Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

That's not what Persistent Rotation does, to my understanding. It closes the loophole of rotation stopping during timewarp, but doesn't change reference frames or anything. It doesn't do anything with SAS as far as I know. 

That said, I haven't used it in a while, maybe the scope of the mod has changed. 

It allows you to set the rotation reference frame to any celestial body. So you can imitate stock behavior by setting the reference body to the sun, or have your ship maintain its orientation relative to the ground by setting it to whatever body you're flying over/orbiting.

@Red Iron Crown As Hotaru has said, Persistent Rotation mod definitely supports orientation maintaining relative to a panet's surface during atmospheric flights. It has had this feature as long as I can remember. Was surprised when I found I could use it during physical time warp on my planes, have been using it ever since.

On 10/03/2017 at 1:23 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

some kind of basic autopilot

Some kind of basic autopilot is so obviously needed for many flights, is so obviously wanted by the vast majority of players, that it is inevitable.

Watching Squad dig in their heels and resist any implementation of one has now started to get interesting.

All the logical arguments are moot, now they only have a visceral, slightly perverse, desire to not have one.

I am interested how far they will go before relenting and implementing one.

On 8/23/2017 at 3:59 AM, John FX said:

Some kind of basic autopilot is so obviously needed for many flights, is so obviously wanted by the vast majority of players, that it is inevitable.

Watching Squad dig in their heels and resist any implementation of one has now started to get interesting.

All the logical arguments are moot, now they only have a visceral, slightly perverse, desire to not have one.

I am interested how far they will go before relenting and implementing one.

I'd say the same thing about life support if I actually thought KSP1's development was going to continue much longer.

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'd say the same thing about life support if I actually thought KSP1's development was going to continue much longer.

I am undecided about that, while it does seem as though dev work on free updates has essentially stopped I can imagine paid DLC may well provide a lot of those features we all knew were essential all along. I would not be surprised if a `realism` pack came out with most of the features of realism overhaul, including life support. I think they may well dig in their heels and not do RSS though.

We may see a graphical update at some point possibly free.

Of course I may be wrong on all of this but my gut feeling has been right a few times so far.

One of my long term hopes which I do not think I will see realised is simply more to do once you get to a body.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be happy if it would just  properly hold the attitudes it already has programmed into it, but of course I would support this too.

I think the ideal solution would be to have an "absolute" mode for the SAS hold function, where it holds a specific attitude with respect to infinity (like it does now), and a "relative" one, where it holds a specific attitude with respect to the coordinates of the Navball. That would allow you to maintain  body-relative headings in flight/orbit and also to maintain absolute headings when plotting maneuvers.

9 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

I'd be happy if it would just  properly hold the attitudes it already has programmed into it, but of course I would support this too.

I think the ideal solution would be to have an "absolute" mode for the SAS hold function, where it holds a specific attitude with respect to infinity (like it does now), and a "relative" one, where it holds a specific attitude with respect to the coordinates of the Navball. That would allow you to maintain  body-relative headings in flight/orbit and also to maintain absolute headings when plotting maneuvers.

Even now, the SAS hold function is not absolute; it damps attitude slip and returns generally to the same direction, but things can still gradually go off-kilter. There should be an absolute hold heading that returns you to the same selected heading (like how "target" works) no matter what. 

And a "hold horizon".

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.