Fix the early landing gear

@ZooNamedGames, you see game was designed for career and in career when you have these wheels you have "slow" planes. When you unlock better engines you already should have better engines and kerbin in immediate vicinity explored, so you need more aerodynamic solution that won't limit your speed. It is same as in Atmosphere for Eeloo thread, developers are more focusing on important things like mechanics and not to have pretty useless things that will serve mostly cosmetic purpose.

Sorry for writing it like chicken without paragraphs etc but I'm on phone

Edited by Numerlor

Straight up - The landing gear are WAY too bouncy. Every time I land my plane, it bounces my plane forward, causing the nose or wings to explode and just set off a chain reaction causing the rest of my plane to explode. The other wheels aren't bouncy, just the landing gear.

If you could fix this or tell me a way to fix it that would be nice.

I just put on more landing gear, the improved weight distribution helps a lot with bounce at least with my simple aircraft, also can keep things like tails from striking the ground if that's a problem with a particular design.

What sort of descent speed are you landing at? Get it shallow enough and there's very little bounce.

K7V42zY.jpg

What does need fixing is that, as always, we don't have any large steerable gear. The medium gear is too small a nosewheel if you've got the extra-large gear up back.

On 3/29/2017 at 0:16 PM, MustaKotka said:

One improvement you could make is add brakes to LY-05. Often times my designs call for two small wheels in the rear and a single in the front. The 'single' front gear looks hideous if it has to be two LY-01s just for the brakes. LY-05 seems to support weight better (well, unsurprisingly since it's a compressive load instead of tensile) and I think we should be able to use the LY-05 as main gear and a less rigid wheel in the front.

Just open the GearFree.cfg in notepad and add this before the second to last brace:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelBrakes
		baseModuleIndex = 0

maxBrakeTorque = 2		
		brakeResponse = 1
	}

And your wheels will be identical to their non-steerable counterparts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.