BT Industries

Underground City Entrances

Recommended Posts

It has been long assumed that Kerbals live underground simply because we don't see them...

I, however, would like some sort of evidence of Kerbal civilizations...

We all know that adding cities would be a tremendous amount of work to add into the game not to mention a massive hit on performance.

So what I am suggesting is a Kerbal Konstructs mod (wich I will from now on abbreviate to KK) that shows various old and modern entrances/doors to the underground that Kerbals have locked themselves up in.

Spoiler contains images to help you visualize the sort of structures I am talking about...

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLg-LiUOI8IehL3CMVWQxPaqCu749IDQn0AomqReDa7W7RSGTY

csm_46708_02_d71289ba88.jpg

CaUOVbFWwAEXuUT.jpg

34748671e605c7fcee32dbb641c82633.jpg

new-zealand-hobbit-houses-good-hobbiton-matamata-new-zealand-hobbit-house.jpg

 
 

I do not know very much about modding KK buildings into the game or 3d modeling but hopefully, someone else does

I am of course willing to help organize/manage a collaborative effort (hopefully more effectively then the old KSP City mod :wink: ) if nobody is up to such a big task on their lonesome. I will have to learn a bit about KK but I'm willing to do so.

 

Kerbal Art Style??? 

Spoiler

f455b8de-5efe-4af5-bbc1-44fdfb8bf946_scaled.jpg

Maybe retextured to look more natural?

b205be36-ca46-41a5-8732-79fb0613c298_scaled.jpg

 

 

Well then, what are your thoughts and suggestions?

Do you like the idea?

Where do you think the Kerbals are?

Maybe you would like to help?

 

I look forward to discussing this...

 

Edited by BT Industries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy peasy and pretty cool idea, you know my stuff , statics are fairly easy in all departments, and KK is not difficult to work with.  The hardest thing is really the placement , finding just the right spot for your static can be more time consuming than making the parts themselves  Drop me a line if you need assistance anywhen

Spoiler

Jr7pxpm.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a pretty cool idea. I never thought about Kerbals living underground, actually. I like the idea. ^^ Maybe the Kerbals have survived a nuclear war and during the fallout they realized that they had to work together instead of hitting each other on the head with the proverbial nuclear stick. That would be my possible backstory, anyway. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerbal fortification.
Pillboxes, to place the AA/AT-guns of the city guards, scarps, dragon's teeth, hedgehogs to stop the rovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Easy peasy and pretty cool idea, you know my stuff, statics are fairly easy in all departments, and KK is not difficult to work with.  The hardest thing is really the placement, finding just the right spot for your static can be more time consuming than making the parts themselves  Drop me a line if you need assistance anywhen

 

Of course, I know your stuff!!!

Maybe I'll teach myself how to do this...

...if so I'll definitely be asking you for help a lot.

I'm happy to find all the locations, though!!!

Sounds like fun!!!

Now...

...opening blender and youtube tutorials...

...or maybe I could use some of the Kerbin Side models?

I'll check the license 

8 hours ago, Jimmy Stiff-Fingers said:

This is a pretty cool idea. I never thought about Kerbals living underground, actually. I like the idea. ^^ Maybe the Kerbals have survived a nuclear war and during the fallout, they realized that they had to work together instead of hitting each other on the head with the proverbial nuclear stick. That would be my possible backstory, anyway. :P

 

Love the idea!!!

I originally thought it might have something to do with what looks like some pretty fresh craters on the surface of Kerbin...

...Meteor Storm anyone?

I do like the fallout idea though!!!

Seems very Kerbal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BT Industries said:

I originally thought it might have something to do with what looks like some pretty fresh craters on the surface of Kerbin...

...Meteor Storm anyone?

I do like the fallout idea though!!!

Seems very Kerbal...

Yeah, was also thinking about something like that. Kerbin seems to be placed inside an asteroid belt for some reason, anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perhaps also using the KK mod you could build underground launch silos that can be used to actually launch rockets?! (never used KK or any other related mods, so I have no clue if this is physically possible ingame).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

perhaps also using the KK mod you could build underground launch silos that can be used to actually launch rockets?! (never used KK or any other related mods, so I have no clue if this is physically possible ingame).

