[1.8.1 - 1.9.x] KerbalKomets - Add komets to your game!

Angelo Kerman

@Angel-125 I have confirmed that this mod has a problem with Kopernicus-powered asteroids, which means currently all planet mods will be left high and dry of komets. None have appeared for GPP in my game but they're raining down in a stock solar system. :) 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

25 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Angel-125 I have confirmed that this mod has a problem with Kopernicus-powered asteroids, which means currently all planet mods will be left high and dry of komets. None have appeared for GPP in my game but they're raining down in a stock solar system. :) 

Interesting, is there a specific mod that provides asteroids, or is it the base Kopernicus mod? It's interesting that there's a problem, I'm just using the stock asteroid. What does Kopernicus do differently?

@Angel-125 Kopernicus lets you write your own Asteroid {} nodes and create several asteroid belts as you like. If I felt like it I could (and did) have potatoes multiplying around Kerbin Gael as well as the star. Kerbol Star System has an asteroid belt for each of 4 or 5 of its stars. I've never loaded up KSS but I've sen its code to know they are there. I learned from Kopernicus' own asteroid examples and Galileo's own early config within GPP.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Angel-125 Kopernicus lets you write your own Asteroid {} nodes and create several asteroid belts as you like. If I felt like it I could (and did) have potatoes multiplying around Kerbin Gael as well as the star. Kerbol Star System has an asteroid belt for each of 4 or 5 of its stars. I've never loaded up KSS but I've sen its code to know they are there. I learned from Kopernicus' own asteroid examples and Galileo's own early config within GPP.

Hm. Well, that bites. I use Kopernicus in my career game, maybe there's a way to tap into Koperincus's asteroid spawner and turn asteroids into komets. If not, doesn't Kopernicus already have komets?

I think OPM uses Custom Asteroids to spawn it's asteroids, and Custom Asteroids's own default config adds it's own 'comets' in the form of eccentric orbit asteroids, without Kopernicus, so maybe a way to integrate with that mod would be cool.

8 hours ago, stk2008 said:

Awesome this might be why i see no komets.

I use opm and kopernicus so might explain my issues all along :)

I can confirm that in my career game, where I use Kopernicus, I have the same issue. Not sure how to fix it, but I'm looking into it.

3 hours ago, cratercracker said:

I got a small problem-

My game says that it cannot work on my version (i have 1.2.1) and that i need to use 1.2.2.!

Illuminati illuminated my game confirmed?

Yup, Kerbal Komets needs KSP 1.2.2.

10 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Is there a verison for 1.2.1? because i just totally forgot that there is 1.2.2 (facepalm)

i mean, this mod was created on 1.2.2 and it never existed on 1.2.1 so I think it would be safe to assume that no, there isn't a 1.2.1 version. Why not just update to 1.2.2? It's practically the same as 1.2.1 with only a few small fixes. 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

Also confirming:  Sandbox/Career with upgraded Tracking Center:

Stock = Komets

Kopernicus+ OPM/"Black Hole Mod I can't remember name of"  = no Komets

Rats. 

Don't worry, if it's possible to work with Kopernicus, it will. Mod is still alpha.. :)

Hey! This looks like an amazing mod.

Unfortunately it isn't working with my planet pack, nor OPM. If you are able to support planet mods (I think through Kopernicus), would it be feasable for me to try and utilise Komet configs into my own planet pack? Thanks :D

3 hours ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Hey! This looks like an amazing mod.

Unfortunately it isn't working with my planet pack, nor OPM. If you are able to support planet mods (I think through Kopernicus), would it be feasable for me to try and utilise Komet configs into my own planet pack? Thanks :D

If you have Kopernicus installed then Kerbal Komets won't work. I am looking into a solution. Also, if you have an existing asteroid, it will get resized when installing the mod. It is also an issue I'm working on. Just a friendly reminder, as it says in the OP, the mod is alpha. There are bound to be issues as it is developed. :)

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

If you have Kopernicus installed then Kerbal Komets won't work. I am looking into a solution. Also, if you have an existing asteroid, it will get resized when installing the mod. It is also an issue I'm working on. Just a friendly reminder, as it says in the OP, the mod is alpha. There are bound to be issues as it is developed. :)

No worries, that's perfectly understandable. Great work, though, and good luck - it truly has great potential!

Well, looking at the code, I can stop the asteroids from changing shape, including when you uninstall the mod, but I have to figure out how to handle the asteroid sample experiment. That's going to be a harder problem. I think I have to manually set up the experiment.

I changed the base chance to 1 and am still seeing quite a few... I might need to chnage things so that there is a 1 in 1000 chance to flip an asteroid into a komet, then adjust the settings slider accordingly. I'll do that next release after I ponder through some fixes I'm working on. Trying to avoid the problem of existing asteroids changing shape when the mod is installed while also having a custom experiment. It's not easy given how SQUAD implemented asteroids.

40 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I changed the base chance to 1 and am still seeing quite a few... I might need to chnage things so that there is a 1 in 1000 chance to flip an asteroid into a komet, then adjust the settings slider accordingly. I'll do that next release after I ponder through some fixes I'm working on. Trying to avoid the problem of existing asteroids changing shape when the mod is installed while also having a custom experiment. It's not easy given how SQUAD implemented asteroids.

Hi chap

Will the next update include a fix for them not spawning when OPM and Kopanicus is installed?

If not its totaly understandable and will wait for any possible fix in future :)

8 minutes ago, stk2008 said:

Will the next update include a fix for them not spawning when OPM and Kopanicus is installed?

I get the feeling the fix for that will be as soon as he knows what the fix is.  So, he can't give future plans on when it would be out - when he knows enough to make a plan, he'll be done.

51 minutes ago, stk2008 said:

Hi chap

If not its totaly understandable and will wait for any possible fix in future :)

At the moment, I don't even know if I can fix it. The bigger issue is that asteroids that you've visited will be reshaped when you install the mod and when you uninstall it. I have to fix that first, then I can look at seeing what I can do about Kopernicus. If nothing, I'll be bummed because I use Kopernicus in my career game. But we'll see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.