[1.8.1 - 1.9.x] KerbalKomets - Add komets to your game!

Angelo Kerman

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but every time I create a sandbox game a new komet spawns. Why is this? Great mod by the way! Especially since I'm useless with capturing asteroids and this mod allows me to advance transfer to them. :)

3 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but every time I create a sandbox game a new komet spawns. Why is this? Great mod by the way! Especially since I'm useless with capturing asteroids and this mod allows me to advance transfer to them. :)

Definitely not a bug. Discovering komets is rare, so you get one at the start. :)

On 3/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, Angel-125 said:

OAlso, what the f is wrong with the existing naming??? I'm pretty irked that people keep complaining about naming komets when you can already do this! Do people not pay attention to the right-context menus? It works exactly like asteroid naming. You right-click the komet, and rename it.

I don't know if this is helpful or not (haven't tried this mod yet, although I'm thinking about it for later in my career save), but in my experience that option in stock doesn't work properly. Renaming the asteroid from the right click menu changes its name in the right click menu, and changes the name of samples taken from it--but doesn't change how it shows up in map view or the tracking station. To do that I have to rename it from the tracking station (as I would a piece of debris that has no command module). I don't know if this is intentional, a stock bug, or a mod-related issue; it's not enough of a problem for me to be bothered trying to fix it, but it might explain why people are having issues with this mod.

Or maybe people just don't know about stock vessel-renaming options. They are pretty well-hidden, after all.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Kerbal Komets 0.4.0 is now available:

- Updated to support KSP 1.3.
- Randomized orbits a bit for new komets.
- Each time asteroids spawn, there's a 1 in 10000 chance that the asteroid will become a komet. You can change the odds in Settings->Difficulty.

Does this update also give you the ability to rename them?

Saw previous posting about this. Lest I incur the wrath of @Angel-125

Edited by adsii1970

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Does this update also give you the ability to rename them?

Not in this update, no. I focused on getting the mod compatible with 1.3 and making the orbits more random. Next update will let you rename komets.

@Angel-125 @Galileo @OhioBob I like what I see.

I don't think it recognizes additional hosts for asteroid fields (planets as well as stars) . I bumped up the discovery chance and none seem to have appeared around Grannus. That limitation aside, I'm grateful for your work on this.

I didn't think to bring any resource scanners........

aeVUHc7.jpg 

eGIJ5ec.jpg

Wondering is someone could help my understanding on some specifics of this mod?

a) Difficulty settings show a 1 in 10,000 chance of spawning a Komet.
b) CFG file gives a 5% (default) chance of asteroid turning into Komet.

What is the difference between these two settings? Is it meant that (a) is for Kerbol orbiting Komets and (b) for Kerbin passing Komets?

Do these 2 setting effect each other or are they independent?
Last question - I understand the game is still in alpha and functionality still being invented - (Other than Hyper edit over the fact) is there a way to randomize the "Long. of asc. node" for generated comets? Or is that a feature still to come?

Edited by wile1411

• 1 month later...
On 2017-6-3 at 9:47 PM, wile1411 said:

What is the difference between these two settings? Is it meant that (a) is for Kerbol orbiting Komets and (b) for Kerbin passing Komets?

Last question - I understand the game is still in alpha and functionality still being invented - (Other than Hyper edit over the fact) is there a way to randomize the "Long. of asc. node" for generated comets? Or is that a feature still to come?

I don't quite get it either... But it seems all found bodies are being changed into comets... :confused:

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2017 at 10:47 AM, wile1411 said:

@Angel-125 Just wondering if I could ask for a moment from your busy schedule of mod curating to do a quick stop by here? Just hoping to see what the available dials & knobs in the setting actually do. If busy at moment - no prob.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mustard said:

This mod crashes KSP 1.3.1. Not compatible.

Patience. @Angel-125 hasn't updated it yet. All mods which leverage the KSP difficulty system UI will crash 1.3.1 until they've been updated, and I'm sure it's on his list to get to - he stated on other WBI threads that he's busy with RL stuff at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, when I install Kerbal Komets 0.5.0 into KSP 1.3.1 it gives me the "Wrong KSP Version" pop up telling me to use KSP 1.3.

I didn't have a previous installation of Kerbal Komets present to even cause issues.

Wondering if it is just me.

>EDIT

I snooped around and found that the "KerbalKomets.version" file in it's main folder had the KSP version listed as 1.3.0 so I tried just changing that from

"MAJOR":1,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":0

to

"MAJOR":1,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":1

and it all seems to be working fine :)

Edited by manfellow
found a solution

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.