KSP Forums Cities: Skylines Collab. Open to all.

cantab

Welcome to the

KSP Forums Cities: Skylines Collab

Open to all

How do I join?

First read the rules and get your Cities: Skylines ready, then obtain the latest save when it is available. There are no formal sign-ups and no rota.

Showcase

607F6ED075BCC3C30096698CF7F26519332F3152

8R0teDM.jpg

V8rm5Kr.jpg

n0OSfcB.jpg

Concept

One map, many towns. Each player works on their own town.

Setup

Can this change?

Yes. If there's a general consensus on adding a required mod or asset in, we can go with it. Since it's easier to add new stuff than it is to stop using stuff, we should be a little cautious.

DLC

Required:

• Match Day. This is free but it does need to be installed additionally to the main game.
  • Pearls from the East. Again, free. I think it installs automatically too, but double-check.

Allowed:

• Relaxation Station. I've no reason to think this will affect the gameplay.
  • The Architecture Artbook. This isn't even part of the game.
  • Soundtrack. Likewise, it's a separate soundtrack download not used by the game itself.

Disallowed: All other DLC. I recommend outright uninstalling it which you can do by unticking the entries on the Cities page in your Steam Library. Though you might be OK with simply not using the DLC features. If you have Natural Disasters installed, at least turn the random disasters off.

Assets

All disallowed. Please disable them in your Content Manager, especially growables that might otherwise pop up spontaneously then vanish when someone else loads the save/

Mods

Required:

• Unlimited Money. Included in the stock game.
  • Unlock All. Included in the stock game.

Allowed: Any mod that won't cause problems if the next person to take the save doesn't have it. Including but not limited to:

• City Vitals Watch.
  • Don't Crash.
  • One-way Street Arrows.
  • Precision Engineering.

Disallowed: Anything that's going to either change behaviour or outright break the save if it's loaded without that mod. Including but not limited to:

• Automatic Bulldozer. This is disallowed because it will bulldoze other people's things.
  • Metro Overhaul Mod.
  • Network Extensions.
  • Traffic Manager.

District Styles

Required: European/Vanilla. Included in the stock game. This lets players opt for the Euro-style terraces or the original skyscrapers as desired. Please remember this - forgetting it and loading the save will make people's buildings vanish!

Play

When you first start mark out your town limits using a road or footpath, encompassing a land area of about two map tiles. (Even though they're all bought, you can click the Map icon in the lower left and see how big one tile is). You may expand later if needed, so there's no need to be too greedy.

Within your town build as normal.

In areas not part of any town you may build important infrastructure such as highways and power lines. You may not zone outside town.

In other people's towns, hands off! You may run transit lines between towns. You may replace a burned-down service building if you spot one. If the other person's traffic is so bad it's backing up the highways you may attempt to fix it. That's about it.

If your town directly borders another agree with the other person how you'll handle the boundary.

Budgets and taxes should be treated with care. You can change them if you like, but don't cause havoc in another town by doing so.

Unique Buildings are first come first served, but please don't hog them all.

Policies should be applied to districts, not city-wide.

Save Exchanging

Look at the most recent posts in the thread for the latest version. I'm not going to put links here because they won't stay up to date.

Take the save when you are about to play. Upload it when you have finished. Please don't bag the save just because you plan to play later on.

To take the save just post in this thread that you have the save and download the latest version.

To upload the save, upload it to the Steam Workshop from the Content Manager in Cities: Skylines, titling it KSP Forums Collab - yyyy-mm-dd. Then post in the thread that you have uploaded it, preferably with a link. You may also include screenshots - I'll put my favourites in this post.

Edited by cantab
Pic again

I HAVE cities skylines, but it lags so much that its better if I don't play it

and its with maximum amount of graphics on low

I'm a bit confused, can you describe it better? are we all on the same map just we have one section to ourselves? sounds like a good idea, if I get CS to not lag, I'll join in

Edited by StupidAndy

Yeah, Cities does need a good PC to run well, it's more demanding than Kerbal even with no mods or assets.

And that is indeed the basic idea, each of us gets a section of the map to work in.

That's correct, a bit of co-ordination is needed, but that's the same for all collabs.

