Career Tech Tree Modification

I think that in the career tech tree, unmanned probes should come BEFORE manned crafts and parts. It makes no sense to send kerbals up before satellites. (That is, if you can get "Stayputnik" not to stay-put :P) It would be way more realistic and easier starting, since you don't have enough money to keep hiring and killing more kerbals.

-Thanks for reading

Agreed - choice would be best.

Satellites first though is only 'realistic' when compared to human history - and human history is shaped by human motivations and a human timeline of technological progress. A lot of early communication satellite concepts, for example, assumed that they'd basically be big flying telephone switchboards - crewed by switchboard operators. Of course that didn't happen in the end because by the time spaceflight became feasible, we had reliable - and lighter - solid state circuitry, making the 'switchboard operator in space' concept redundant.

Kerbals may well have very different motivations for going to space,and available technologies at the point where it becomes feasible for them. We don't have enough canon backstory from Squad to tell.

TL:DR. Choice is good, having a preference for 'uncrewed first' is great but I don't think you can really claim that it's more realistic.

its "realistic" but in terms of game design its a short sighted suggestion. You need to show how this would fit into the flow and progression of the game in a way that is better than what we currently got (and no "my immersions" alone doesn't count as being better)

In terms of game logic, kerbals are much cheaper to maintain then probes. I guess due to their biochemistry they can self hibernate, energy they are getting from mystical source. Probes on the other hands require electricity and connection. From that perspective it is seems just fine to have manned crafts before probes, just because probes are more advance in this universe.

I guess, if any sort of Life Support will be introduced into the game mechanics, than it would make sense to put unmanned first.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Rattlesnake28535 said:

I think that in the career tech tree, unmanned probes should come BEFORE manned crafts and parts. It makes no sense to send kerbals up before satellites. (That is, if you can get "Stayputnik" not to stay-put :P) It would be way more realistic and easier starting, since you don't have enough money to keep hiring and killing more kerbals.

Unmanned first would really limit the kinds of things you could do early in career after the kerbnet update. For example, while orbiting you would lose control for quite some time.

12 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Unmanned first would really limit the kinds of things you could do early in career after the kerbnet update. For example, while orbiting you would lose control for quite some time.

Which is very realistic. But realism is not everyone wants.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.