[1.2.2] The Dwarf Star (Kopernicus)

electricpants

Possible future second star  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If the Phoenix system gets too crowded, I will add another star. What should this other star's type be?

• M-type (Red Dwarf)
    • L-type (Red Dwarf/High-mass Brown Dwarf)
    • T-type (High-mass Brown Dwarf)
    • Y-type (Low-mass Brown Dwarf/Sub-Brown Dwarf)

The Dwarf Star is a mod that adds a tiny red dwarf carbon star1 that, as of now, adds 2 planets, which orbit the star (Which is named 'Phoenix').

I'm also going for a user-based approach, where users here can suggest planets/moons2 to be added around Phoenix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Objects:

PHOENIX: Phoenix is a tiny, tiny L-type main sequence carbon star with a soot-grey3 atmosphere and 1 planet orbiting it.

REKIESSE: With its great bulk, deadly features and great proximity to the star, this planet proves the most daunting of all the Phoenix worlds and it eludes all reasoning. The only supporting knowledge for its presence is that it formed at or beyond the outer border of the habitable zone and migrated in.

SEPTIS: A planet just a tad larger than Kerbin, but with a bit less gravity. It's close enough to Phoenix to feel quite a lot of tidal friction, but isn't close enough to be a molten wasteland. The surface is dotted with volcanoes, as well as patches of blue-black bacteria. No water is on the surface, but there are pockets underground that the bacteria feast on.

NEEBRILLE: Neebrille is a large planet almost entirely made of water, except for the iron core, and some small archipelagos floating ontop of the liquid water. Most of the water is frozen because of low temperatures or high pressures, but there is a wide equatorial 'river' that is liquid.

ABRAXA: Abraxa is a cold, dark world with a hot side covered in liquid ammonia. The planet is smack in the middle of the ammonia based habitable zone, so it's feasible for hosting alien life, and Abraxa will likely be the last refuge for kerbalkind once the Sun dies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to:

Me, for making the mod

@ProtoJeb21, who helps with the planets.

@JadeOfMaar, who makes the resource configs so you can mine the $%&# out of the planets!

DOWNLOAD:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1261/The Dwarf Star

PICS:

KMjZeVe.png

wTSmvah.png

E0cFato.png

E34s9qh.png

S4z0OWp.png

2iSkSxx.png

Z7S3Xsv.png

voknv2U.png

DEPENDENCIES:

Kopernicus (Packaged with the mod)

RECOMMENDATIONS:

KSP Interstellar Revived

RoverDude's Standalone Warp Drive

1: I specifically stated that it's a red dwarf, as most carbon stars are red giants.

2: They have to be plausible. So no moons or magnificent, Saturn-like rings around a planet that orbits Phoenix every 1 day. Also, try and make them unique, not something everyone and their mother has done before. Even better, if your planet is supposed to have life, research the solvent liquid for this life to confirm it can make life of some sort occur naturally.

3: Yes, I spell grey like that. Deal with it.

Also, please note that Phoenix doesn't just have an ammonia-based habitable zone. It also has methane-based, water-based, chlorine-based, sulfur-based, etc habitable zones, just like every other star (Including the Sun).

Edited by electricpants

27 minutes ago, electricpants said:

I made it in GIMP! :)

(Not experienced enough to make one in Kittopia)

Kittopia doesn't require a huge amount of experience to use right. Most of the time, it's like throwing science at a wall to see what sticks.

Also, I have a planet idea: A planet just a tad larger than Kerbin, but with a bit less gravity. It's close enough to Phoenix to feel quite a lot of tidal friction, but isn't close enough to be a molten wasteland. The surface is dotted with volcanoes, as well as patches of blue-black bacteria. No water is on the surface, but there are pockets underground that the bacteria feast on. Atmosphere is about 290-320*K and 50-60% the pressure of Kerbin's atmosphere. You can name it.

5 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Also, I have a planet idea: A planet just a tad larger than Kerbin, but with a bit less gravity. It's close enough to Phoenix to feel quite a lot of tidal friction, but isn't close enough to be a molten wasteland. The surface is dotted with volcanoes, as well as patches of blue-black bacteria. No water is on the surface, but there are pockets underground that the bacteria feast on. Atmosphere is about 290-320*K and 50-60% the pressure of Kerbin's atmosphere. You can name it.

I'll get to work on that. :wink:

(tbh, 90% of that description is going to be the actual description since it's detailed, but not enough to make your head collapse into a black hole)

Edited by electricpants

I have a very interesting idea, if not suggestion for a planet. Gliese 876d 

Rekiesse
[From proper spelling Requies, Latin root of Requiem, for the tragic situation of this planet].
The scheme of this planet is chosen in part because every decent solar system mod ought to have that one planet or moon where players can only Go Big or Never Go.

"With its great bulk, deadly features and great proximity to the star, this planet proves the most daunting of all the Phoenix worlds and it eludes all reasoning. The only supporting knowledge for its presence is that it formed at or beyond the outer border of the habitable zone and migrated in."

