Personally I have no problem with paid DLC, and a nice Soviet parts set and a new spacesuit (the missions don't hugely interest me, but I might get more excited when I actually see them) sounds like a perfectly reasonable addition to the game for somewhere around $10. Just make sure there's a good two-kerman pod in there somewhere.

(That said, I do think including Kerbal parachutes in a paid DLC is a bit cheesy. Those should go into the stock game. New parts are one thing, but people shouldn't have to pay extra for their Kerbals to survive crashes.)

I guess I'm in the "Squad needs to keep their business running somehow, better DLC that adds content than pointless merchandising" camp, not the "DLC is evil" camp. As long as we don't end up with microtransactions. Those are evil.

Yes! I am quite happy about this, even that it is a paid expansion (devs have mortgages and car payments too, guys). Hopefully this means Squad will support this game for years to come. We absolutely need better missions, and if this is what I think it is, it could rescue career mode.

I won't mind paying for the DLC and I will ... even if I don't play missions, build missions or even use those new rocket parts as intended. I stopped going to space a long time ago.

Supporting Squad is a good idea if it means they'll be able to develop more products using this fantastic editor. And hopefully they can motivate the Unity devs to solve some problems in the physics department.

4 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Personally I have no problem with paid DLC, and a nice Soviet parts set and a new spacesuit (the missions don't hugely interest me, but I might get more excited when I actually see them) sounds like a perfectly reasonable addition to the game for somewhere around $10. Just make sure there's a good two-kerman pod in there somewhere.

(That said, I do think including Kerbal parachutes in a paid DLC is a bit cheesy. Those should go into the stock game. New parts are one thing, but people shouldn't have to pay extra for their Kerbals to survive crashes.)

I guess I'm in the "Squad needs to keep their business running somehow, better DLC that adds content than pointless merchandising" camp, not the "DLC is evil" camp. As long as we don't end up with microtransactions. Those are evil.

I don't think DLC is evil. I also agree that the devs do need income to support themselves.

But this DLC....we'd literally be paying for stuff we already have access to.

I think a much better option would be a DLC to add in AI space programs, or possibly a "subscription" (heaven forbid!) for an official multiplayer.

After all, those are things that people have been asking for, literally for years....not some stuff that you can already make by going to Spacedock and making a quick search for "historical."

June sixth. :huh: So close!

Although, I swear I remember reading the "free content updates forever" clause. Did they package the EULA with the download? I might have to dig out that old hard disk and check.

If the DLC looks like a good enough investment, I'll buy it. It's definitely worth something, but I'm not yet sure what. I have better things than a glorified mod to spend twenty dollars on, so I hope it'll be less than that. I'd drop a fiver on it, though.

If the DLC improves what are now stock parts (I'm looking at you, awful rocket parts that were supposed to get an update!), will that aspect of the DLC be an update to stock KSP?

Ah yes, DLC that adds nothing but new mod-level content while the game itself still isn't finished, and there's still serious bugs in the public tracker dating back to 2013. Yes, DLC is definitely what this unfinished game needs.

Edited by metalmouth7

11 minutes ago, minepagan said:

But this DLC....we'd literally be paying for stuff we already have access to.

Fair enough. All the more reason to make sure this DLC is really good and worth paying for: if the competition is free, it'll never compete on price, it has to compete on quality.

Squad have a lousy record with free DLC. Kerbin Cup promptly became abandonware and Asteroid Day dropped the central telescope part when it went into the main game.

I just hope that with a paid product they step up their game. It's not enough to merely release a good DLC, they need to ensure that it's supported going forward as the base game gets updates.

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

so.... I am confused... with 1.3 be a pay to get update or is this a separate expansion pack that is pay to get? (I can live with the second option :P, not very interested in the expansion pack to begin with.

1.3 is a free update for everyone who owns KSP :). The expansion is a separate product. 

Ah man, I bought my copy 4 months too late! Oh well. At 1283 hours in, KSP's got the second best price/hour of any game in my library, at 3p per hour. So, I'm not really too upset about having to pay for DLC after years of free updates. :) 

9 minutes ago, cantab said:

Squad have a lousy record with free DLC. Kerbin Cup promptly became abandonware and Asteroid Day dropped the central telescope part when it went into the main game.

I just hope that with a paid product they step up their game. It's not enough to merely release a good DLC, they need to ensure that it's supported going forward as the base game gets updates.

The telescope is being added to the main game soon.

I'm fine with an expansion, and will happily pay for it. To the extent that the "expansion" fixes what should have been 1.0 content, I think that those things should at the very least be added to stock at the same time, just out of principle.

Elements in the OP are clearly expansion territory, but other elements are things that should be stock.

Looks like I'd put the following 2 things in the "should be stock, as well as the DLC" category:

1. The Mission Builder, since this is a critical error in the extant career system. Space programs design missions, in extant KSP, space programs take contracts. This reboot of the career system is clearly needed in stock, IMO.

2. All rocket parts that overlap with stock right now. If the tanks get a reboot to look decent, and decouplers, engines, etc, then stock needs this, since fixing the rocket parts has been promised for a while.

To the extent the DLC and base game are compatible seems to make sense anyway, as DLC adds to the base game, which continues updates, so the base game will be compatible, anyway. I'd think that aside from specifically hooking stuff to features of the DLC, any mod should be able to work with or without the DLC installed, for example. It would be a major headache for modders to have to support divergent versions.

5 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

The telescope is being added to the main game soon.

And for a free DLC, aka "official mod", that's acceptable. For a paid DLC it would be less so. Imagine KSP 1.4 and Making History DLC release together, you get them. Then KSP 1.5 comes out and it's stated that several of the parts in the Making History DLC are not compatible with KSP 1.5 and will not be shown in it, and Squad say they won't fix those parts until a future KSP release.

I for one would be pretty dang peed off about that.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Looks like I'd put the following 2 things in the "should be stock, as well as the DLC" category:

1. The Mission Builder, since this is a critical error in the extant career system. Space programs design missions, in extant KSP, space programs take contracts. This reboot of the career system is clearly needed in stock, IMO.

2. All rocket parts that overlap with stock right now. If the tanks get a reboot to look decent, and decouplers, engines, etc, then stock needs this, since fixing the rocket parts has been promised for a while.

To the extent the DLC and base game are compatible seems to make sense anyway, as DLC adds to the base game, which continues updates, so the base game will be compatible, anyway. I'd think that aside from specifically hooking stuff to features of the DLC, any mod should be able to work with or without the DLC installed, for example. It would be a major headache for modders to have to support divergent versions.

I don't think the mission builder is a career mode thing.
I think it's a revamp of the stock Scenarios in the main menu, to create your own to share with people and challenge them to. Otherwise, they're competing against contract configurator.

The mission builder (and probably the parts) sound like the only "new" thing, as in requiring some dedicated development ressources . The parts sound like an excuse for not doing the rocket parts overhaul, and the parachute thing is just a big WTH.

But the mission builder sounds nice. Let´s see if its worth it....

Edited by rudi1291

Adding DLC to KSP is a really GOOD thing. It's not really a DLC (which is usually designed WITH the game) but an expansion (which is designed after the game is released).

Being able to tweak contracts and mission is a great idea (which is roaming on the suggestion forum for a while).