Mod to show where planet is relative to ship orbit?

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a mod out there to show where a planet is at a particular time on an orbit? For example if you mouse over a point in your predicted orbit after a manoeuvre node it shows where the target would be including distance and maybe (but not essential) relative velocity?

The 'closest encounter' marker seems to be a bit weird. It can go from a few 100,000km to nothing (disappears) in 0.01dV in one direction but go to several million km in another. Also it won't show second encounter like a ship to ship intercept orbit does.Trying to get an encounter with Moho from Kerbin for example can be a trial and error nightmare as once those little grey triangles disappear you've no idea how close you are even if potentially you'll pass within a few hundred thousand km. Even if you get an encounter if you're using nukes and a multi-orbit burn finding a correction intercept once you've escaped Kerbins SOI can be impossible. In a sandbox single mission game it's a little frustrating but in career where you've 10s of missions on the go at once you can't just keep reloading if an adjustment goes wrong.

Would appreciate any pointers! Thanks.

I know of no such mod, but hat's because it is probably not necessary to make one. It's a stock functionality. :wink:

In the options menu under Gameplay, there should be a toggle somewhere that says "always show closest approach markers". That makes them incredibly sticky. They won't even go away after you already have an encounter, because it'll even start showing them for your next crossing of the target orbit after performing a flyby. That way, you should be able to avoid losing them while finetuning.

For what it's worth, though: even without that toggle, KSP is usually pretty good at showing them. If they disappear really quickly in one direction but stay a long while in another, that usually means you are passing a significant distance above or below the target, so that a small change in the wrong direction will put you out of range entirely. An inclination correction should fix that.

Thanks - that does seem to make them stick around a lot longer. It still doesn't seem to make complete sense at least to me - after a 0.01 adjustment in Precise Node they jumped from ~120,000km to millions (i.e other side of orbit) but it does seem to be a bit more sticky than before! I still rekon if I did the burn with the massive encounter distance I'd still pass less than an orbit away but I probably don't fully understand the behaviour of the predictions as a newbie to the game.

Just to clarify - the option is under graphics and not gameplay.

• 4 weeks later...

I would strongly recommend watching, "How to use the Navball" by Buckeyemonkey.  You can find it on the whiteboard tutorials, point being, during one of these videos he is struggling with the maneuver nodes-working all the handles until he finally gets a proper encounter.  Frustrating?  You bet.  I liked the video because he's clearly an advanced player yet he is struggling like the rest of us.  You know, sometimes it's just game mechanics and not the gamer.  Nice to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.