Preserve staging when merging

Basically I keep each stage of my rockets as separate vessels so that I can use switch and swap them around, and they tend to be pretty complex.

So I have a rocket to get into orbit and a payload each with their own staging, all set up.

Merge the rocket onto the payload and BAM. Not only are the rockets stages messed up, but it's changed all the stages for my payload too (usually into one giant jumbled mess with no rhyme or reason at all).

if you can't figure out the stages, don't mess with them lol

EDIT: The best solution?

EDIT2: (why does tab submit on this forum) Make a type of ship design that doesn't contain parts but other ship designs and the stages are the designs in order. I don't actually expect though.

Edited by crekit

Actually I think staging might be preserved. All the first stage of the assembly  is being blended with the first stage of the actual craft, and so on.

Prepending or Appending staging is closer to what you're thinking of.

Tab by convention goes to the next user actionable element in a form. So it will go to submit rather than action submit.

11 hours ago, steuben said:

Actually I think staging might be preserved. All the first stage of the assembly  is being blended with the first stage of the actual craft, and so on.

Prepending or Appending staging is closer to what you're thinking of.

Okay yeah that's what I'm thinking of. If there's a way to do it now I'd be super happy.

If that is the behavior it still makes no sense. Why would I want to merge the stages of my mixed crafts? Is there any possible reason to ever want that?

I like to attach my rockets everytime instead of just when they are built: that way if I apply an upgrade to a particular stage it applies to every rocket that uses that stage.

Update because I tested that out a little bit. If you have empty stages -above- your current stages, the new rocket puts its stages there. That kind of allows what I want to do, but unfortunately making a bunch of empty stages above your rocket is a lot of clicking so that kind of sucks.

Adding empty stages to the part to be merged does nothing afaik.

Pretty much changes my reqeuest not at all.. Just prepend or append the stages instead of merging them together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.