Update 1.2.9 Pre-release: Localization Pack is here!

UomoCapra

4 minutes ago, Tykylo said:

Also, concerning the asteroid redirect thingy; if an asteroid crashes into Kerbin, will it leave a crater mark? I hope it does.

It doesn't (but would've been nice).

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Did you also select the prerelease version in the 'betas' tab of the KSP Steam properties? You need both that and the language, because the localization files are only in the prerelease version at the moment.

If even the above check is not queuing an update: under the 'local files' tab, you can click on 'verify integrity of game files...' to force Steam to compare the files and download any differences.

And finally, check your Steam Settings, under 'Downloads': the Steam content server you are connecting to may not have updated its file cache for KSP correctly/yet. Select a different Download Region to force Steam to try some other server, and see if that helps.

Outside of that, you might want to file a bug report so the devs can look at it.

Yes, tried all of that. It's like my steam client doesn't see the other files for the localization and thinks there is only one choice, seems like that's why when I'm choosing other language nothing is happening. 

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

Please try restarting the Steam client, this solves it for me whenever I get a stuck update, or double click KSP to run it, this should force an update.

Not sure what Squad can do about Steam, the question should go to Valve.

Steam restart does not forcing the update because all the files is up to date, they just not the ones I need. And for the same reason ksp runs without any complaints for updates. Oh well, I guess I'm just gonna live with that for now. I'm playing on the english version anyway, just wanted to test this localization and see what's new. Maybe when the full update is out it's gonna sort itself out. Thanks for your time. 

Edited by dok_377
Mistakes in some words were made.

2 hours ago, Samssonart said:

Yes, using GOG Galaxy select KSP and click the "More" button, in Settings, activate Beta channels and select the pre-release one.

Unfortunately there's no Galaxy for Linux

Addition: Galaxy client works under Wine despite having negative success reports on appdb (installed using this instruction), but apparently it only allows to get Windows version of KSP.

Edited by Eklykti

3 hours ago, Samssonart said:

Yes, using GOG Galaxy select KSP and click the "More" button, in Settings, activate Beta channels and select the pre-release one.

I don't have Beta channels activated, but I do have newest update available. Hm.

O'k - checked russian version - no, thank you :)

what is "апоапсида" ????

Apoapsis = "апоцентр" in russian....

It is hopeless... May be if I'll play with my kids someday it would be easier for them, I dunno.

But for now....

Gotta check terrain seams...

Went to the download page and the nomenclature has changed for the different versions.

There's an "X86" version and an "X64" version...

I think someone mismatched their terminology. Is the "X64" the 64-bit version?

The strut/fuel line change is kind of the opposite of what I thought it would be. I thought you would be able to place both ends, then pick up either one and move it while the other remained where it was. Instead, it seems to be that picking up either end completely removes the part, and you have to place both sides again manually. The visual change to the strut part does look pretty nice, though.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

I thought you would be able to place both ends, then pick up either one and move it while the other remained where it was.

Not entirely the opposite: you get to move (with the offset tool) either end without needing to replace them both.

It does however sometimes have funny thoughts about how the interconnecting strut should go, I noticed.

Just checked out Russian translation. Well... It's not bad, but could be far better.

UPD: Decided to look at celestial bodies' names. My eyes started to bleed. "Ив"? "Дрес" "Джул"? Seriously? That's not a 'translation', that's 'transliteration'. Why "Mainsail", "Probodobodyne" haven't been translated as "Мэйнсэйл" and "Прободободайн" respectively then?

Ugh.

Edited by T-Red

1 hour ago, T-Red said:

UPD: Decided to look at celestial bodies' names. My eyes started to bleed. "Ив"? "Дрес" "Джул"? Seriously? That's not a 'translation', that's 'transliteration'. Why "Mainsail", "Probodobodyne" haven't been translated as "Мэйнсэйл" and "Прободободайн" respectively then?

I don't presume to speak for any one linguistic group, but I have noticed some very varied reactions to the translations in languages that use other character sets: some are bothered by still seeing ANY untranslated English terms at all, some are bothered because they feel some terms should have been left untranslated completely (including the character set!). And preemptively, I even saw some people worrying about translated terms not allowing people seeking help, tutorials or videos to find relevant hits in other languages... before they had even seen the pre-release.

In light of the gamut of reactions, I guess I can understand if the translators for Russian in this case opted to walk a 'middle path' of sorts, by using the Cyrillic characters they think the majority might want to see, but transliterate instead of translate CB names to make it easier for them to search for and understand existing videos and tutorials in English. I imagine true translations of the CB names would be a strange task indeed in any case, since as far as I can tell, not a single one of the names has any translatable meaning at all (what does 'Laythe' mean, so we can translate it 'correctly' to <language X>?).

In the end it's likely the localization effort won't be able to please everyone no matter their choices, even among those actually wanting a translation in their native language. Just like there's always been people that have complained (and argued opposing views) about the original English text.

You do have the option to offer feedback through the bug tracker, if you feel you have a strong case for an alternative translation. Just be aware that it's been mentioned that there are translations and corrections still waiting to be 'applied' to the pre-release. This may be one of those areas (or not).

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I imagine true translations of the CB names would be a strange task indeed in any case, since as far as I can tell, not a single one of the names has any translatable meaning at all

There are some pretty obvious references, though. Like, 'Eve' is a feminine name, just like 'Venus', for example. 'Dres' — obviously refers to 'Ceres'. 'Jool' — 'Jupiter'. So, I think that these references have to be present in Russian localization. "Ева", "Дрера", "Юл" respectively.

12 hours ago, evileye.x said:

O'k - checked russian version - no, thank you :)

what is "апоапсида" ????

Obsolete word. You are right, former "apsida"s are now written in russian as "pericenter" and "apocenter". But that's the point of having pre-release - to find all the bugs and squish them. :wink:

P.S. Gog.com is slowpoking again... Or just refusing to distribute "pre-release"...

Edited by Dr. Jet

On 17.03.2017 at 4:12 PM, Eklykti said:

Galaxy client works under Wine despite having negative success reports on appdb (installed using this instruction), but apparently it only allows to get Windows version of KSP.

And that's definitely true, even with lgogdownloader it only shows windows build when trying to use the Galaxy API. And installer packages, which are available for other OSes, are only 1.2.2 yet.

$ /opt/lgogdownloader/bin/lgogdownloader --galaxy-platform l --galaxy-show-builds 1429864849/0
Galaxy API doesn't have Linux support

upd.: but mac os apparently IS supported:

$ /opt/lgogdownloader/bin/lgogdownloader --galaxy-platform m --galaxy-show-builds 1429864849/0
{
        "baseProductId" : "1429864849",
        "depots" :
…

Edited by Eklykti

A few things in the changelog I'm confused about, would appreciate any insight into them.

• GUI control for changing Local/Absolute attachment and editing reference.
  • GUI control for changing symmetry mode.

Where are these located? I don't see them anywhere (and pressing F/R doesn't make it obvious).

• Increased the size of the PAW title bar and pin button.

What does this mean? What is a PAW?