Okay so here's a few things we know, and the obvious conclusion to draw from them:

• There are going to be historic parts
  • Kerbals will get personal parachutes
  • There is one significant part of the American space program between Apollo and Mercury that the stock game does not mimic so far

Conclusion: the DLC will include Gemini parts.

Edited by eloquentJane

Just now, eloquentJane said:

Okay so here's a few things we know, and the obvious conclusion to draw from them:

• There are going to be historic parts
  • Kerbals will get personal parachutes
  • There is one significant part of the American space program between Apollo and Mercury that the stock game does not mimic so far

Conclusion: we're getting Gemini parts.

that would be nice, but wouldn't they be too big for 1.25 and too small for 2.5 size spacecraft? Unless they're adding a whole new 1.875m size class like what like 5 other mods do, like MOLE and HGR and i forget which others

But the only problem I see is the promise made when I purchased the game in 2012 on Steam - I would be entitled to all future DLC and updates free. Will this still be the case?

Edited and apology owed. I didn't see this post until after I had posted the above comment. For the record, and in case anyone else missed it, here's the official SQUAD response to this issue already answered:

Edited by adsii1970

A new 1.875m class would fit the expansion perfectly. Since the stock game is mostly based on US parts im sure there will be more soviet designs in there, before we get gemini we will propably get sojus...

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

so.... I am confused... with 1.3 be a pay to get update or is this a separate expansion pack that is pay to get? (I can live with the second option :P, not very interested in the expansion pack to begin with.

1.3 is a normal update that adds localisation, bugfixes, and the ability to adjust both ends of struts and fuel lines

this is its own thing

i dont remember when i bought KSP... anyway. call me in! i'm looking forward to the new parts! i hope they are kerbalized in the way they look and will fit perfect in the game.

Edited by KingPhantom

Just now, Lupi said:

1.3 is a normal update that adds localisation, bugfixes, and the ability to adjust both ends of struts and fuel lines

this is its own thing

oh ok good :). thxs

also for anyone interested, here is a 1.2 ejector seat and parachute mod made by linuxgamer!

13 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

New parts

Okay cool, looking forward to it. 

Just one thing: When you add new rocket parts can you make sure the old ones are up to par design-wise?

Most notably:

Rockomax_Mainsail_transparent.pngTR-19A.png

1 minute ago, KingPhantom said:

i dont remember when i bought KSP... anyway. call me in! i'm looking forward to the new parts!

Not sure about Steam, but you can see that in the store if you bought it there...

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But the only problem I see is the promise made when i purchased the game in 2012 on Steam - I would be entitled to all future DLC and updates free. Will this still be the case?

Firstly, I don't think KSP was on steam in 2012. Secondly:

20 minutes ago, Badie said:

Yes we will keep our promise 

Just now, Lupi said:

that would be nice, but wouldn't they be too big for 1.25 and too small for 2.5 size spacecraft? Unless they're adding a whole new 1.875m size class like what like 5 other mods do, like MOLE and HGR and i forget which others

It wouldn't surprise me if they do exactly that. It seems to be the obvious logical choice.

Suppose they also expand to a larger size though. Would they go for the 5m size that most mods tend to use (2x2.5m) or the 5.625m size (3x1.875m) that I've seen a couple of times? I wouldn't assume that they would include larger part diameters, but it would certainly make sense if they want players to be able to build better-looking Saturn V rockets which are scaled to fit the existing 2.5m Apollo tech.

Something else I'd definitely be interested in is a Soviet-style parts expansion. Such a large number of parts would definitely be worthy of DLC, and hopefully they'd condense the engines into a single part so that rockets like the N1 don't end up being hundreds of parts at launch.

1 minute ago, eloquentJane said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they do exactly that. It seems to be the obvious logical choice.

Suppose they also expand to a larger size though. Would they go for the 5m size that most mods tend to use (2x2.5m) or the 5.625m size (3x1.875m) that I've seen a couple of times? I wouldn't assume that they would include larger part diameters, but it would certainly make sense if they want players to be able to build better-looking Saturn V rockets which are scaled to fit the existing 2.5m Apollo tech.

Something else I'd definitely be interested in is a Soviet-style parts expansion. Such a large number of parts would definitely be worthy of DLC, and hopefully they'd condense the engines into a single part so that rockets like the N1 don't end up being hundreds of parts at launch.

I personally don't want to see them adding a new size class, when the current ones are so drastically lacking. 3.5m has barely anything aside from fuel tanks, engines, an adapter, and a decoupler. Command pod, service bay, etc would be nice before focusing on another size

3 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Not sure about Steam, but you can see that in the store if you bought it there...

fount it with google. its a little bit hidden in steam.

as i thought it was after april 2013... exact one year :D18. Apr. 2014

3 minutes ago, Lupi said:

3.5m has barely anything aside from fuel tanks, engines, an adapter, and a decoupler. Command pod, service bay, etc would be nice before focusing on another size

I would disagree with the idea that the 3.75m diameter needs a command pod and similar parts. While they would certainly be nice, they don't currently make sense to include considering the fact that the existing stock parts are heavily influenced by American space exploration technology, and so far there isn't an American command pod larger than the Apollo one. An Orion-like expansion might be interesting though, and would fit in well with the 3.75m size class.

Edited by eloquentJane

I'll be.... it's a little off-topic, but all this talk of when someone purchased the game prompted me to fire up Steam and check my copy, and it turns out yesterday was my 2-year anniversary of switching from the demo to the full game. Cool... 

Whatever, I'll pay either way.  :)

1 minute ago, eloquentJane said:

I would disagree with the idea that the 3.75m diameter needs a command pod and similar parts. While they would certainly be nice, they don't currently make sense to include considering the fact that the existing stock parts are heavily influenced by American space exploration technology, and so far there isn't an American command pod larger than the Apollo one. An Orion-like expansion might be interesting though, and would fit in well with the 3.75m size class.

Yeah, it's all roughly based on american stuff, but SLS hasn't flown either and that's what the 3.75 meter parts are based on. An outdated version of SLS, at that. As a size class, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what it has compared to 2.5 and 1.25, which is what I was largely getting at.

8 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I don't think all these parts will accurately resemble old sovjet and US parts. It will be a similar art style but with a Kerbal twist. Russian engines usually have multiple nozzles for a single turbo pump for example but I doubt they would add parts only dedicated to build the N1 or any other rocket. It will still (hopefully) remain a LEGO type experience where you have a set of parts with which you can build anything not just that one thing. More tapered fuel tank variety would for example make sense. 

Edited by LukasKerman

1 minute ago, Frybert said:

Firstly, I don't think KSP was on steam in 2012. Secondly:

Bought it in October of 2013; therefore you are correct. I had to go back into my Steam "history" to find it. I do remember it as being one of those "early access games"  within Steam. I paid $5.99 on Steam for it. At that time I think it was version 0.22 (September 2013).

However, you were ninja'd... :D

Wait, you are adding 3 features that are all possible today, and asking people to pay for them?

Historical parts exist in many mods, from real scale, to stock scale

Personal parachutes for kerbals also exist in many mods

It takes 5 minutes of training to know how to make your own mission using save configs

Hopefully Sqaud will make something unique, as that seems like a waste of money atm