A Journey to Gauss

astroheiko

very cool report. i just read the last one but i see you made many more. i will  be reading them shortly after replying.  

I've never played with planet mods but your report intrigues me. maybe i will install one too. 

i also like your ship designs. you put a lot of effort in aesthetics:) 

@xendelaar

Thank you for the compliment. The planetary package of Galileo I can only recommend. There are really very nice planets / moons. In addition, it is in my opinion exactly the right one when the basic game has been played and you want to increase the difficulty level and play with the stockparts.

I am also happy that you like my designs. I used to have everything necessary, without paying attention to the appearance. When I first registered in the forum and saw the many beautiful things, I wanted to have something like that. But you have to have fun at the construction. The mother ship has definitely taken 10 hours. The Spaceplane for Catullus at least 25 without the tests, as it is extremely difficult to get away from Catullus again - with a plane and stockparts.

@ all

Today there is a small update. Slowly the story is coming to an end ...

Since there is still enough fuel in the rest of the spaceplan, I can fly to the mothership. This is located in a 100km orbit around Loki The alternative would have been to pick up the spaceplane with the mothership. So that I can capture the spaceplane, I attach the claw at the end of the mothership.

OuEBlH4.jpg

The rendezvous runs smoothly and I can collect the remains comfortably. I take over the remaining fuel, the 157 records and the brave crew. Then I leave the spaceplane to the deeps of the universe.

QkQYLvS.jpg

Then I stow the claw back in the cargo bay. Even strange - currently more Kerbals are in orbit around Loki (9 Kerbals) than around Gael.

yrgRxGI.jpg

I leave the orbit around Loki and look for me at Gauss a parking lot to finally be able to go home again (Gael).

oaOCfeK.jpg

The best window would be in 2 years. Since I have more than 3 times as much fuel as necessary, I set a course that starts in just 6 days. The maneuver costs hardly more than the optimal window.

v4F7jaA.jpg

After over 20 years, the crew can finally make their way home. In 6 years they will arrive. A last look at Gauss...bye

PoqKexX.jpg

Greetings

11 hours ago, Steeeeve said:

Skybox? I myself have a problem of downloading skyboxes. Most of the time, it doesn't work.

Hello @Steeeeve,

the Skybox ist the  NASA/ESA Foreign Eagle Skybox from JadeOfMar. Here is a link to the corresponding post.

Skybox

You Need to install the TextureReplacer from this Topic: TextureReplacer but for 1.2.2 you need RangeMachine's unofficial release.

I am not currently at my own PC. When I'm back home,in about 10 hours, I can write a little guide for you, if you like.

5 hours ago, astroheiko said:

Hello @Steeeeve,

the Skybox ist the  NASA/ESA Foreign Eagle Skybox from JadeOfMar. Here is a link to the corresponding post.

Skybox

You Need to install the TextureReplacer from this Topic: TextureReplacer but for 1.2.2 you need RangeMachine's unofficial release.

I am not currently at my own PC. When I'm back home,in about 10 hours, I can write a little guide for you, if you like.

Sounds good. I will be back home in ~6-7 hrs, so that works!

Hello @Steeeeve,

It now follows a description how you can change the Skybox. I assume that you use version 1.2.2 of the game.

First, download the version v.2.5.4 of the TextureReplacer. Here the corresponding link:  TextureReplacer v2.5.4. Unzip the zip file and copy the "TextureReplacer" folder to the GameData folder of the main program.

Then download the desired Skybox from the link as well. Here is the link for the NASA / ESA Foreign Eagle Skybox.  Skybox.  This zip file must also be unpacked. In this file there are 6 dds files which are copied to the "Default" folder of GameData / TextureReplacer.

That's all. You should already notice it in the main menu of the game whether it has worked. Here is a picture of how the GameData folder should look.

LMAcBqz.jpg

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

Home at last. 27 years are on the clock. But first we must burn an orbit. 2400 m/s should cost that. I am getting an AP of 15.000km.

WtZNIb3.jpg

At the AP I equal the inclination and brake at the PE of 75km to get an AP of 500 km. Then I increase the PE to 200km. Now I can pick up the crew.

2EroLr3.jpg

They will be picked up with that thing.

gggHotq.jpg

Just before docking.

AssgXnn.jpg

Docked. I'll take the records first. 420 are automatically accepted, but some data is duplicated. These 20 data sets are collected by external employment.

no0Cuix.jpg

Everything is on board, the crew and the data. The shuttle docks and prepares everything for the descent. First I lower the orbit to 75km.

fK8lGUO.jpg

Re-entry into the atmosphere.

6elkBlZ.jpg

Landing approach.

oqnCZEG.jpg

Finally. All have returned home safely. This will definitely be a great party.

JnROTqI.jpg

The evaluation follows:
440 records were brought along and have 25652.1 science points inserted at 30% Science Reward.

Mg4ZmPf.jpg

Geofdas Kerman received 71XP. Desler, Sigmin and Leby Kerman each 65 XP. Valentina has received
64 XP. For Bill there were 100 Xp and Matdo Kerman, who is for the very first time on Gael, has received 89 XP.

Mpx0W3N.jpg

utOypAL.jpg

The mothership and the lander remain in orbit and are replaced by improved versions after the fuel has been transfered.

My conclusion:
The most complicated mission to a planet system I had so far. At the beginning, I did not think that
each body would need its own landing vehicle. Maybe I could have used the Spaceplane from Catulluss
for Tarsiss, but I only later came to the crazy idea with a Spaceplane to land at Catullus. If I had not
mentioned it yet. All vehicles were built with stock parts and here is the difficulty setting:

JBeeGfm.jpg

I hope that the reading has made some fun even if it was perhaps a litte bit objectively written, I am just a typical German.:D

Best wishes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.