[1.8.1 - 1.9.x] KerbalKomets - Add komets to your game!

Angelo Kerman

@JustJim might find this amusing:

XYlEMgt.png

KQGPVWi.png

Anyway, here is KerbalKomets 0.2.0:

- You're guaranteed at least one komet being created when you install the mod or start a new game.
- You can adjust the komet discovery chance, enable/disable auto-tracking of discovered komets, and enable/disable sending a press release for discovered komets through the GameSettings->Difficulty->Kerbal Komets screen.
- If enabled (it is by default), you'll receive a press release upon discovering a new komet.
- If enabled (it is by default), the Tracking Station will automatically track newly discovered komets.
- Added more debugging information.

Gy0kFDj.png

Edited by Angel-125

54 minutes ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

Really a nice and enriching idea. great mod !

Thanks! :)

49 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Now this is awesome! Can you visibly see them on the surface of Kerbin as they approach Kerbol?

Now THAT would be cool! Right now, no. You have to be in physics range in order to see the komet tail; it's a particle stream, like a rocket exhaust, that is generated when you're up close. KSP would have to be modified to show asteroids as they get relatively close, and updated to show the particle effects. Something like Distant Object Enhancement with the particle emitter running. Real comets have tails that can easily stretch 1 A.U. but KerbalKomets are a lot shorter and thus are harder to spot. I'd do it if I could though, I'll look into this...

Edited by Angel-125

awesome will try this tomorrow.

About the physics range thing

I have bdarmoury installed in the options its possible to increase phys range to a max of 100000 would this help with seeing the komets?

I have mine set to 50000 at the moment.

12 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Angel-125: Does it have a large memory footprint?

It's very small, I added a particle emitter to the stock asteroid, and the plugin code. The worse performance hit would be the ability to render komets from the ground, but if I can get that to work, you'll have the ability to turn that feature off.

6 minutes ago, stk2008 said:

awesome will try this tomorrow.

About the physics range thing

I have bdarmoury installed in the options its possible to increase phys range to a max of 100000 would this help with seeing the komets?

I have mine set to 50000 at the moment.

That might help, yes.

7 hours ago, stk2008 said:

I am still not seeing one Komet.

It has to be some kind of conflict with one of my other mods?

Are you in career or sandbos? Is your tracking station capable of tracking asteroids? I have verified that the mod works.

29 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

Just what I've always wanted for KSP!  Thanks Angel-125!  One question of the apoapsis of the komets, are they customizable?  I wish to have my komets come in from the Kerbol Kuiper belt and beyond.

Check out the Settings.cfg file, and play with the numbers there. Should help you build what you're looking for.

3 hours ago, Skalou said:

really good news! :)

here is something that could help you, an old mod including comets too:

wtDHh4v.gif

more pics: http://imgur.com/a/H0mZC

hope the best for KerbalKomets!

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Hi there I am in sandbox and I can see astroids but none are ever komets.

It has to be a conflict with one of my many mods LOL.

I shall test on a clean install of KSP no ther mods :).

But still trying to find the mod causing the issue might be hard LOL.

Thanks again :)

I'm new to KSP so I dont know if this is normal. Currently I have 50+ asteriod turned comets on tracking station and still counting up. But then this "notification" pop up, I discovered over 200+. It's getting crazy turning off. Is this okey?

ZuuAawP.png

Edited by michanst
Picture

1 hour ago, Fr8monkey said:

Already got the 'Kottabos' treatment...

Wow, awesome! Thank you @Kottabos for the shout out. :) The mod is still alpha, so doing things like randomizing the komet's position in its orbit is still ongoing, but it's getting there... :)

25 minutes ago, michanst said:

I'm new to KSP so I dont know if this is normal. Currently I have 50+ asteriod turned comets on tracking station and still counting up. But then this "notification" pop up, I discovered over 200+. It's getting crazy turning off. Is this okey?

Depends, how high do you have the spawn frequency set? The default is 3, and can go as high as 100, though next release I'm adjusting the default to 1 or 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.