Almost unmodded KSP 1.2.2 x64 crashes X session while loading

My issue is basically identical to this one, but I decided to launch a new issue nevertheless since my version is 1.2.2 and I don't have an unmodded install (though it is almost umnodded, see lower).

When KSP is launched a black empty window appears but is replaced in a few seconds with a new window with the white squad monkey and loading bar and after everything is loaded, KSP runs. The original issue I linked describes one type of crash - right before the monkey window appears. I experience the same issue (see video of it here). However, I experience also another kind of crash - when the loading bar reaches the end and the game is supposed to kick in (but it crashes in the same way) - see video here. There is also a third phenomenon I experienced - right about the time the first type crash happens, the window manager crashes but manages to recover and restart and the game loads fine (no video of that, I'm really not filming all my startups).

Sometimes the game loads just fine, sometimes I experience the first type crash, sometimes I experience the second type crash and very very rarely I experience the third phenomenon. I'd say that the first type crash is the most common, the next in frequency is the fine loading of the game, the third is the second type crash and the third phenomenon is very very rare. I can't see any correlation with other stuff like running programs - it happens both right after system boot and when running a bunch of other programs like vscode, chrome, etc. Because of me being an idiot I forgot to store the logs. When this happens next time I'll save and publish the logs.

My KSP is basically unmodded with the exception of kOS where I'm programming some stuff in (and because of this it really drives me crazy since I have to restart the game a lot). And no, my modifications to kOS don't cause the crash because it both crashes and not crashes with the same stuff. It is a copy of a steam-installed game that I use for working on mods. I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 16.10 with gnome-shell 3.20.4, X server version 1.18.4, nVidia GeForce 940M with driver version 367.57, I have dual screen setup (as you could have seen in the videos). Ask me for any other config info you need to know (apart from the logs, I'll post them as soon as I get them).

I would appreciate any help, hint or trick to make it working consistently. Developing something with >50% of time crashing all the way to the login screen is really a hell.

EDIT: I experienced the first type crash again, the log is here: http://pastebin.com/tSB3u6AG

Edited by Dalgaim

Hi @Dalgaim, I am sorry to tell you but this is a bug in the Unity3D game engine sending bad window dimensions to the operating systems window manager, this occurs with Unity3D tutorial projects as well, that contain no KSP code or shaders, and selecting different render modes in the Unity3D editor doesn't change this (options are OpenGLcore first, OpenGL2 first, or auto).

Unity Technologies have been informed but no fix has been provided yet, the only 100% workaround I know of is to use the xfce window manager xfwm, which can handle the bad call.

There's more info here.

I'm using Cinnamon currently, and I leave KSP alone until it's finished loading, but even then it still crashes Cinnamon sometimes when I drag KSP.

Sorry I can't help any further with this, it's totally beyond Squads control.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.