Are multi-stack rockets possible in the demo version?

C128user

I am trying out the demo version (in Sandbox mode), and it's doing alright with onboard graphics (I have a system with onboard Radeon R7 graphics with 2GB of memory, 8GB total RAM on the system).  Is it possible to create rockets that are more than 1 stack?  I have not been able to figure out if I can have some strap-on boosters or similar things.

Welcome to the forums :)

There is something called "surface attachment". Instead of stacking parts by their green nodes, sometimes you can also just stick the part onto the side of another part. For this to happen, the part must be attachable, and the target part must allow attachment. For example, a mk1 command pod allows attachment, but isn't attachable itself. You can stick things to it, but it cannot be stuck onto other things except by way of its green nodes.

The reason I'm telling you this is that liquid fuel tanks are both attachable and allow attachment. That means you can create a multi-stack rocket simply by radially attaching fuel tanks to other fuel tanks, and then later sticking engines to the bottom. Now, you will not be able to decouple those side stacks in flight - for that, you would need radial decouplers, and I am not sure if they are available in the demo. In fact, since you ask like this, they probably aren't. But don't let that stop you - there's a lot you can do even without them. For example, there is not a single radial decoupler anywhere on this 30-ton payload lifter (though there are some structural elements that the demo doesn't contain which keep it from wobbling).

I have tried out the side mounting fuel tanks, and they do attach.  Getting the thing to launch is another story.  I keep getting some parts detaching when they shouldn't (such as my latest attempt to launch, and the capsule detached instead).  Any other key to launch besides the Space bar?

Thanks to everyone who has responded!  I have been able to achieve orbit; however, my re-entry speed was a bit high and the parachute overheated.  Just have to adjust the flight path.  I was able to launch a shuttle in Orbiter and land it, so it will just take some more practice.

It is partly because of Scott Manley that I decided to check out KSP, especially a combo video with him and someone else I follow on YouTube (Vintage Space/Amy Shira Teitel) where they made a "Von Braun" inspired rocket to see if it would launch.  I shall check out more of his stuff for hints and tips.

48 minutes ago, C128user said:

Thanks to everyone who has responded!  I have been able to achieve orbit; however, my re-entry speed was a bit high and the parachute overheated.  Just have to adjust the flight path.  I was able to launch a shuttle in Orbiter and land it, so it will just take some more practice.

You can pretty much come straight down from low orbit and survive, so the issue wasnt your re-entry speed. You probably deployed the parachute too early. The parachute icon in the staging stack should change color to indicate when it is safe to deploy. red=not safe, yellow=probably ok, gray=ok. You should also be able to right click the parachute itself and it will tell you if it is safe to deploy. Anything under 300m/sec should be safe, but make sure you deploy at least 1km above the surface, as it takes time to fully deploy and slow you to a safe landing speed.

Good luck. Happy launches/landings!

Yep, it was Scott Manley's videos that got me to buy the game, too.  After trying the demo for a week or so, of course.  An online tutorial showed me how to build a rocket with demo parts that could make orbit -- and I was hooked.  I bought the game in December, and I've flow many missions to Mun and Minmus, as well as one Duna flyby (in Sandbox mode).  I'm currently pursuing a Science game, and looking forward to the day I feel confident enough to try Career.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.