 

I like that idea!!!

I have seen people make opening doors on KK buildings so maybe you could make a silo with opening doors!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

.or maybe I could use some of the Kerbin Side models?

I wouldnt i I were you , the method of construction and texturing is not well suited to reworking   , Gerspace btw has full and exclusive rights to the KK assets

26 minutes ago, BT Industries said:

so maybe you could make a silo with opening doors!!!

Spoiler

 

y0ZNXEL.png

ZCDEaHG.png

qo9NicM.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jimmy Stiff-Fingers said:

This is a pretty cool idea. I never thought about Kerbals living underground, actually. I like the idea. ^^ Maybe the Kerbals have survived a nuclear war and during the fallout they realized that they had to work together instead of hitting each other on the head with the proverbial nuclear stick. That would be my possible backstory, anyway. :P

This idea is actually being explored in my fan fic work... Kinda neat that someone else thinks along the same lines I do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

This idea is actually being explored in my fan fic work... Kinda neat that someone else thinks along the same lines I do...

I was thinking of making a fan fiction, so I started world building.

Then I decided this had to be dealt with before I could start writing the stories...

(Also great minds think alike :wink:)

 

37 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I wouldnt i I were you , the method of construction and texturing is not well suited to reworking   , Gerspace btw has full and exclusive rights to the KK assets

6
 
6

Full rights...

Oh well...

Probably for the best by the sounds of it!

37 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

y0ZNXEL.png

ZCDEaHG.png

qo9NicM.gif

 
 

 

 
 
 

I remember that now!!!

I can remember walking into it...

...how would that have worked?

Would you need to walk through the terrain collider?

Same for the rockets?

EDIT: Or maybe they edited the height map to place a convenient ditch in the right location?

Edited by BT Industries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jimmy Stiff-Fingers said:

This is a pretty cool idea. I never thought about Kerbals living underground, actually. I like the idea. ^^ Maybe the Kerbals have survived a nuclear war and during the fallout they realized that they had to work together instead of hitting each other on the head with the proverbial nuclear stick. That would be my possible backstory, anyway. :P

Well, not to advertise, but I had the same idea when starting my mission report!

 

As far as the relevant topic goes, you can't really break the terrain in KSP, you'd have to make artificial terrain in KK that sits on top of the real terrain. Either that, or mod in a sort of portal, like Kerbolquest did with the tracking station. Ahh, nostalgia! Back when it was Kerbolquest and Kerbin City...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, not to advertise, but I had the same idea when starting my mission report!

 

As far as the relevant topic goes, you can't really break the terrain in KSP, you'd have to make artificial terrain in KK that sits on top of the real terrain. Either that, or mod in a sort of portal, like Kerbolquest did with the tracking station. Ahh, nostalgia! Back when it was Kerbolquest and Kerbin City...

 

Nostalgia indeed!!!

I'll look into Kerbquest...

Maybe we can give an actual interior to the underground cities!!!

(I think I'm getting ahead of myself...)

Anyways Kerbquest was the one with the Jetpack right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BT Industries said:

Anyways Kerbquest was the one with the Jetpack right?

Correct! Man, that was ages ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Correct! Man, that was ages ago...

Yep "Powered by Kerbtown" ... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Either that, or mod in a sort of portal, like Kerbolquest did with the tracking station. Ahh, nostalgia! Back when it was Kerbolquest and Kerbin City...

 
 
1

Seems as though Kerbquest loaded some sort of custom scene on top of the current game...

... might be easier to do a portal like you said before.

That way you could hide massive interior structures under the surface and when the player flies, drives, walks, crashes or floats into the entrance it could slowly fade into darkness, teleport you into the actual entrance many miles under the surface and then fade back to normal.

EDIT: I'm getting ahead of myself again...

EDIT 2: Though that would be epic!!!

Edited by BT Industries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of styling should it have???

Suggestions for the older entrances...

Spoiler

b205be36-ca46-41a5-8732-79fb0613c298_scaled.jpg

f455b8de-5efe-4af5-bbc1-44fdfb8bf946_scaled.jpg

 
 

Maybe retextured to give a more natural look???

This way I wouldn't have to model...

...only retexture and implement 

What do you guys think???

Edited by BT Industries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.