I can set up the save tomorrow. Two things to decide first:

The map. I'm going to suggest Diamond Coast. I fancy doing a tropical map, it's got good variety of topography and reasonable resource spread. Of course if anyone else has a preference then say so.

Right or left hand traffic?

I think I would enjoy this, but I have traditionally been very unreliable in scheduled cooperative gaming; I was that player who vanished 2 days after joining your guild. I'll join in for a bit if that won't be too disruptive to everybody else.

My vote is for left hand traffic.

Do I need to uninstall my mods? I came to lean particularly hard on the one that disables all traffic signals everywhere, and especially the one that disables the annoying bird.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

I think I would enjoy this, but I have traditionally been very unreliable in scheduled cooperative gaming

I hope to address that quite simply: by asking people to only take the save when they're about to play, and then upload it when they're finished.

For mods, well you can simply turn them off in the Content Manager and don't need to unsubscribe. And anything that doesn't affect the save ought to be fine, so stuff like disabling chirpy. Even Move It is probably OK. But for traffic mods, well it's open for discussion. Traffic Manager can increase the game's CPU load, but on the other hand it *is* very useful.

17 minutes ago, cantab said:

I hope to address that quite simply: by asking people to only take the save when they're about to play, and then upload it when they're finished.

Sounds good to me.

17 minutes ago, cantab said:

For mods, well you can simply turn them off in the Content Manager and don't need to unsubscribe. And anything that doesn't affect the save ought to be fine, so stuff like disabling chirpy. Even Move It is probably OK. But for traffic mods, well it's open for discussion. Traffic Manager can increase the game's CPU load, but on the other hand it *is* very useful.

Yeah, never mind that question. "Stock parts only" is easy enough to grasp, and a small settlement with infinite money will nullify the need for most of them. A few that might be worth debating:

• Infinite Oil And Ore
    I like this one because this game's resources tend to run out just as I'm completing a district that uses them, and it annoys me to have to rename "Oil Town" to "Boring Zone #243". This would potentially give our towns more differentiation as there would be the possibility to specialize in different resources.
  • Automatic Bulldoze
    Is there ever a reason not to bulldoze an abandoned or burned down building?

I can support Infinite Oil And Ore, yes, since people's industrial districts will potentially be running for a while 'unattended' as it were.

I'm opposed to Automatic Bulldoze, because demolishing buildings can break power grids, which then makes more abandonment and suddenly half the city has vanish. Quite a few players have managed to get caught out by that.

yup, oil and ore can give cool thematic district, i aggree too ( it's a bit weird they've choosen that gameplay wise vanilla and not implemented a tickbox default off, no infinite ressource) ^^

but automatic buldoze isn't necessary, and has a partially hidden downside somehow, in fact aside if your citizen are very unhappy/healthy/etc., the buildings replace fast all by themselves vanilla, so it's an indicator of your city health and balance. (+ perso i very very rarely has a building to clear manually, aside after a rare fire emergency eventually)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

18 minutes ago, cantab said:

I'm opposed to Automatic Bulldoze, because demolishing buildings can break power grids, which then makes more abandonment and suddenly half the city has vanish. Quite a few players have managed to get caught out by that.

Been there when my population sickened, after forgetting about a water tower near where I eventually put a mining district. I don't think that city ever did recover after wide swaths went dark.

On 16/3/2017 at 1:27 AM, cantab said:

The map.

I would prefer a non tropical map but whatever i can live with it

Do what 99.99% of the earth does (right) 

On 16/3/2017 at 9:13 PM, cantab said:

Does anybody interested not have After Dark?

And does anybody strongly object to left-hand-traffic?

I don't have any dlc and dont want to buy it

Count me in:D

Edited by rkarmark

as soon as I figure out if my laptop can take it and how to upload to workshop I'll join in

Glopdose City is comin' to Cities Skylines!

I think no DLC could help, because the second I installed Natural Disasters the game went sllloooooooooooooooowwlllly

TO STEAM!!!

The save is up!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885539004

I've not done much with my town, just a little starter village basically.

I don't actually know if 25 tiles by itself actually affects CPU usage much. Building giant cities that don't fit in 9 tiles certainly does, but that's not exactly the same thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.