear in the PAW menu, but neither are correct for the free_square type. Trying to change one of the TweakScale sliders on this part (in either variant) causes the part to disappear in the VAB for me and more exceptions get thrown.  Tested in a new clean install of 1.9.1 with just Ablative AIrbrakes, TweakScale and ModuleManager. 

To deal with the issue I just deleted the mass and cost changes in the variant definition and it works fine with no errors.

I6r6fm8.jpg

Edited by Tonka Crash

34 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Skalou @LisiasThe dark variant modifies the weight and cost of the part.  This is currently Kraken bait for TweakScale.  Changing either of these in part variants is a no-no for use with TweakScale.  TweakScale currently just can't handle scaling variants when the cost or mass are modified as part of the stock variant system.  TweakScale logs an error that the ablative-airbrake fails its sanity checks during load but doesn't fully disable TweakScale on this part.

Just adding the part to a craft throws exceptions. Two different scaling sliders appear in the PAW menu, but neither are correct for the free_square type. Trying to change one of the TweakScale sliders on this part (in either variant) causes the part to disappear in the VAB for me and more exceptions get thrown.  Tested in a new clean install of 1.9.1 with just Ablative AIrbrakes, TweakScale and ModuleManager. 

To deal with the issue I just deleted the mass and cost changes in the variant definition and it works fine with no errors.

Thank you for the report , strange bug as this is a stock feature, can you report it to the tweakscale mod?
In the mean time, i made an updated compatibility patch for tweakscale, it seems to work, can you replace it with it and check on your side too please?

// Module Manager patch for "Ablative-Airbrake" to be compatible with "TweakScale".
// Needs the mod "Module Manager" to work.
//Author:Marcelo Silveira, Skalou

@PART[AblativeAirbrake]:FOR[Ablative-Airbrake]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = free_square
	}
// Remove cost and mass modifier for part variants when TweakScale is installed because of bugs.
	@MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
	{
	@VARIANT,*
	{
	-cost = dummy
	-mass = dummy
	}
	}
}

19 minutes ago, Skalou said:

Thank you for the report , strange bug as this is a stock feature, can you report it to the tweakscale mod?
In the mean time, i made an updated compatibility patch for tweakscale, it seems to work, can you replace it with it and check on your side too please?

The modified TweakScale patch works fine, thanks. Lisias, that maintains TweakScale, is aware of the issue with part variants. I pinged him above when I posted my bug report here. It's been discussed in his thread quite a bit, so I knew what to look when I ran across the bug.

11 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

The modified TweakScale patch works fine, thanks. Lisias, that maintains TweakScale, is aware of the issue with part variants. I pinged him above when I posted my bug report here. It's been discussed in his thread quite a bit, so I knew what to look when I ran across the bug.

Ok, as this is really a TweakScale specific bug, @Lisias could add a patch like this for the checking all the parts until this bug is fixed.
I will integrated this patch in the meantime  however.

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.