Skalou

[1.x.x] Ablative-Airbrake [v0.3.0] (7 october 2017)

@SkalouWhat stock texture does this mod use?? Since I have Ven's Stock Revamp and its pruner used it would be helpful to know which ones to enable again for this to work.

NVM, found it in the config file, it's Squad/Parts/Aero/HeatShield/heatshield and Squad/Parts/Aero/airbrake/Airbrake if anyone wants to know

Great idea by the way, good looking too!

Edited by MaxZhao

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's now in CKAN

Cool! :cool: ,thank you again

Works with KSP v1.3.0 (but not translated)

Edited by Skalou

Love the idea of this, how hard would it be to use a different texture than the stock?  Something black to fit in with some of the landing leg and heat shield options in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion would be slick.

On 26/06/2017 at 11:26 AM, sjbuggs said:

Love the idea of this, how hard would it be to use a different texture than the stock?  Something black to fit in with some of the landing leg and heat shield options in the Kerbal Reusability Expansion would be slick.

It's not currently planned, maybe one day :)

This thread is NOT quite old. Please  DO NOT consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one. :P

v0.3.0 is out, works with KSP 1.3.1 (and previous)

This is so useful!! I need this for my heavy Mars missions.

I like this mod, I hop thats not dead!

Edited by Kolago

Na, it's still alive!

I can confirm this mod Ablative-Airbrake (v0.3.0) still works for KSP 1.4.x :)

On 3/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, Skalou said:

Na, it's still alive!

I can confirm this mod Ablative-Airbrake (v0.3.0) still works for KSP 1.4.x :)

Will it work on 1.7?

On 4/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, 3PoundsOfFlax said:

Will it work on 1.7?

Of course it will.

Posted (edited)

Ablative-Airbrake v0.3.0 still works for KSP version 1.7 and should work for many  future versions ;)
Thanks for reporting here a new working (or not) ksp version.

Edited by Skalou

14 hours ago, Skalou said:

Ablative-Airbrake v0.3.0 still works for KSP version 1.7 and should work for many  future versions ;)
Thanks for reporting here a new working (or not) ksp version.

I discovered your mod after upgrading to 1.7, so I don't know if this was the case before. The ablator level does not subside or go down during re-entry into Kerbin.

Infinite ablator does make the it easier to play the game, but it sorta feel like cheating. Haven't tested on Eve or ultra-speed re-entry into Kerbin, but normal 2,300 m/s atmospheric re-entries do not deplete the ablator in these airbrakes.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else.

Glad I found this again, this mod is definitely a one-trick pony but it's a very useful trick. I've been battling with large booster recovery in a 2.5x game, and this will definitely help. But that's not all, this airbrake is useful for pretty much any atmospheric recovery regardless of size, when I had it before I almost always used it as I found that properly placed they not only significantly increase braking force, but they also add considerable stability in most cases, you could turn SAS off and vehicles would still track dead retrograde. And with the increased braking force you can use higher reentry periapses, making the whole process less exciting, something that's good when you're talking about falling at mach 15.

And it's just a nice looking and well-made part. Thanks for keeping this working.