Artist%E2%80%99s_view_of_an_exoplanet_in

Information is very scarce on it but what is known so far is that it has:

• 6.83 [Kerbin] masses (and assumed 990km radius).
  • A high inclination and a longitude of ascending node such that at the starting Epoch it doesn't transit Phoenix.
  • A stupidly low orbital radius.../ The lowest of all orbits in this system.
  • Its atmosphere likely shaved down in height by a direct hit from a CME. It retains all Nitrogen and a lesser fraction Ammonia but has lost a lot of precious Hydrogen.
  • Lethal surface temperatures, its equilibrium is at 614 K.
  • Supercritical LqdAmmonia ocean: it persists at both amazing high temperatures and pressures and is easily able to permeate solid objects at the molecular level. If you forego the stupidly low orbit for gameplay or other practicality reasons then apply HazardousOcean to make the ocean deadly. If y'all can do EVE configs, sea level mists would be just right.
  • Many volcanoes.
  • No ice caps.

* Actual Gliese planets are believed to possess Water and Oxygen which have been substituted here, respectively for Ammonia and Nitrogen, in keeping with the Ammonia HZ theme.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have a very interesting idea, if not suggestion for a planet. Gliese 876d 

Rekiesse
[From proper spelling Requies, Latin root of Requiem, for the tragic situation of this planet].
The scheme of this planet is chosen in part because every decent solar system mod ought to have that one planet or moon where players can only Go Big or Never Go.

"With its great bulk, deadly features and great proximity to the star, this planet proves the most daunting of all the Phoenix worlds and it eludes all reasoning. The only supporting knowledge for its presence is that it formed at or beyond the outer border of the habitable zone and migrated in."

Artist%E2%80%99s_view_of_an_exoplanet_in

Information is very scarce on it but what is known so far is that it has:

• 6.83 [Kerbin] masses (and assumed 990km radius).
  • A high inclination and a longitude of ascending node such that at the starting Epoch it doesn't transit Phoenix.
  • A stupidly low orbital radius.../ The lowest of all orbits in this system.
  • Its atmosphere likely shaved down in height by a direct hit from a CME. It retains all Nitrogen and a lesser fraction Ammonia but has lost a lot of precious Hydrogen.
  • Lethal surface temperatures, its equilibrium is at 614 K.
  • Supercritical LqdAmmonia ocean: it persists at both amazing high temperatures and pressures and is easily able to permeate solid objects at the molecular level. If you forego the stupidly low orbit for gameplay or other practicality reasons then apply HazardousOcean to make the ocean deadly. If y'all can do EVE configs, sea level mists would be just right.
  • Many volcanoes.
  • No ice caps.

* Actual Gliese planets are believed to possess Water and Oxygen which have been substituted here, respectively for Ammonia and Nitrogen, in keeping with the Ammonia HZ theme.

I'll get to work tommorrow (I really need to get to bed, it's 2:19 AM for me)! :)

@JadeOfMaar, update:

Rekiesse loaded, but for now feels like being Laythe, so I'll have to figure that out (It should be pretty easy). Rekiesse should be done by tommorrow.

Also, I've just updated the mod to include Septis (ProtoJeb21's suggestion), so you can get started on the resource configs if you're done with Abraxa's.

22 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

If you need help just tag me - I'm sure you won't need it, though!

Unfortunately, I do.

The newest planet, suggested by JadeOfMaar, is supposed to have Supercritical ammonia oceans, so I've used Laythe as the template.

For some reason, the textures I'm using aren't applying correctly to the planet, so it uses the template (Laythe)'s textures.

I can't spot anything that would cause this in the config, so I'm assuming I made some very small error that most people like me wouldn't notice.

If you need the planet's config, it's here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5KO_W-swenrUTF6OEhkck9xVjA

@electricpants

I've finally gotten some time to work on this. I decided to help improve Abraxa's texture - enhancing bumpiness while not making mountains and stuff too sharp. Note: When exporting textures with Kittopia, always set "Normal strength" to about 7 or 6. @StarCrusher96 does that, and textures come out a lot better.

So, back to Abraxa. Here's how it looks now:

2Xq9Ln4.png

The surface is more complex. and the impact basin now has liquid ammonia bleeding into it. Also, there are a few tiny lakes strew about once you get into the atmosphere. I had to increase Phoenix's light intensity, because 0.1 was too low for the planet to even be illuminated. Phoenix has now been changed to appear more fiery red-orange, both because of its namesake and how L-Type brown dwarfs appear in Space Engine.

xNFdJUN.png

What do you think? Should we keep this changes or remove them? In the mean time, I'm going to take a look at Septis and see what needs to be fixed. Also, imgur album! http://imgur.com/gallery/ClaA9

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@electricpants I listed two points. :P Someone forgot to edit something very vital.

Alright, lemme try doing those.

Lemme try fixing those. I just realized you were pointing them out as a mistake. :P

Also, @JadeOfMaar, how do I create flightGlobalIndexes? Do I randomly generate them or is there a pattern (Sorry, I'm not too experienced at complex Kopernicus stuff)?

Edited by electricpants

@electricpants There's a line near the very top of the configs already with that line and a number. You don't need to use it so you can remove the lines but if you do, it is so Kopernicus doesn't randomly order the bodies on the back end (which is bad, and randomly reorder them again when more planets are added or removed, which is worse).

Best practice is to have the star start with a number that is the lower end of a range, then have every planet under that star follow in sequence in that range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.