Why is my spacecraft so inefficient - can it at least get tu Duna (and back)?

18 hours ago, Anonymmm said:

Ok, added the Vernors and oxidizer fuel tanks for them. Sadly, I realised that I can't use the engine mount, since I haven't unlocked the parts yet :( Yeah, sucks, but still:

OHAavTr.png

(The wheels are for a contract, again.)

Hopefully, tomorrow or during the weekend, I can finally get this to Duna.

Feeling hyped! :)

if you want even more experimentation opportunities, you can copy your craft file over to a sandbox game, then just mess with it there :).

Personally, and maybe coming from versions in which such part counts meant an fps hit, I'd download a couple of mods to get bigger engines instead of using so many smaller ones:

MRS has a 2.5 quad nuke, which has four times the size, weight and thrust than the stock Nerv.

MK3 Expansion has, IIRC, an MK3 nuke, which also balanced alongside the stock nerv

MK4 and IIRC MK3 Expansion as well have 2.5 meters ramjets and rapier like engines

By using those, you save on build time, complexity and part count

I'm back!

To all of those who followed the threat: I made it to Duna! Yay! The most painful thing was actually getting this into orbit, however, when I got there, everything else went super easy. The best part was however my Duna landing. On my first few attempts, I had very little time and just wanted to quickly land, so I just dived... and crashed. Then I had to go somewhere, but the next day, I reloaded the save in which I was still in Duna orbit, pumped all the fuel to the front of the plane, then descended very slowly and patiently, planned every next step and guess what?! Landed at my first attempt, no quick saves :) I'm actually kind of proud of myself, since this was my first time actually landing something after a space flight (I have never done a proper Kerbin landing before) :)

sxaw0dB.png

The mission also gave me 10 000 science without me even actually doing any science on the surface / in high atmosphere, so I maximised my still not quiet complete tech tree quiet easily.

Big shout out to:

@AeroGav @bewing @Allocthonous @Snark @FleshJeb @Spricigo

... and all the others. There is no way I would make it without you guys! Thanks!

Your grateful,

Anonymmm

I'm surprised nobody suggested changing your wheels out for landing gear (unless they did and I missed it). Congratulations though!

Also, a suggestion: Vernors are very nice, but for a ship that large another option is vertically-oriented nuclear engines, which can also be used to perform orbital burns with high efficiency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.