You know what I'd buy?

Foxster

So, here are two images, the first is the regular flat image, the second is an icosahedral image.  You can take the icosahedral image, cut it out, fold along the lines and tape it together, it will be a rough sphere.

I've asked them for some more details, I should get an answer since I just paid them to upgrade to the latest version

GCNKsv1.png

2gzgmmB.png

the word you people are looking for is papercraft

An icosahedral is nice... but I'd like something more spherical like this:

sphere-unfolded.jpg

Or this (less folding/glueing):

mp2_Sinusoidal-s75-i9.png

Something like it already exists for our Moon and Earth:

Moon-Global.jpg

Can be downloaded here: papercraftsquare.com/tag/globe

Progonos has a LOT of information about map projections and associated math (and papercraft).

Google 'papercraft sphere'

How I think one can make such a thing:

1: Texture a 3D sphere with a 2D image with a program like Blender

2: Use Pepakura (paid program, unfortunately) to fold out the model (and auto-add glue strips)

More templates: www.templatemaker.nl (Dutch language, but easy to create your own sphere templates, unfortunately no texture option)

Interesting example using illustrator: http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/29212/how-do-i-map-illustrator-artwork-on-a-sphere

1 hour ago, OrtwinS said:

Or this (less folding/glueing):

^ That particular type of design looks good in theory, but I found it wasn't super workable in practice (at least, not for me).

That was actually pretty close to what my first attempt looked like, back in the day, when I wrote a program to generate these.  (See my earlier post in this thread.)

The issue was the north and south poles.  All those points come together in one big traffic jam, and trying to get them all taped together not only was a royal pain, but also ended up looking (to my eye) pretty shabby.

What I ended up with that worked pretty well was a modified version of that, which lops off the pointy tips at about 45 degrees north and south latitude.  Then add a couple of flower-petal "caps" for the north and south poles.  That way, there's nowhere on the globe that more than three or four things come together at a point, and I found it much easier to tape together.

Not quite as elaborately fancy as your first example, but it looked good, was easy to cut out, and (most importantly) I found it pretty easy to tape together.

Here are three more outputs from FT3, more along the lines of what @OrtwinS showed.  First one is the originally generated image in a rectangular format:

SSzuiut.png

0lN3B4T.png

HzviTmk.png

It all depends on if we can get the data into FT3.  There is some file format called "mdr" file, which FT3 can import.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this, there is a tutorial here from someone who shows how he did it:  

You will find a very extensive tutorial on getting world data into FT3 here:
http://www.worldofgotha.com/PF_TUTORIAL/israh_index.html

Note that Joe Slayton's website has changed. Any links with "http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/" should be replaced by "http://www.fracterra.com/".

Joe's free program "Wilbur" (http://www.fracterra.com/software.html) can convert lots of different binary data files into mdr format, so if you can get your world map data in some other way, that may be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

You know what would be better than inflatable Kerbal planets? Stuffed planets. I have Mars, Earth, and constellations, and would love to see Kerbal versions of those. Mars even has biomes separated, which could be incorporated into Kerbal versions.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Y’know, would Squad ever make some Kraken plushies? 

(I’m on mobile but I’ll get an image in later) I’m sure that a lot of you guys know what the kraken looks like.  (It was in one of the early trailers....I believe 0.22 (I could very well be wrong)

I’m sure it’d be a cute lil thing, and we would indulge in the glory of capitalism and gobble them up would be a great product...any thoughts?

Edited by Lewie

On 3/7/2017 at 2:05 PM, Snark said:

So you're talking about this?

It says "maps".  That's not the same thing as saying "maps that can be cut out and taped together to make a globe."

I'm not saying "it can't do this", just that I haven't seen anywhere that explicitly says it can do this, and my past experience with GIS packages is that even some quite detailed ones don't have that as an output option, unless they were specifically designed to do so.

If someone has actually used this package and can attest that it does this-- or can find a place on the website that says it does this-- then great!  :) Otherwise, seems to me that the jury's still out.

i just take a screenshot and press command p(sorry, i should not have spoken a lowly mac user)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.