1 minute ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Wait, you are adding 3 features that are all possible today, and asking people to pay for them?

Historical parts exist in many mods, from real scale, to stock scale

Personal parachutes for kerbals also exist in many mods

It takes 5 minutes of training to know how to make your own mission using save configs

Hopefully Sqaud will make something unique, as that seems like a waste of money atm

There is pretty much nothing that hasn't been done by mods.

The good thing about official updates and dlc is that they are pretty much guaranteed to last and be supported as long as the game is. Mods have a habit of just dying regularly.

How about first finishing the base game before adding DLC? The base game isn't even 1.0 worthy. At least balance the parts (stats, weights,etc) <- seriously, that's a couple of hours work... before starting to add new parts.

2 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

When was the border on free - not free expansions? I had 0.25. I bought it form a third party company though, will that affect it?

From the KSP website FAQ

I saw the post stating that players who purchased the game before May 2013 will get expansions for Free. Does this apply to Steam purchases as well?

Yes, any purchase made before May 1st 2013 counts, regardless of the payment or distribution method.

3 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

When was the border on free - not free expansions? I had 0.25. I bought it form a third party company though, will that affect it?

April of 2013.

Also I can't wait! I'm more than happy to throw money at SQUAD for this!

This looks... interesting. I had thought the first expansion pack would be some sort of interstellar expansion. :/ I'm all for new parts and stuff, but since you've been pretty vague on the new features, I'm not sure how excited to be about them. However, this does sound a lot like a Delta-V calculator, which would be awesome! So awesome that you had better not limit at least that to the expansion. We need Delta-V calc in the base game.

It's gonna be either real tough or real fun to mod this into my solar-system-changing planet mods. I could have a lot of fun writing up an alternate Kerbal history based on different solar systems. The Alternis system being a strange warped mirror to our own history of space exploration. Maybe even the default historical missions could be modded and you could do the "Man Will Conquer Space Soon" alternate history.

Very glad that at least I know I will be getting it for free, because I have no money. Heck, if I had to buy the game from scratch, it would cost me twice as much as it did the first time back in 2012.

Edit: for some reason I thought this was a 1.3 thread and not exclusively the expansion.

If the mission builder, the ability to play missions, kerbal parachutes, and all the historic parts are only in the DLC, I can see how there would be fragmentation.

I have long planned to support SQUAD if they did any DLC at a reasonable price, but when I first read the original post I was hopeful that everything except the mission-pack would be part of the 1.3 update...

Edited by Terwin

Congrats, Squad. You're first expansion is something already doable with mods.

Without even mentioning RO and staying stockalike, there are plenty of mods out there that add the missions, add the parts, literally everything you're trying to make us pay for.

Now don't get me wrong here, the "misson maker" sounds like a cool idea. Heck, even that can be done with mods - I think the only "new" thing about it is the scoring system.

I really wish you'd instead focus on, maybe, the part revamp that's been promised for quite some time now?

Paid DLC! I think everyone agrees that we're much better off with Squad just closing up shop and stop working on bug fixes right now, then go down that evil bourgeous path of continuity and earn money for their efforts. Shame! Shame!

/S

Edited by Kerbart
Added the /S tag. Just in case... (thank you @Salvager)

34 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I would disagree with the idea that the 3.75m diameter needs a command pod and similar parts. While they would certainly be nice, they don't currently make sense to include considering the fact that the existing stock parts are heavily influenced by American space exploration technology, and so far there isn't an American command pod larger than the Apollo one. An Orion-like expansion might be interesting though, and would fit in well with the 3.75m size class.

Yeah, but I care more about gameplay than real life equivalencies. Which is why I always end up adding MRS and MK2&3 expansions

23 minutes ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Wait, you are adding 3 features that are all possible today, and asking people to pay for them?

Historical parts exist in many mods, from real scale, to stock scale

Personal parachutes for kerbals also exist in many mods

It takes 5 minutes of training to know how to make your own mission using save configs

Hopefully Sqaud will make something unique, as that seems like a waste of money atm

For existing customers, perhaps. But think of new sales. What sells better: "space simulator with unofficial mods which include historic parts and parachutes" or "space simulator with added DLC in which you can play historic missions with replicas of old American and Soviet capsules and parachute your astronauts if you need to abort" coupled with a nice video in Steam?

1 minute ago, juanml82 said:

Yeah, but I care more about gameplay than real life equivalencies. Which is why I always end up adding MRS and MK2&3 expansions

For existing customers, perhaps. But think of new sales. What sells better: "space simulator with unofficial mods which include historic parts and parachutes" or "space simulator with added DLC in which you can play historic missions with replicas of old American and Soviet capsules and parachute your astronauts if you need to abort" coupled with a nice video in Steam?

What sells better: "inconplete game with paid expansions" or "completed game with extensive modding community"?

Unfortunately I bought KSP on June 8th, 2013 (and then again on May 7th, 2014) so I won't be getting this for free. It sounds interesting though and if it's done well then it could be cool. It'll be interesting to see what happens from the mod supporting front if the code paths between base game and DLC game diverge at all.

10 minutes ago, minepagan said:

What sells better: "inconplete game with paid expansions" or "completed game with extensive modding community"?

Nowadays? The first one, unfortunately.

But in any case, the moment they add a stock dV readout, the game will be complete. 

So Squad finally builds a semi-fix to a crappy career mode.  Yea! Oh crap, I have to pay for it.

As long as its less that 50% of the main product price I guess it would be ok from my perspective.

We have now reached the 'squeeze money out of the customer base phase' of KSP - HOWEVER >>> If this actually gets us real content then its not all so bad.

9 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

As long as its less that 50% of the main product price I guess it would be ok from my perspective.

20 euros for a DLC!? I personally think that's a bit expensive.

Considering that the game usually costs 40 euros, I think a DLC like this should cost maybe 11-12 euros. 15 at most.

Then again, I know next to nothing about marketing, so I have no idea if what price I'm suggesting is ludicrously low.

Edited by TheEpicSquared