What was your highest velocity ever achieved?

The Aziz

On 3/6/2017 at 3:23 PM, n.b.z. said:

I don't remember any numbers, but I'm sure I have never gone as fast as when trying to get into a Moho orbit for the first time.

The velocity at which I screamed past Moho was unbelievable.

31km/sec encounter with moho orbit vs retrograde moho orbit. 1x warp.

Non glitch: I sent a probe with an extremely low periapsis around the sun, I think it reached about 100km/s

Glitch: A Kerbal fell off a chair in a rover, hit his head on the ground (on Duna), and was subsequently flung across the universe at several times the speed of light. Just a normal Kerbal day.

Somebody with more intimate knowledge of the code can correct me if I'm wrong here. 

But I think this is a moot point.  We know you can hit insane speeds via the Kraken.  But recording them as a value is kinda pointless.  Assuming @SQUAD used an unsigned variable type that was not insanely huge, the value expressed on the navball may have actually rolled over to 0 a few times.   There would be a maximum speed you could achieve in the game before it exceeds it's capacity and starts over again.   So the max speed you could achieve is the maximum value the variable type can hold. 

Velocity is a floating point. If they use single precision it goes up to a 38-digit number, if they use double precision (more likely) it's a 300 digit number. Nobody's there yet.

In any case floating point doesn't usually rollover. Rather, some sort of exception gets thrown, and then you get either a game crash or one of the many 'kraken' bugs.

I'll have to see if I have the screenshot somewhere (it might have just been on the Nonameships server, in which case it's overwritten and gone by now because I take excessive numbers of screenshots), but back in a version which had no angular velocity limit (iirc), I was messing around with a funny trick that involved rotating a mk1 lander can using q (or e) until it ran out of electric charge and then going on EVA with a Kerbal. The Kerbal would invariably get shot off at a minimum of a few thousand c, often several orders of magnitude more. Once I got shot out so fast that my Kerbal was at the edge of the universe on the first frame after the slight pause that came from passing Kerbin's SOI boundry. I don't remember exactly what the number was but it was something you'd get from the limits of binary. Like 2,147...E or something like that. So that would imply something between 1x10^27m/s and 1x10^29m/s depending on what my framerate was at the time.

I have never repeated it, and I believe it is impossible now with angular velocity limits.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

• 4 weeks later...

Just today I got Kraken'd when my chutes opened for an Eve landing. The entire lander exploded, and the capsule was shot out of the universe at NaN m/s. When I tried to go EVA, the game crashed. :confused:

My fastest legit velocity was probably during a mission to get a Komet from the Kerbal Komets mod that had a periapsis of less than 1 million km around Kerbol. During the Kerbol flyby I reached something like 25-30 km/s 

My fastest reentry was a rescue mission after my first manned  mission to the Jool system, in which I landed on Bop... from a retrograde orbit around Jool. I rescued the Kerbals from a ridiculous orbit around Kerbol and the reentry speed was something like 9500 m/s and to this day I haven't been able to replicate it without the heat shield failing. I think the mission was in 1.0.4 

• 5 years later...

I managed to hit a speed of 14544389903006800000m/s in sandbox mode. I put 25 vector engines in one spot under a mk1 pod and the moment I loaded in to launch I went into the cheat menu and set my position waaaay out in space. For whatever reason, this glitches me to 48 billion times the speed of light

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.