Hi everyone,

Since about a month or two ago i have some problems with KSP, and perhaps one or two other games. The problem is there are some strange graphical glitches on the screen, like strange lines. I have a video showing the problem in the link on the bottom of my post. Strange this is, i've tried recording it using AMD ReLive to post the problem here (ReLive is the screen recorder built in to the AMD Radeon control panel) but the problem magically went away while recording. It didn't just disappear from the recording, the glitches actually stopped happening. Until i stopped the recording, and the glitches immediately returned. Now the only other game i've seen this problem occurring with is RuneScape (yeah i know) using their 'new' desktop launcher. But i don't play a lot of games lately so it might affect some more. My computer specs are as following:

• GPU: MSI Radeon R9 290
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3
  • Monitors: 2 Iiyama 1080p monitors
  • KSP version: latest Steam version (1.2.2)

I hope this is enough information, if you have some idea's and want to know more specs just ask please. And if someone have seen this problem before and knows of some ways to fix it: please let me know!

Video showing the glitching: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OolQxllg_zzjCkBEikPwoezNMpCuAGTpgw

Edited by PimBARF
Added some more specs

Welcome to the forum, @PimBARF! I'm no expert but I have to say it looks like your GPU is on the way out, and I would have been convinced about that except for the fact that the glitches stopped when you were recording! That's very odd. Have you tried updating the drivers for your GPU?

Before worrying about your graphics card I suggest you try changing the vertical synchronization (v-sync) and refresh rate settings in your graphics card driver software, because your video looks like screen tearing, v-sync should be on by default in KSP but that could be overridden.

I mention this because the issue disappears when you use your recording software, which might itself be forcing v-sync on while it records.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Welcome to the forum, @PimBARF! I'm no expert but I have to say it looks like your GPU is on the way out, and I would have been convinced about that except for the fact that the glitches stopped when you were recording! That's very odd. Have you tried updating the drivers for your GPU?

Thank you! Yes, i was afraid of that as well, but that didn't seem likely since the card is maybe a year old, and it's working perfectly in other games and also while stress testing in FurMark. It's very odd indeed, i've updated my drivers to the latest stable release, the latest beta release, i've uninstalled the drivers and all remaining files with DDU and reinstalled it, but no sigar.

19 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Before worrying about your graphics card I suggest you try changing the vertical synchronization (v-sync) and refresh rate settings in your graphics card driver software, because your video looks like screen tearing, v-sync should be on by default in KSP but that could be overridden.

I mention this because the issue disappears when you use your recording software, which might itself be forcing v-sync on while it records.

Thanks for the suggestion, i did already changed all refresh rate settings and tried it with v-sync on and off. It's not screen tearing, i've had screen tearing before with some games which was easily fixed with turning v-sync on. And screen tearing looks quite different, that looks more like the upper half your screen is not keeping up with the lower half of your screen. What i have is some kind of glitching, i think GPU or engine related or something like that.

11 hours ago, PimBARF said:

What i have is some kind of glitching, i think GPU or engine related or something like that.

Well, this isn't a known issue in KSP so I'm kinda stuck, your's is the first instance I've seen of this, and as it goes away with your screen recording software it suggests it is a software issue.

As it affects other games it rules out KSP, Runescape uses a different engine.

I'm afraid we may not be able to help you without more info, does this occur in both fullscreen and windowed modes? Also can you please provide your dxdiag hardware report, KSP.log and output_log.txt (it's in KSP_Data).

Also, does ReLive have any options enabled that limit the frame rate or enable screen flipping?

Another thing to try is a single monitor.

This can be caused by a bad solder joint on the video output of the GPU or a dodgy cable.

Is it connected to the monitor by HDMI,DVI etc etc?.

So whats the temps of the GPU when this happens?

Could be overheating RAM on the GPU but thats normally pink squares etc that show.

Let me know the details above and shall go from there :)

Uninstall relive and see if thats casuing issues its known to cause issues my bro had problems with it to.

Not the same issues as you but silly things like STEAM not sizing right,sync issues etc etc

Edited by stk2008

As the glitches disappear when AMD ReLive is used, makes me guess this may be related to the refresh rate (anything decreasing the GPU rate hides the glitches). Refresh rate can't exceed a maximum tied to screen resolution, having two displays effectively doubles resolution. I would check what happens with: lowering refresh rate in the GPU settings; lowering display resolution (both screens). Clearly also the displays have a maximum rate allowed, though should show a message if that's too high. It's just a possibility, can't actually tell for sure, but should be worth a test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.