Daytime Eclipse

Zerxal

Yep, that happens on Kerbin for every orbit of the Mun, since it's in a perfectly equatorial orbit and passes in front of the sun every time (not like on Earth, where the Moon's orbit is tipped a few degrees from the plane of the ecliptic). It's a pretty common occurrence.

Yeah not exactly news, the explanation's been on the wiki for at least as long as I've been playing (a few months):

Due to the Mun's non-inclined orbit, solar eclipses occur every time the Mun goes between the Sun and Kerbin. Due to graphic engine limitations, these solar eclipses currently do not make the sky black, or darken the land. However, solar panels will become blocked by the Mun in an eclipse and become useless for a short period of time.

Nice screenshot though.

4 hours ago, Damien_The_Unbeliever said:

I'd be more interested in a Night-time Eclipse. I mean, what would that even mean?

I hope you mean a Lunar Eclipse.  Unfortunately, the way the lighting works in the game currently, the moon does not get darkened in Kerbin's shadow from the view of Kerbin due to light rendering distances.  Rendering shadows out that far from the POV of Kerbin would be very taxing on the system, if not outright game crashing.  Pretty sure there is a way to compensate for that, as there are mods that do work shadows on other bodies, but the ones I have seen look very fake.  I'd as soon not bother with that.

54 minutes ago, Drethon said:

With two moons, it would be interesting to see the Mun eclipsing Minmus as seen from Kerbin.

You can hardly see Minmus from Kerbin. It is spottable though. Like just a few pixels wide. Don't forget your Sun glasses :cool:

I remember the first time that i launched a rocket to the Mun i got an eclipse and i thought it was so amazing as if it was my destiny. 

I never get tired of seeing them either. :)

I know you can see them quite easily from an equatorial orbit, but was idly wondering how often you would see them from a given point on the surface - are you guaranteed to see an eclipse every 6 days 2 hours (Mun's orbital period)? Or is there something a little more subtle going on?

On 3/6/2017 at 10:46 AM, Drethon said:

With two moons, it would be interesting to see the Mun eclipsing Minmus as seen from Kerbin.

Now that is a rare occurrence, and would actually be fun to see.  Guess it may be time to warm up the Time Warp Machine and set that up, watch it from KSC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.